SPR1968

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your nitrates and phos?
Nitrate is 3 - 4 and phosphate yesterday 0.02 so very low. I’m wanting about 5-10ppm nitrate so steadily climbing and I’m feeding a bit more. Im feeding the corals around twice a week with a mixture of Reef Energy and Reef Roids while nitrates are at the lower levels

So my theory with established colonies is, the ones sold certainly by my LFS’s, have been grown in another hobbyists tank for several years in most cases, and then sold to the LFS. they’ve become accustomed to certain water parameters, and then given the first shock of going into the LFS‘s water. And then I come along...... and they get another water shock and the culmination of this is they don’t survive very long.

I realised this several years ago in the S650 as I had gotten into the habbit of just replacing them, then I stepped back and thought their not surviving long term, yet any type of frag grows without any issues. So I stopped buying them

When I purchased the brain coral, the new tank was pretty empty, so I thought that would look stunning, completely forgetting my theory. So I’ve now been reminded again!

I suppose it might make a good door stop or something.....

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow shaun all caught up! The pooch is so beautiful! And the grilling view, ;Drool

Spring looks to be in full swing at your end. Nice! Been chilly here..

I died laughing at the last 2 pages. Good stuff. The DEEP is a dream room. Goals.

Sorry about the colony taking a hit. Hope it bounces back soon.

Cheers
Thank you Rich, I’ll try and get a better picture of the ‘deep’ that was a quick shot. I’ll try and catch the atmosphere in the evening if I can hold the camera still! Lol

The weathers been very nice here over the last few weeks and the forecast is good. We had another bbq yesterday and I must say the Weber is very good, they've advanced somewhat since my old Outback which was around 12 years old.

Im currently experimenting with the Weber smoker box, last night we had the poultry wood chips on a spatchcock chicken. I make up a hot marinade from various spices and sauces lying around and just make it up as I go along

Weve got 3-4 more hot days forecast so we will be having some more bbq with different things.

Oh I nearly forgot, the mountain bike. Well it’s not arrived yet, but I have been researching cycle shorts and they have also advanced somewhat so I’ve ordered 2 pairs, and some ointment. I’ll post some pictures when they arrive!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my theory with established colonies is, the ones sold certainly by my LFS’s, have been grown in another hobbyists tank for several years in most cases, and then sold to the LFS. they’ve become accustomed to certain water parameters, and then given the first shock of going into the LFS‘s water. And then I come along...... and they get another water shock and the culmination of this is they don’t survive very long.

I realised this several years ago in the S650 as I had gotten into the habbit of just replacing them, then I stepped back and thought their not surviving long term, yet any type of frag grows without any issues. So I stopped buying them

When I purchased the brain coral, the new tank was pretty empty, so I thought that would look stunning, completely forgetting my theory. So I’ve now been reminded again!
Loved this. Corals grow based on the flow, lighting and parameters. I always felt the bigger the colony, the more it relied on that stability. I think flow plays the biggest role. The structure of a colony must grow specifically and optimally into the flow. The flow is crucial to the shape (lighting too). Change the flow drastically, or move it to a new tank, and the colony may lose its unique ability to consume.

A frag is just a baby deciding what it wants to grow into. It will often encrust and secure itself before growing out. It senses its environment first, then grows in reaction to it.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loved this. Corals grow based on the flow, lighting and parameters. I always felt the bigger the colony, the more it relied on that stability. I think flow plays the biggest role. The structure of a colony must grow specifically and optimally into the flow. The flow is crucial to the shape (lighting too). Change the flow drastically, or move it to a new tank, and the colony may lose its unique ability to consume.

A frag is just a baby deciding what it wants to grow into. It will often encrust and secure itself before growing out. It senses its environment first, then grows in reaction to it.
Exactly and you’ve summed it up better than I did, but yes that’s my theory.

I don’t have any scientific evidence other than experience of larger colonies not surviving long term in water parameters which are pretty stable, but as you say flow plays a vital part. It’s impossible to replicate in different tanks, because you have no way of knowing what the colony is accustomed to, other than high medium or low.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly and you’ve summed it up better than I did, but yes that’s my theory.

I don’t have any scientific evidence other than experience of larger colonies not surviving long term in water parameters which are pretty stable, but as you say flow plays a vital part. It’s impossible to replicate in different tanks, because you have no way of knowing what the colony is accustomed to, other than high medium or low.
Right! The lighting is easier to mimic. The flow relies more on the whole tank often with several returns and devices. The placement and general aquascape are also major factors in flow.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you here, but I also think most reefers with established tanks who move colonies on after several years and especially LPS/ softy systems will have far higher nutrients than you have, in my experience nothing kills a colony quicker than cleaning up water quality too quickly. Light I believe is much less important with LPS, unless you are suddenly moving them from a LPS tank with low light, to an SPS tank with tons of light... flow and position in food currents is a bit of an unknown to me, to comment on

Last edited:
OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this thread, Looking awesome!
Thank you and thanks for saying hello!

Ill be testing you on the previous 110 pages shortly! Lol

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double post so...

Here’s a half picture of a clown, but he’s not laughing very much!

70BFE5F7-012A-4295-957A-94F04EA2E75E.jpeg

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill be testing you on the previous 110 pages shortly! Lol

This should surely be interesting. Without bookmarks and pictures, I'll be shocked if you can remember more than 3 pages of it yourself! :p

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah the ’Black Gold’, I made this in a plastic bucket you know, and it’s delightful darlings delightful!! Lol

51451E82-96E6-44DF-B292-1CDC8CD2DA07.jpeg
@najer and I are still waiting for an invitation for the beer tasting, sorry tank warming party....

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah the ’Black Gold’, I made this in a plastic bucket you know, and it’s delightful darlings delightful!! Lol

51451E82-96E6-44DF-B292-1CDC8CD2DA07.jpeg

Looks tasty.

Little less drinking stout and a little more updating Galapagos. Better yet, a little more drinking stout and a little more updating Galapagos!

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried to capture sunrise in the new system as best I can so here’s a short video. The tank is just over 4 months old

I hope you enjoy it anyway......

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back