Share one good thing that happened today....

Did something good happen today

• Total voters
OP
OP
Mastiffsrule

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Santa Claus (Don't tell the elves!)

Last year I participated (by accident, some kind of computer glitch got me signed up?) in R2R Secret Santa 2019. It was fun giving and I received a number of cool gifts; a few off the top of my head that I recall were a heater, Algae Barn pods, various test kit reagents. All very nice and useful. A bag of weed was the only thing I didn't get? I was hoping for some Chaeto, but I guess they ran out! @Paulie069 :)

That accidental gift exchange experience was transformative for me.
A Little back story; Since my 1st wife ditched me over Thanksgiving weekend (last century) and then divorced me, I have grown to loath the holidays so much that I had noticed that I was becoming a drag on others who like all this stuff. I didn't want to be, I just couldn't fake any "Holly, JOlly Christmas" spirit. I didn't go to the mall to see the lights or start fights, just to grab the gifts needed to fill the required list and I was outl
Sure, I have always put up the lights and a tree for the misses & our kids who love this time of year, but for myself, I have just quietly put up with the seasons' depression and tried not to rank the scene too much for the rest of the world that was enjoying themselves.

So back to last year. Getting all the useful gifts last year that were all truly "Surprize!" gifts and not just one more box of chocolate, or that nifty holiday pack of 6 each "One-Size Men's Sox" or a DVD, Last years R@R fun and useful gifts made me look at myself in the darkened mirror and I decided that I could do better with gifting this year.

Yes, I do remember this is the Thankful thread.

I'm thankful that I got roped into SS2019 and I wanted to report this fact. I also wanted to mention that I have just finished buying 99% of the needed gifts for all my children and their significant others for 2020's celebration. I've gotten them each a really nice gift, something useful, and I also bought some sox, underwear, scarves, bowties, and other interesting gifts that I am planning to secret under the tree over the next few weeks.

I will be giving each of them presents from others.

My "daughter's gifts to the other members of our family" will all be wrapped nicely in the same wrapping paper with (forged) gift tags that don't mention me (Santa) but name her as the giver. I will wrap gifts for all the children and their significant friends so that whenever they come by the house for Xmas there will be a few gifts for everyone, from everyone, for each to open. Some of these presents are very nice, and some are just Xmas underwear, but everyone will get more than they expected.

Thanks for the idea Santa.
blackish christmas GIF by HULU

You rock bro.

OP
OP
Mastiffsrule

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is getting pretty thin for me lately, stress and all.

I will a turn a bad day of me not quitting my job I hate into a positive and being thankful and grateful I have a job when so many don’t .

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am thrilled with the old, dis-colored, distressed, ex-library book that I just got in the mail - "Coelenterate Ecology and Behavior" by G. O. Mackie. If you are not familiar with the terms "Coelenterate", "Cnidaria", or this book then I encourage you to take a few minutes a do a bit of exploring! ;Pompus

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thrilled with the old, dis-colored, distressed, ex-library book that I just got in the mail - "Coelenterate Ecology and Behavior" by G. O. Mackie. If you are not familiar with the terms "Coelenterate", "Cnidaria", or this book then I encourage you to take a few minutes a do a bit of exploring! ;Pompus
Thats a pretty in-depth book there Peace!
Maybe a little pun intended :p

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing since last Friday?
I guess then it’s up to me:
I made bail this morning and my representative says I probably won’t have to do any extra time!

Seriously though -my parameters have been stable for the holidays so I could coast on water changes and enjoy (Some) family time.

newfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
once a while i feel guilty and like to do more for the unfortunate ones. I still have my job, stock market is doing well, family is healthy and what else could i ask for (well, besides always larger tank! ).

There are a LOT of homeless panhandler around here. Its getting worst in the last couple of years even pre-pandemic. I see a lot of younger , heathy men, just waiting for ppl to give money. Every once a while, i would offer the physical capable one to deal. 1 hour of simple yard work ; sweep some leave, etc ( a very small yard btw) and i'll buy lunch plus pay him $20. I'll drive him to and back. That's like $30-$40 per hour i'm paying which i thought is a very generous deal. I probably offer this to 5-6 different ppl over the last year and not a single one take the offer. A couple of them even have sign that says "will work for food". Oh well, its just lip service.

I offer the same deal to someone today and again no takers. So that's it. I tried doing something good. Do that count?

I worked hard to get to where i am today and i don't believe in entitlement or free lunch. I have many stories where offered to help the less fortunate ones but if they have to leave a finger, the answer is no.

OP
OP
Mastiffsrule

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am behind as usual,

I had a good dinner, so that was good.

And a bonus good thing for me is to see everyone else still finding at least one good thing a day too. Keep it going.

OP
OP
Mastiffsrule

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My macaw has been stressed and pulling feathers. He has finally started letting them grow back.

So no feathers on the bottom on the cage today was good

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My daughter was born 21 years ago, today.

And for her big birthday, the ladies of our family, added an ear piercing, then enjoyed lunch together, shopping and ended the day with an extended family celebration at the local hibachi.

Love you and so proud of you, Jocelyn, more than you’ll ever know!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a ring on line for my wife two days ago and it is on the truck for delivery this morning. It will arrive on time for Valentines Day, (and a few days before our Anniversary).

I don't care really about the ring. 30 years and she still lets me keep a reef! :)

I recently adjusted the calcium reactor to handle a different media and with a little math I kept the major flow adjustment(s) good enough to not tick of the corals. Lots of things are going well today.

I probably should mention that the cancer is gone? Really!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 31.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back