Sharing my experience with “Dino X”

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a 220g waterbox back in January 2021.

I did a four month cycle with dry rock, ammonia and microbacter. Essentially I follow the WWC/BRS hybrid system EXCEPT for the sand part. Now I have sand blowing everywhere but that’s another discussion.

added tang gang, more fish and some Zoas.

month 10, October, Dino outbreak as soon as I upgraded my lights. I had zero phosphates (resolved) and 5 nitrates. Perfect water otherwise, all parameters always test the same as I use an auto doser.

anywho point being above is that Dino shows up after a long time of doing something wrong. In my case, super low nutrients. I feed like three cubes plus a day now.

My LFS suggested that I try Dino x since all I really have in the tank is fish. So I went for it, and mind you I did a multi pronged attack for this.

first: patience.

3 days lights out, nothing changed.

Started adding Dino X on November 3, 2021.

I under dosed a bit just incase. I used 35ml every other day, as I wanted to make sure I was not overdoing it.

started running blue on my LEDs only and switched my T5s to a 4 hour photoperiod versus 9 hours so I can give other algae a fighting chance to take up nutrients over the Dino’s.

I started changing my filter socks daily.

I started scrubbing the rocks manually, in tank once a week.

At first the Dino’s where so bad that I just grabbed my octo 4, put it at 100% on constant mode and just blew At EVERYTHING. Sand, rocks, other pumps, all of it. It would return the next day, but not completely as the Dino X was in the system at the same time. During this time I was changing filter socks twice a day as they would get clogged quickly.

November 11th - significant reduction in Dino’s. No longer colored, now grey looking and getting picked up by the flow. So much of a difference the wife noticed.

my living room smells like algae. The skimmer is kicking.

I’m going to continue dosing until November 25th, as I think I’m done already but just incase..

In addition I added the new CoralVue in-sump algae turf scrubber and I run it on a reverse photoperiod. This was added five days ago. Nothing is growing in it yet.

so there you have it, I managed to wreck the Dino’s.

please note, and I will follow up on this:

other hobbyists have reported that their Dino’s came back after dosing Dino x, but I have not found a detailed plan of attack like mine in conjunction with the use of Dino X. I will update at the end of December to see if I was truly successful.
Also note that I have no idea what type of Dino’s I have.

hopefully this helps someone!

Dcloser12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you were skimming did you run it wet and dispose of the liquid? And did you still run carbon?
I took the cup off, let my skimmer run over for the first 48 hours. I started skimming after that and I skimmed dry,never ran carbon. I just did regular water changes.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 10% water change and ran a big bag of carbon.
Of course I had cyano show up but I got rid of that too.
I’m running an algae turf scrubber now and pretty soon UV sterilizer

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back