Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shaun, did you see the post I tagged you in? He's using a deltec 3000(?) calcium reactor and had a question about it. I thought you might know...

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shaun, did you see the post I tagged you in? He's using a deltec 3000(?) calcium reactor and had a question about it. I thought you might know...
No i cant see an alert at all. Do you have the thread link ?

Might be tomorrow as the distilled water is starting to take effect!! Lol

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talking about Lyretail Anthias....

6408C224-2A3C-48E1-988C-C5677B5CC948.jpeg

Whats with u island guys?
@chopsie @najer @SPR1968
Where do I sign up for photography lessons? Sweet baby jesus you all take fantastic photos.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The X Filter 1.7 works like a dream in the big tank, it really does, and I changed the filter roll yesterday. For the first time in 3 months!

I used the 25 micron paper and it lasted exactly 3 days under 3 months, but there must have been another weeks worth left on it. It’s just easier to change if you don’t let it run out because you just staple the new roll on and feed it though, and it takes just a few minutes.

I’m running it with the vortexes completely closed so it’s taking the full water flow through the paper so the performance is very impressive. I’ve put 32 micron paper in it this time, just to use it up, so I’ll see how long that lasts.

B05B4DAD-CC9C-4D89-AC73-E4A042D739E2.jpeg

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The X Filter 1.7 works like a dream in the big tank, it really does, and I changed the filter roll yesterday. For the first time in 3 months!

I used the 25 micron paper and it lasted exactly 3 days under 3 months, but there must have been another weeks worth left on it. It’s just easier to change if you don’t let it run out because you just staple the new roll on and feed it though, and it takes just a few minutes.

I’m running it with the vortexes completely closed so it’s taking the full water flow through the paper so the performance is very impressive. I’ve put 32 micron paper in it this time, just to use it up, so I’ll see how long that lasts.

B05B4DAD-CC9C-4D89-AC73-E4A042D739E2.jpeg
Thanks for the details. Who needs brs... we get reviews on everything here. User friendly :)

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a Sacrophyton Glaucum coral I added to the tank around 4 weeks ago.

Ive seen a few in reefs and love the splendour of them and just ’needed to have one’ and it’s now at the left hand side of the tank, were it can be left to grow out.

I just today ordered another green version which is stunning and will be located on the right hand side of the tank.

This picture is just after is was added, and it’s grown at an incredible rate so far and looks absolutely stunning.

8EC50AF1-9819-4751-BD91-F1B0070EB889.jpeg

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a Sacrophyton Glaucum coral I added to the tank around 4 weeks ago.

Ive seen a few in reefs and love the splendour of them and just ’needed to have one’ and it’s now at the left hand side of the tank, were it can be left to grow out.

I just today ordered another green version which is stunning and will be located on the right hand side of the tank.

This picture is just after is was added, and it’s grown at an incredible rate so far and looks absolutely stunning.

8EC50AF1-9819-4751-BD91-F1B0070EB889.jpeg

Put them next to each other, to bring out the difference in colour and eventual shape.
Another great option is Sinularia, Nephthea or Cladiella... great soft coral options that standout in a tank.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put them next to each other, to bring out the difference in colour and eventual shape.
Another great option is Sinularia, Nephthea or Cladiella... great soft coral options that standout in a tank.
Thanks Jan, I don’t think they will fit next to each other though

And I’ll google the others you mention! Lol

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I added a Golden Wrasse, Naso Tang and a Fire Red Shrimp to the system.

The fish started off in the acclimatisation box for about 7 hours and they weren’t being harassed so I opened the door and they just swam out.

In the past, when I’ve just dropped them in, theyve always disappeared into the rockwork, but this method seems to work much better. The shrimps in the rockwork but the other 2 are happily swimming around.

I guess it’s like your first day at school, but as the only newbie, so it must be very intimidating for them.

FCF2E94C-435B-4357-9739-0974F974ACC1.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gorgeous system! what is the main display dimension (metric OK)?
Thank you

The display in the ‘big tank’ is approximately 1500 litres and then theirs the sump etc

It’s around 2850 mm x 780 x 712 from memory

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all of you who have been paying attention will know I’m a keen golfer. I play badly 4 times a week off 15.5 handicap so 16.

Well yesterday I played at one of the courses of which Im a member, and I was about 5 under par gross (golfers will understand but it means I was playing very well!) and playing the best round for years.

Then I got hit in the forehead by a tee shot from another hole..... Fortunately for me it bounced on the ground first before it hit me, and even more fortunately by a few inches, it hit my forehead rather than an eye or something

Funny thing is, it didnt actually hurt that much, it swelled up but a cold compress helped immensely, but no real pain. I must have a hard head or something!

The young chap involved was devastated, to the point I actually felt sorry for him and won’t be setting ‘my wolves’ on him. He was speaking to my father and the guys playing with me and was mortified, and left the course with us.

It sometimes takes something like this to make you think of what might have happened but for the ‘grace of god‘ if you like. This is what’s so shocking. An inch or so either way and both our lives could have changed very differently, especially mine..........

After the incident I was waiting to be picked up in a buggy, stood behind a big oak tree, and the group behind us hit another shot, and it landed between my feet. No shout. You know when it’s not your day!!!

So any golfers reading this, if you hit a wayward shot, shout Four very loudly......

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all of you who have been paying attention will know I’m a keen golfer. I play badly 4 times a week off 15.5 handicap so 16.

Well yesterday I played at one of the courses of which Im a member, and I was about 5 under par gross (golfers will understand but it means I was playing very well!) and playing the best round for years.

Then I got hit in the forehead by a tee shot from another hole..... Fortunately for me it bounced on the ground first before it hit me, and even more fortunately by a few inches, it hit my forehead rather than an eye or something

Funny thing is, it didnt actually hurt that much, it swelled up but a cold compress helped immensely, but no real pain. I must have a hard head or something!

The young chap involved was devastated, to the point I actually felt sorry for him and won’t be setting ‘my wolves’ on him. He was speaking to my father and the guys playing with me and was mortified, and left the course with us.

It sometimes takes something like this to make you think of what might have happened but for the ‘grace of god‘ if you like. This is what’s so shocking. An inch or so either way and both our lives could have changed very differently, especially mine..........

After the incident I was waiting to be picked up in a buggy, stood behind a big oak tree, and the group behind us hit another shot, and it landed between my feet. No shout. You know when it’s not your day!!!

So any golfers reading this, if you hit a wayward shot, shout Four very loudly......
Im glad youre ok, what was the final net/gross for u at the end? +1 bogey on the dome! Haha..

You gotta share a pic of the swell. Ive seen some nasty ones over the last 2 decades playing.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 7 coral frags arrive a few days ago, mainly SPS apart from a green alveopora coral

Forgive the picture, it’s just a quick iPhone shot but you get the idea.

The LFS’s just don’t stock the things I want, they just have the same old stuff, green, pink and that’s about it. I’m looking now for blues, purple, yellow, reds, vivid colours, so I’ve had to go online unfortunately to get exactly what I want.

I say unfortunately, but to be honest the suppliers I use have been excellent I can’t fault them, and I don’t have to queue in the rain wearing a stupid face covering. I sit in my chair, (well usually ‘slumped in my chair’ ! Lol) order exactly what I want, and a nice man delivers it to my door.

Times are changing so either adapt or don’t...

1B0674DE-E178-46B8-9FF8-2D31C9BF92B3.jpeg

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 7 coral frags arrive a few days ago, mainly SPS apart from a green alveopora coral

Forgive the picture, it’s just a quick iPhone shot but you get the idea.

The LFS’s just don’t stock the things I want, they just have the same old stuff, green, pink and that’s about it. I’m looking now for blues, purple, yellow, reds, vivid colours, so I’ve had to go online unfortunately to get exactly what I want.

I say unfortunately, but to be honest the suppliers I use have been excellent I can’t fault them, and I don’t have to queue in the rain wearing a stupid face covering. I sit in my chair, (well usually ‘slumped in my chair’ ! Lol) order exactly what I want, and a nice man delivers it to my door.

Times are changing so either adapt or don’t...

1B0674DE-E178-46B8-9FF8-2D31C9BF92B3.jpeg

I go to SWM because they are 15 minutes down the road, during the early days in the spring lockdown they delivered my "supplies" after work for free and left them inside my back gate, I do see your point though, "livestock deliveries" are more alien to us.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go to SWM because they are 15 minutes down the road, during the early days in the spring lockdown they delivered my "supplies" after work for free and left them inside my back gate, I do see your point though, "livestock deliveries" are more alien to us.
It’s the way I’m going unfortunately

Ive got 3 yellow tangs and 2 yellow gobies arriving tomorrow Simon, from Masterfisch based in France and I can’t fault them at all from previous deliveries, it’s unfortunately the way I’m going, I basically order everything online, and now livestock and they have been simply excellent.

I get a call from a lovely french man called Laurent, with a beautiufl french accent, telling me ’halo shawn, your ordeerr is beeiinggg prapered and will be with yu in the mornniinggg’ so what can I say! Lol

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back