Sharkbait’s 40 Breeder Upgrade

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I’m tossing around ideas for further stocking, dragonets have come to mind. I know a mandarin would be very hard to maintain in this size tank, but what are your thoughts on a ruby red? With my luck, I wouldn’t be able to train one on frozen, so assuming that, would I still have to resort to dosing pods or does a 40B offer enough space?
I've got a spotted dragonette in a 40. no issues, except he was looking a little skinny a while back. I dosed some pods and got back on a regular phyto schedule and he's chunked back up. You have enough substrate and rock that you should be ok.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
As I’m tossing around ideas for further stocking, dragonets have come to mind. I know a mandarin would be very hard to maintain in this size tank, but what are your thoughts on a ruby red? With my luck, I wouldn’t be able to train one on frozen, so assuming that, would I still have to resort to dosing pods or does a 40B offer enough space?
Mine (dragonet) never ate frozen until I started making my own food; I got the freeze dried copepods from BRS and put some in the cubes I made (along with a lot of other stuff) and I started seeing him go after the cubes when they'd make it to the bottom of the tank.

Solga

2 lost souls swimming in a fish bowl ...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine (dragonet) never ate frozen until I started making my own food; I got the freeze dried copepods from BRS and put some in the cubes I made (along with a lot of other stuff) and I started seeing him go after the cubes when they'd make it to the bottom of the tank.
Not trying to hijack Sharkbaits thread, but care to share your recipe ?

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Not trying to hijack Sharkbaits thread, but care to share your recipe ?
Some posts I made about the food.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Finished setting up some new equipment!
I added an additional Seachem Tidal Filter and added a second light to the front of the tank.
FE309120-1663-4564-9B7F-2988FA3C3B40.jpeg

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well today was a massive stroke of luck, because I was at the fish store to pick up some more snails when I caught out of the corner of my eye a red rooster pygmy waspfish, which was always a dream fish of mine. So I obviously couldn’t say no. In other news, the angelfish is now in the main display, and Luxo HATES her. Hopefully the bickering between them dies down, but there is definitely a big feud between the two fish.
485EB622-C15D-4782-85B6-61B35B35B7D7.jpeg
66E75CA0-8009-411F-BFAC-419AFB950BA3.jpeg
547C2602-4A5A-4BED-AED8-E539EAE52C08.jpeg

Last edited:

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well today was a massive stroke of luck, because I was at the fish store to pick up some more snails when I caught out of the corner of my eye a red rooster pygmy waspfish, which was always a dream fish of mine. So I obviously couldn’t say no. In other news, the angelfish is now in the main display, and Luxo HATES her. Hopefully the bickering between them dies down, but there is definitely a big feud between the two fish.
Maybe Jaws.. I mean, Luxo has finally met her match

Fishn28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is you current stock list?

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is you current stock list?
2 occy clowns (female mocha and male misbar Darwin)
1 aurora goby + tiger pistol shrimp
1 kamohara blenny
1 coral beauty angel
1 red rooster Pygmy waspfish (in quarantine)

CUC
Hermits
Nassarius, trochus, nerite, cerith snails, zig zag periwinkles
Emerald crab
Hitchhiker brittle star + sponges + fan worms + bristleworms (etc.)

And all the coral

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 occy clowns (female mocha and male misbar Darwin)
1 aurora goby + tiger pistol shrimp
1 kamohara blenny
1 coral beauty angel
1 red rooster Pygmy waspfish (in quarantine)

CUC
Hermits
Nassarius, trochus, nerite, cerith snails, zig zag periwinkles
Emerald crab
Hitchhiker brittle star + sponges + fan worms + bristleworms (etc.)

And all the coral
Cool lookin' conch (in your last pics) doesn't get an honorable mention?
'sup wit dat?
...just kidding

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost bought a wasp fish Saturday! I was fairly set on not getting anything otherwise it'd be mine. Also I don't know much about them...

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool lookin' conch (in your last pics) doesn't get an honorable mention?
'sup wit dat?
...just kidding
Tbh I forgot while I was making the list lol - just got it yesterday.
Looks like it might be a tiger conch but if anyone could give a positive ID that would be great.
I almost bought a wasp fish Saturday! I was fairly set on not getting anything otherwise it'd be mine. Also I don't know much about them...
I really had no intention of getting fish either - went in for snails and neon tetras (out of tetras) and said the only way I would buy a fish is if they had a Pygmy waspfish. I was quite surprised when I saw it…
I think I know enough to keep it alive, but my biggest hang up is going to be feeding so I’ll have to do more research there. The lfs said it ate a small yellow watchman (or it disappeared somehow and this is the most likely culprit), so at least I know it’s eating. Would get pretty expensive if that’s all it eats though lol

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbh I forgot while I was making the list lol - just got it yesterday.
Looks like it might be a tiger conch but if anyone could give a positive ID that would be great.

I really had no intention of getting fish either - went in for snails and neon tetras (out of tetras) and said the only way I would buy a fish is if they had a Pygmy waspfish. I was quite surprised when I saw it…
I think I know enough to keep it alive, but my biggest hang up is going to be feeding so I’ll have to do more research there. The lfs said it ate a small yellow watchman (or it disappeared somehow and this is the most likely culprit), so at least I know it’s eating. Would get pretty expensive if that’s all it eats though lol
First, who's out of neon tetras!?

Does it need target feeding? Would a turkey baster work? Baby mollies? Watchmen goby's would get expensive.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, who's out of neon tetras!?

Does it need target feeding? Would a turkey baster work? Baby mollies? Watchmen goby's would get expensive.
Somehow both the lfs was and last time I was at the local petsmart they didn’t have any either. Naturally whenever I’m actually looking for something I can’t find it lol
Early on I probably need to target feed, but as time goes on I assume it will learn where food comes from. Ghost shrimp seems to be a popular feeder so I may have to go that route if I can’t get him on frozen. If he only takes fish, I’ve got some endlers breeding (though the dwarf frogs seem to be limiting how many males I have).

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice u have a tidal filter maybe 75? Do you have it running at 100%?
I have the 55 running at 100% (though I recently added a 30 also at 100%). The 75 is definitely the best choice for the 40B considering it can hold much more media. I had to get the extra 30 just for the extra space (and as a bonus it acts as a mini fuge).
@lion king can probs give you good info on the waspfish
I’ve been meaning to tag him about feeding. I read through his thread on them and it seems that they are finicky at first but will come to readily eat frozen with time.
I’ve got plenty of large amphipods in the dt, I do wonder if I can get it eating those.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somehow both the lfs was and last time I was at the local petsmart they didn’t have any either. Naturally whenever I’m actually looking for something I can’t find it lol
Early on I probably need to target feed, but as time goes on I assume it will learn where food comes from. Ghost shrimp seems to be a popular feeder so I may have to go that route if I can’t get him on frozen. If he only takes fish, I’ve got some endlers breeding (though the dwarf frogs seem to be limiting how many males I have).
my experience with guppies is it really only takes one male.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 more question for ya
Did u add both of your clowns at the same time? If not how was your experience with getting them to live together?
I have had the monster Luxo for a little over 2 years, I got her and a male at the same time in a 13.5 gallon tank. Around august that year, Luxo decided she didn’t like that clown and killed it.
The new one, sharkbait, was added summer last year, and they immediately bonded and have been doing well together since.
My recommendation is to get two of the same or similar breeds and one significantly smaller than the other to maximize chances of success.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back