Share Your Favorite Reef YouTube Videos

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like King of DIY, but it’s not reef. He just does **** that I’m always curious as to how it’s pulled off.

Although I used to roll my eyes when he ran sumps for freshwater, but after getting into saltwater I can kinda see it’s benefit

vikinglord13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like King of DIY, but it’s not reef. He just does **** that I’m always curious as to how it’s pulled off.

Although I used to roll my eyes when he ran sumps for freshwater, but after getting into saltwater I can kinda see it’s benefit

That extra water volume is nice. Three of the freshwater tanks I take care of at work have sumps. It makes it easier to clean the filters and I like pouring the top-off water in the sump rather than in the display

Evans Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been watching humblefish’s interview by reef dudes on YouTube a lot! Brook wiped out my nano tank and I had an awesome Geometric Pygmy Hawk that is hard to find in my area.

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For lots of great information and facts I follow the following youtubers:
Bulk reef supply

Melevs reef
Reef builders
Mile High reefers

They produce greats videos touching on almost all subjects and questions you can think of. :)

Cyclone-G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read a FB post from Ryan (BRSTV) and he said that they just reached 200,000 subscribers! Wow, that is an amazing feet for a small world of hobbyist related channels. I'll put a link to my channel below in case you haven't subscribed yet. I try to make my videos more of a story line and actually dig in and show you how to do it rather than just talk non-stop. I had some complaints on my earlier videos that the music got annoying while I fast forwarded through a project. Over the last year or two I've upgraded my software to Final Cut Pro, and got a much better computer to make videos with. I try not to use fast forwarding as much, and instead do lots of cut-aways to keep the story going. The music has improved too since I joined Soundcloud. Anyway, please subscribe and or give it a thumbs up and comment. I just finished a 4 part series on building a 60 gallon Fiji Cube for my home office. Enjoy!

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loved the YouTube video with fish and corals indigenous to Australia. Every time I have built a new tank, FW or SW, I go through the process of thinking about the theme and what type of flora and fauna I would like. It usually comes down to availability and how much money I have, which usually isn’t very much. Plus, there are certain color schemes I am partial to (blue fish and green and purple corals are my favorite). I also think it would be cool to have a tank that is geographically appointed, like Fiji.

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. It seems like problem after problem, some of them almost seem staged but then you realize they have little to no experience. - Throw in dry rock without any kind of wash cure - 3 months later take a video full of algae. Buy a bunch of fish from a "trusted" source have them get ich 2 weeks later. Meanwhile make a video on quarantine. It also seems like when one person does something 50 more follow suit. As far as algae scrubber, cheato reactor, miracle mud. Now it seems like UV is pretty good. Now it's true not just on youtube a lot of this stuff goes in cycles and some equipment is phased out unnecessarily but a lot of times its replaced by something more efficient and there is no reason to take a step back just like there is no reason to upgrade if it's working for you.

I watch a lot of youtube videos and there are some really good channels, some good big ones but some of them are borderline unwatchable yet people love them. I make youtube videos too, I stared mainly for something to do, but if I have an issue or just need advice I'm going to post here or another forum in 10 minutes vs shooting editing and uploading a video about it over the course of a week.
This hobby is not for the faint of heart. How many of you have spent an afternoon doing Math and patiently measuring salt and water? Understanding Nitrates, Ammonia, Nitrites, Alkalinity, Calcium and their impact on these sensitive environments? It’s Science. It’s not easy by any means and it takes time to learn. I am a beginner and I have been doing this for a few years.
Here is a tip that might help folks.
I was watching Ryan from BRS talk about the pros & cons of different salt crystals and he said two things that rang so true: 1) most people don’t do water changes on a cycle like they should instead, they wait until their animals look sick and then, they change out the water. Continually doing this lowers your animal’s immune systems because they are consistently living in increased Nitrates and Ammonia and 2) True success of an Aquarium is not maintaining a healthy environment for one year, it is maintaining a healthy environment for a minimum of three years.
We cannot tell by just looking at the water what is really happening. Gotta test the water and change it regularly.

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a tank but i'm still gobsmacked every time i see this.

That is so amazingly cool! I used to have three Dwarf Puffers. Mine were freshwater fish, but they liked brackish water. They were the smartest and most inquisitive fish I’ve ever kept. Every morning, they would come up to the glass and watch me make coffee and move around my kitchen. I would peer in on them and talk to them. Their diet are snails so I had a snail tank to grow baby snails for them. I loved them. They would puff up sometimes and they were so cute! They were about maybe an inch and a half long. Little, tiny bulldog fishes that needed 5 gallons each for their territory. Very cool video. Thank you for sharing!

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. It seems like problem after problem, some of them almost seem staged but then you realize they have little to no experience. - Throw in dry rock without any kind of wash cure - 3 months later take a video full of algae. Buy a bunch of fish from a "trusted" source have them get ich 2 weeks later. Meanwhile make a video on quarantine. It also seems like when one person does something 50 more follow suit. As far as algae scrubber, cheato reactor, miracle mud. Now it seems like UV is pretty good. Now it's true not just on youtube a lot of this stuff goes in cycles and some equipment is phased out unnecessarily but a lot of times its replaced by something more efficient and there is no reason to take a step back just like there is no reason to upgrade if it's working for you.

I watch a lot of youtube videos and there are some really good channels, some good big ones but some of them are borderline unwatchable yet people love them. I make youtube videos too, I stared mainly for something to do, but if I have an issue or just need advice I'm going to post here or another forum in 10 minutes vs shooting editing and uploading a video about it over the course of a week.
After posting what I did, I reread your post and realized that that was the angel on my shoulder speaking. I’m new so I guess I don’t want to show my truly cynical self too early. The devil on my shoulder has this to say...maybe when you have a bunch of money (which would be nice and I don’t begrudge anyone because they’re rich) having an aquarium might be cool. Going out and buying a bunch of cool stuff an Aquarist does not make. It takes years and years and many failures and frustrations before you really even begin to trust yourself a little bit. I hurts me when my animals are hurting. I don’t like seeing people being so selfish and wasteful without sensitivity towards God’s creatures and the planet. Sort of the way our world has moved.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully self promotion is ok. Here’s my reefing channel:

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am more of a fresh guy (until I launch my fowlr this fall). I like King of DIY. I also like Green Aqua. Serpa Designs is cool.

for reef I don’t really know that much for YouTube because there are very few fish related videos, it’s mostly all reefs. I am partial to FOWLR because I have no way to set up rodi right now

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy does mainly lives but here's a video of his tank. I find it unusual mostly because it's a damsel dominated tank :)

U

User1

View Badges
This guy does mainly lives but here's a video of his tank. I find it unusual mostly because it's a damsel dominated tank :)

Have you seen @ca1ore 's tank? He has over 60 Damsels in his 450 gallon monster :)

Edit: You are right - A LOT OF DAMSELS!!! I think he wins :D

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back