Share your best money saving tips for the reef hobby!

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think cutting down on expendables is a good thing to look into after you get comfortable in the hobby. For instance for maintaining Alk and Cal I used all for reef for a while, too long but it is a very expensive price to pay for ease of use and it doesn't allow for finite control. Switching to Randys 2 part saved me a lot of money. Working on getting your dilution and dosing schedules setup in a way that maximizes the use of the chemicals is also key in my opinion. Another thing I can think of for those that use filter floss, some filter floss is cheap but some are not. I switched to aqua mesh which can be reused and cleaned, highly recommend. And like others have said, as much DIY as possible for instance phyto, another expensive product that is super easy to make yourself, live baby Brine is also simple to culture and very cheap. The only thing I wouldn't cut corners with is any critical equipment or anything that has to do with the safety of the electrical.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I truly believe this tip would have saved many, many people so much money... research what you are buying before buying it. Don't buy something you don't know much about for any reason regardless of price. If you spend just $20 on something you don't know how to care for it will likely die and there's no getting your money back. I have a feeling even when this happens (it's probably happened to practically everyone at some point) people go right back and repeat the same mistake again. Whatever it is dies like the last one and now you've lost $40...make sure you know what you're buying, it's requirements, and that you can realistically meet those requirements.

56longroof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I browse Marketplace ,Ebay,and the classifieds here constantly. The older technology doesn't bother me since that's what I ran back when I had a reef tank. I just recently picked up a complete 150 tall for $150. 48" metal halide/power compact light for $100. Deals are all over the place if your patient.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my Advice is to not try small tanks if your are a rookie. Everything is easier in a bigger volume of water …also is skip the needle wheels and get a tall Venturi or Beckett skimmer and if You can deal with the heat halides are The cheapest lighting option by far
Upfront cost of halides might be cheaper, but they require 3 times the power to drive vs leds, power cost is an issue for some of us.

shermoen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy equipment in opened box status from online sites and stock up on consumables when there are sales. And there are always sales!

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose kalk instead of two (or three) part. Buy your corals locally, either from a LFS with good pricing or through a coral swap. Tell your wife you want gift certificates for bdays and Christmas (for the overpriced online corals you can't find locally).

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't buy anything on impulse; always wait and plan your purch--Oh! Look! A coral I've gotta buy!!! :star-struck:

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siphon out the water > scoop out the sand and rock > capture the livestock > minimally clean up the tank and equipment > list on Marketplace > ??? > profit.
Hahaha that’s funny.

GIF by Giffffr

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 71 78.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 7 7.8%
Back