OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Freddie, and yes there an 80w UV-C (the C is more powerful than standard) in the big system running 24/7 at just around 1400 litres per hour, so very slow for extra killing capacity.

Its located in the ‘fish room’ outside and is very easy to maintain and get to when the bulb needs changing once a year

Fairymary58

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi SPR1968, I've just binged the threat from page 70 and have to say very impressive.
Can you explain more about how you avoided the uglies? IM building a 12foot tank (365cm long by 80cm front to back by 65cm tall) and would liek to do the same. My budget is nowhere near yours and I'm based in Melbourne Australia so will only be able to use things we have easily avaliable here but am hoping to get something looking as beautiful as yours.

ANyway congratulations on the stunning tank. CAn wait to review the next update.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi SPR1968, I've just binged the threat from page 70 and have to say very impressive.
Can you explain more about how you avoided the uglies? IM building a 12foot tank (365cm long by 80cm front to back by 65cm tall) and would liek to do the same. My budget is nowhere near yours and I'm based in Melbourne Australia so will only be able to use things we have easily avaliable here but am hoping to get something looking as beautiful as yours.

ANyway congratulations on the stunning tank. CAn wait to review the next update.
Thank you I’ll test you later! Lol

So how did I avoid the uglies...

The main key to this is rowaphos which you can get in Australia as far as I can see. I use around 1kg which means it lasts around 2-3 months before it needs changing.

Rowaphos correctly used in a reactor, I use a Deltec FR512 in the big tank, will keep phosphate locked down and the target is less than 0.03.

Here’s a picture of the reactor as I know everyone likes pictures.

AB3AE7E1-4883-4B9F-B95F-FB81E8D6D6BA.jpeg

I actually target zero phosphate, but it won’t really be zero because of test error margins, feeding, etc, but if my Hanna says zero I’m delighted. You can research this number but here’s a very good article that explains it

Rowaphos also removes silicates from the new sand and anywhere else in a new tank so I had hardly any diatoms, just a tiny amount in the sand which a goby took care of.

The other method I used to avoid any other issues caused by low nitrates and sterile water, was to get nitrates up as fast as I could to around 5. And basically create an environment were ‘good bacteria’ would outcompete any unwanted bacteria.

So here I added around 30 fish on day 1 with ATM Colony, and the skimmer was left off until nitrates hit around 1-2 and then it was turned on, I think it was off for a month or so

Once we had nitrates I then started to add Seachem Matrix to create the bio filtration plant to deal with nitrate export in the long run, so it’s all a balancing act really, but easily done.

If you take a close look at the rockwork in the videos or pictures youll see theres nothing ‘bad’ growing anywhere as far as algae is concerned, it’s baron which is how I like it.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef

John, I’m trying to make a pump in a 425 litre RODI storage reservoir switch on every Saturday at a certain time for say 5 minutes (to be adjusted as necessary) to top up the ATO reservoir in my S650 system.

Ive read your excellent tutorial and run a test and it seems to work with this programming with the ‘when‘ command as some added safety if it were on for more than 7 minutes

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Time 17:00 to 17:05 Then ON
If DoW SMTWTF- Then ON
When On > 007:00 Then OFF

Ive tried it with DOW ———S Then On and it didn't seem to work as it should (I think this is what the article says but it’s probably me doing it wrong or in the incorrect order). This seems like it should work but...

Can you see any obvious errors that would lead to 425 litres of water ending up on the floor and my life, (and yours as well now as your involved! Lol) put in peril!?

Last edited:

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just need to reverse the logic on the DOW command:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Time 17:00 to 17:04 Then ON
If DoW SMTWTF- Then OFF

The If Time tries to turn it on each day. Since the times are inclusive, I changed it to 17:04 to give a total of 5 minutes (on at 17:00:00 and off after 17:04:59). The DOW then overrides to turn it OFF every day except Saturday.

There’s no need for the When timer because the If Time values are absolute. You only need a When timer if the program is based on reading an Input

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just need to reverse the logic on the DOW command:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Time 17:00 to 17:04 Then ON
If DoW SMTWTF- Then OFF

The If Time tries to turn it on each day. Since the times are inclusive, I changed it to 17:04 to give a total of 5 minutes (on at 17:00:00 and off after 17:04:59). The DOW then overrides to turn it OFF every day except Saturday.

There’s no need for the When timer because the If Time values are absolute. You only need a When timer if the program is based on reading an Input
Perfect, thanks very much John for that, I’ll test it out.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to see this in person.
Great work, Shaun.
Well call around sometime Jan and Ill let you in! lol

I dont charge much for admission to the deep...

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to wait until June or July for the BBQ !
I’ll send you the invites a bit nearer the time then, and you can all bring the beers! Lol

NautiTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well call around sometime Jan and Ill let you in! lol

I dont charge much for admission to the deep...
I’ll send you the invites a bit nearer the time then, and you can all bring the beers! Lol

I was just going to ask if admissions were in liquid form

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*perks up, Marstons Pedigree?*
I’ll make some special for you Simon, and I’ll even provide you with a nasal spray for fast ingestion! Lol

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just going to ask if admissions were in liquid form
Definitely!

Although having said that, I have enough to open my own bar! Lol

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll make some special for you Simon, and I’ll even provide you with a nasal spray for fast ingestion! Lol

When I did homebrew there was a place in Bristol called "Brewers Droop", they did hops and all kits, nothing out of a can, my best mate at the time also brewed not out of a can, we didn't tell each other what we had on the go so it was always an interesting evening at his or mine, the first time he tried mine he said "fresh, like pedigree", too lazy now to do it but loved it back then. :)

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 58.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.4%
Back