Share your best money saving tips for the reef hobby!

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just reiterating what other have said but I do think it is the most important. Have a plan, and spend the money now. You are going to want that nicer light or wave maker down the road and it’s going to be hard to sell the cheap one you bought because you had a tight budget. It’s not something a beginner wants to hear, but I think it’s important.

yanetterer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe not my best tip, just one that hasn't been mentioned yet:

If you must buy from one of the online retailers (Bulk Reef Supply, Premium Aquatics, Saltwater Aquarium, etc) they all have pages for open box items. Some may be harder to find than others, but they are there. If there is a sale it usually isn't more than 15%, sometimes 20%, so if the open box deal is better than that it is probably a decent price. If you aren't able to wait until Black Friday, then open box is also your chance to get a discount on any MAP items that only go on sale during that time.

The downside is that you don't get to inspect the item first. However, the big vendors are usually good about resolving issues.

Speaking of sales, never pay full price for non-MAP items. At least one vendor will have that stuff on sale every month.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm useless at DIY but I've found some tricks.
It may be ugly but using a brute can and a $20 outdoor floodlight has cured all my filtration/nutrient issues and makes me 20-40$ in traded macro algae per month.

IMG_6498.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if it’s been said but…
Don’t buy a fish just because it does a job. Buy it because you like it, you’ll save so much more money. And a lot of the time the fish you like help out with something in a reef.
I did this with most of my fish and I’ve saved so much and have actually spent money on fish I like such as these two angels.
67290159-E30B-4A19-8AE1-674B3C14AACA.jpeg

220D39A5-4531-4C46-A48D-A960782E451C.jpeg

MiniCoco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice to save money in this hobby is to simply to not start reefing in the first place. All kidding aside, take your time planning for all your purchases. There are a lot of options to achieve success in many different aspects of maintaining water. Choose what speaks to you and proceed slowly. Nothing in reefing goes quickly that is good for you and your new pets.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learn how to BUDGET and stick to it. I set aside X amount of money every week for my Hobby, AFTER I pay the bills. Then ONLY go to the coral store with CASH, never spend more than you have in hand. I am a recovering addict (11 years and going strong) with a Class A addictive personality, if I enjoy something (Shopping for coral for example) I do it to excess!! So, I have to be creative in ways to combat my addiction(s).

Until I find a Coral Anonymous Fellowship, I guess ya'll get to be my support group! :)

radfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check Amazon to see if that item from BRS is there for cheaper. For example, comply RO pump and power supply can be found for the price of only the pump at BRS.

piscesgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learn how to BUDGET and stick to it. I set aside X amount of money every week for my Hobby, AFTER I pay the bills. Then ONLY go to the coral store with CASH, never spend more than you have in hand. I am a recovering addict (11 years and going strong) with a Class A addictive personality, if I enjoy something (Shopping for coral for example) I do it to excess!! So, I have to be creative in ways to combat my addiction(s).

Until I find a Coral Anonymous Fellowship, I guess ya'll get to be my support group! :)
I did find this last night while browsing around…. Lol
Congratulations on your ongoing sobriety! I have a family of recovering and dead addicts. Good advice on the set budget.

Attachments

• IMG_2913.png
    IMG_2913.png
    426.5 KB · Views: 37

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the best the first time.

The number of times I’ve started with cheapest and worked my way begrudgingly up to “best” is embarrassing . I ended up spending $200 for crap and then another $200 for what actually works when I should have just bought what works to begin with and saved money.

Last edited:

PhishMonger84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check Amazon to see if that item from BRS is there for cheaper. For example, comply RO pump and power supply can be found for the price of only the pump at BRS.
shopping online at major retailers is a double edged sword. it may work for you now but in the long run it will cost you more. Walmart did it in the 90's, target followed suit, now Amazon is set to ruin all the small businesses. all those places go in low and price out the smaller groups just to put them out of business and than jack up prices. This eliminates local jobs while harming you and your neighbors.

The best way to spend your money is within 20 minutes of where you live.

PhishMonger84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the best the first time.

The number of times I’ve started with cheapest and worked my way begrudgingly up to “best” is embarrassing . I ended up spending $200 for crap and then another $200 for what actually works when I should have just bought what works to begin with and saved money.
Absolutely! being cheap is always more expensive than being frugal.

Trizz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This thread is inspired by a thread about how expensive this hobby can be.

What kinds of tips can you share about reefkeeping that have helped out your bank account.

2 that come to mind for me are:

1. If you are setting up a small tank, check facebook marketplace or kajiji for furniture rather than buying a stand. Often you can find sturdy, heavy, solid wood cabinets and dressers for $50 CAD or less, and as long as you take a minute to check on how it holds weight and how level the top is, it can save you a lot of money. The big box store stands are often mader of a covered MDF and still cost a fortune.

2. Check locally for equipment and frags. Some of my best finds were on Kajiji. When someone loses passion for the hobby, they usually want to get rid of the "wet part" (livestock, rock, coral) ASAP. The equipment is often less reasonable ($100 for a used 20g? Really).
DON'T GET STARTED!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!!

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a ton of great advice here :)
I'll just add, give "your wallet" to a family member who cares about you but could care less about your hobby set some ground rules about access.

Ralph823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1- fakebook market place EVERYTHING I just got a 235 system for under 600

- tank canopy stand $100
- sand free
- ocean saltwater delivered $130
- rock came from old 55 gallon and am currently bleaching 120lbs more to then add to tank.
- fish came from 55
- sump - $50 from marketplace
- Lights $250 on market place
- skimmer I stole from my uncle because he uses his 150 for turtles and doesn't run the skimmer
- pump $60 on amazon

2- corals
- buy some quality corals at the beginning and learn how to frag, trade frags on facebook groups for filler corals

3 fish (for the ocean going folks)
- buy the fish you love to look at and catch your "filler fish"

NorthBayReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Include your spouse in every cosmetic decision. In my case, I still get comments about skimmer smells and costs, but she loves the fish and coral she got to pick out and place!
I also saved a ton on DIY kalk reactor and super happy with the results.

TannerC91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm always checking Facebook marketplace. I've bought full setups that were crazy deals just for some of the equipment and still was awesome. Same thing with groups like local band. People get out the hobby or have sat on it from an upgrade and just want their stuff gone. Don't be scared to ask if they'll part out as well. I don't mind used stuff at all. Nearly everything I have is used from rock to my apex. Does take more work and gasoline.

Back