OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hard time believing Luxo would be affected by aggression. I feel like she would just turn full blown satan and take that angel out. Hopefully it’s something easy to treat like flukes and the treatment is effective. I think I saw you said you tried fresh water dips on them, was there any improvement after the dips, even if it went back?
There was a slight improvement of behavior after the dip, but that only lasted for around a day. I really hope it is flukes, because that would probably be easiest to treat, especially compared to a protozoan or internal disease.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy….what a chaotic morning.

I woke up and checked on the quarantine tank, only to find the blenny in even worse condition. Something about the quarantine environment just didn’t seem to sit well with this one. With no visible parasites on the fish, I decided to take the risk and move the blenny into the much more suitable display tank. Hopefully it has a good chance in there.

Well, as I was transferring him, I noticed that my Hawkfish was gone!! I had feared that it would drop dead eventually, but the timing in this case couldn’t be any worse. I didn’t give up, and spent a really long time searching every crevice. I decided to proceed with moving in the blenny, as he didn’t seem to be getting any better in the meantime. After about an hour, I finally found the hawkfish’s tail sticking out of a rock. It took me a while to determine if he was alive, but he began to twitch after I poked and prodded at the tail. My guess is that he went nose-first into a crevice last night while chasing an amphipod and wound up stuck there. I tried various methods to remove him, none of which worked, so I resorted to moving the entire rock structure out of the tank. The structure was so well-glued and the hawk was so deep into the hole that I actually had to smash the rock itself to get him out. By the time this happened, he wasn’t looking too hot (I had to look really close for any sign of breathing), so I kept him in isolation for a while and moved him around with a net until he began breathing and swimming again.

Now, after a couple hours, the hawk is accounted for and the blenny is in the display tank. Unfortunately, it currently stands with two fish in not-so-great condition, both lying listlessly on the ground, one in shock and the other suffering from ammonia poisoning. I’ll keep you guys posted on whether they improve or not. Fingers crossed that both fish pull through.

1DC36FFA-CCE6-4C22-9ABE-C7805AF30227.jpeg
BE492414-4A88-48B2-93CA-48FF198933B2.jpeg
4A0E5E34-BAD1-4BDA-8347-BB6FE359315E.jpeg

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, I'm so sorry for the issues Sharkbait! I hope they all pull through.
Thanks! Hopefully everything works out. I’m going to treat the display tank with PraziPro in the chance that this is causing the odd behavior in the clownfish and hawk.
The blenny’s tail seems pretty messed up, so it looks as though the other fish in the quarantine tank picked at him while he was dying. I hope the new environment helps perk him up. The red sores around gills are already gone.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, the blenny did not make it to the morning. I feel really guilty about this one, although I have heard many things regarding quarantine-related deaths, and how it is very easy for something like this to happen. I still can’t help but feel like I’m the one at fault here, as I waited for days before acting on the problem, and only helped the blenny when it was too late for him. Hopefully I will do better next time.
Rest In Peace, Goofy the blenny.
824A1B5E-E37E-4A7F-AFAC-5E52858115FF.jpeg

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, the blenny did not make it to the morning. I feel really guilty about this one, although I have heard many things regarding quarantine-related deaths, and how it is very easy for something like this to happen. I still can’t help but feel like I’m the one at fault here, as I waited for days before acting on the problem, and only helped the blenny when it was too late for him. Hopefully I will do better next time.
Rest In Peace, Goofy the blenny.
824A1B5E-E37E-4A7F-AFAC-5E52858115FF.jpeg
sorry :crying-face:

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I found the problem in the tank with regards to the Hawkfish. This morning, I found the hawk with frayed fins and bite marks. I had suspected that aggression was the problem, but now I think it’s confirmed. Although I’d normally blame Luxo, considering the fact that she also stopped eating, I think the angel might be the problem. I’ll continue to monitor, however. As far as the Hawkfish goes, I set up an isolation tank and moved him out of the main display so he can recover. I’ll continue to investigate and hopefully find the culprit.
ADC52F18-BE15-4BD3-97BF-4B4549E9845C.jpeg
6A8BD030-F1C2-4B4A-91F5-251131513522.jpeg
9B7A8805-DEDC-40BB-8B1B-3C3B48B7EB4D.jpeg

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if the Hawkfish will be making it. He still swims around—or at least tries to—but seems to have developed a terrible bacterial infection from the wounds. I dosed kanaplex, but I don’t know if the Hawkfish will survive. The good news is that the clownfish seems to have began eating again, which makes me suspect that she was a part of this whole situation.
47F85CAE-AE91-4DBE-8DE2-012D0100461D.jpeg
A9675B64-BB1B-400D-8D9E-566FCA0E99D4.jpeg

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if the Hawkfish will be making it. He still swims around—or at least tries to—but seems to have developed a terrible bacterial infection from the wounds. I dosed kanaplex, but I don’t know if the Hawkfish will survive. The good news is that the clownfish seems to have began eating again, which makes me suspect that she was a part of this whole situation.
47F85CAE-AE91-4DBE-8DE2-012D0100461D.jpeg
A9675B64-BB1B-400D-8D9E-566FCA0E99D4.jpeg
Sorry about the hawk but happy to here the murder fish :winking-face: Is acting better.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hawkfish passed away last night…
This is quite saddening, as both this in the blenny felt entirely avoidable if only I had acted sooner. I need to determine whether Luxo or the angelfish killed the hawk, and then remove the culprit. I’ll need to plan my stocking list much more carefully, as I’m finding more and more these days just how unpredictable these fish can be.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hawkfish passed away last night…
This is quite saddening, as both this in the blenny felt entirely avoidable if only I had acted sooner. I need to determine whether Luxo or the angelfish killed the hawk, and then remove the culprit. I’ll need to plan my stocking list much more carefully, as I’m finding more and more these days just how unpredictable these fish can be.
Is Luxo back to eating normal again?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep looking at luxo and the more I see in common with my Black Photon now named Jaws… She goes after tankmates that are larger than her and also the Foxface. Nothing scares her, now just to find her a misbar mate but even then, I doubt she’d accept a mate.
EB08B4CE-51C5-4E0F-AF82-9199315CA41C.jpeg

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy…
Another day, another catastrophe.
This morning, I think one of my clove polyps got sucked into the powerhead and shredded—causing all my stony corals to melt…
I did a massive water change which should hopefully correct things. My newest frogspawn, unfortunately, is in isolation with suspected brown jelly disease. I’ve treated it with everything I’ve got, but it’s 50-50 on whether it will survive…
I really hope it does. My wallet cannot take another loss…

Back