Share your largest coral that you own currently

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The irony of aspiring to large colonies is that they quickly become problematic; even in large tanks. I've a green Aussie tabling coral that is about 10"x8" and it's overshadowing a number of colonies deeper down in the tank. Large colonies also mean less room for a more diverse assortment. The only exception for me is the green slimmer. It's open enough to not excessively shade other corals and many of my smaller fish (including 30 yellow tail damsels) frequently shelter themselves amongst it's many branches. Pretty cool actually.

pharazon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The irony of aspiring to large colonies is that they quickly become problematic; even in large tanks. I've a green Aussie tabling coral that is about 10"x8" and it's overshadowing a number of colonies deeper down in the tank. Large colonies also mean less room for a more diverse assortment. The only exception for me is the green slimmer. It's open enough to not excessively shade other corals and many of my smaller fish (including 30 yellow tail damsels) frequently shelter themselves amongst it's many branches. Pretty cool actually.

Hm nope. Sounds like a tank size problem not a coral size problem.

I jest, of course - I’m just jealous that all my corals are babies.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My largest S. gigantea anemone. Currently about 16 inches fully expanded, about 5 years in captivity/in my tank date. Technically, anemones are not corals but still this is the largest animal in my tank at this time.
Tank 2016013104.jpg

Current Picture
Gigantea2018051701.jpg

Last edited:

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some large colonies in this tank. It's 1,8 meters deep, just to get the proportions.
This is not a tank I own, it's a tank at my work, a public aquarium. So you can say the owners are the taxpayers in the city of Gothenburg:)
I think the largest colony is the Stylopora on the right. My guess is that's it's about 1 meter wide. The Sacrophyton is not far from that as well :)

IMG_5466.JPG

There's more info about this tank and our aquariums in my build thread.

/ David

U

User1

View Badges
I just removed this coral a few months ago. It is a Red Dragon Acro it was larger that a basket ball aprox. 18-20" across when it was removed. The tank is a 30x30x24tall for reference
1 Left side FTS.jpg
2 Front.jpg

Trying to imagine how you even move that without breaking it. I see you are in Roseville - any good stores in that area?

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sstanley223 - Hey what type of coral is this, I was shipped the wrong coral order a month or two ago and wound up with one of these, I was never really able to identify it, sadly mine is smaller than a quarter, my biggest coral being a frogspawn, which isn't really impressive.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My largest coral is my frogspawn. It's probably about 4-5 inches across when fully open, which doesn't sound that impressive, but it is when you consider it's just a single frag/stem. Strangely enough my Euphyllia seem to thrive when the nitrates are higher. Go figure:

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one that I am sure everyone will love lol. My tank at work in my office has a Kenya tree the size of a basket ball. It’s base is about 5 inches thick. Using my phone so the pic sucks. Lights aren’t bright yet so it’s still tucked in some.

42ADF5DD-812C-42FE-9E0B-DFFA22E6B3FC.png

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E9EE6857-ACA2-4F97-934C-993C9E12E065.jpeg
Would have to be my Montipora Spongeode. Started out about the size of a quarter. Grows faster than my lawn! It’s the size of a dinner plate now.

Low key, this is one of my favorite montis of all time. Interesting growth pattern, quick grower, hardy, huge polyps, etc. Highly underrated in my book. I also have a sweet spot, since this was the first SPS I was able to keep alive for more than a month back in the day lol.

Saltdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a pice I picked up less them six months . It has taken off . And the best part is I am not sure exactly what it is.
Screenshot_20180521-192626.png

reefrf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your secret. That’s been an elusive one for me. I can grow many species that size in that time frame. I’ve tried 4 Hawkins. I can’t get them past the 2” mark before they necrose

Yeah, I understand your frustration. Mine is the Ice & Fire Enchinata, for the life of me I cannot keep that coral. I keep trying though. [emoji4]

For me, the most important elements are stable alkalinity, proper lighting & water flow.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back