Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what lights you running on that?
Full equipment list here for the Big tank:

Abyzz a200 return pump + spare
Ecotech Radion XR30w G4 Pro LED x 4
Ecotech Radion RMS Tank mounts x 4
Ecotech Vortech MP60wQD x 2
Ecotech Vortech MP40wQD x 1 (for the centre of the tank)
Ecotech battery backups x 3
Real Reef Rock Premium x 200kg ++++
NYOS Quantum 300 protein skimmer
Innovitech X Filter 1.7 (replaced the clarisea SK5000) with 25micron 65 metre fleece
Deltec FR512 rhowaphos reactor
DD 80w UVC
Neptune Apex 2016 Fusion (in addition to the one on the S650)
Neptune Apex DOS (for auto water changes) x 2
Neptune Apex Vortech WXM Module (to control/monitor Radions and Vortechs)
Neptune Apex Magnetic Probe holder
Neptune Apex Auto Feeder
Neptune Apex FMM Module x 2
Neptune Apex Breakout Box
Neptune Apex 2’ flow sensor (to monitor flow from return pump)
Neptune Apex 1’ flow sensor x 2 (UVC and Chiller)
Neptune Apex optical sensors x 2 (RODI/saltwater containers) with magnetic mounts
Neptune Apex Advanced leak detection system with 2 probes
Neptune Apex Energy Bar x 2 (1 is still o/s)
Tunze Osmolator ATO with modified pump below
Tunze Osmolator outlet socket powering Eheim CompactON2100 for ATO
Red Sea Activated Carbon to be used in media bags
Purigen 500g to be used in media bags
Eheim 400 e heaters x 2 + 600w titanium heater
Teco TK2000e heater/chiller
Deltec Twin Tech 1500 Calcium Reactor
Rowalith W (chunky version) 6kg reactor media x 4
2 x 425 litre water containers for RODI and automatic water changes
Osmotics fully automated RODI production system including booster pump
ATM Colony x 5 946ml (no I’m not using dead shrimps!! Lol)
Red Sea Reef Pink Live Sand x 70kg
Red Sea Standard salt x 6 22kg buckets
56 litres Seachem Matrix (yes now a lot!)
32mm PVC pipe throughout other than 2 x 40mm downpipes

deztheclownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full equipment list here for the Big tank:

Abyzz a200 return pump + spare
Ecotech Radion XR30w G4 Pro LED x 4
Ecotech Radion RMS Tank mounts x 4
Ecotech Vortech MP60wQD x 2
Ecotech Vortech MP40wQD x 1 (for the centre of the tank)
Ecotech battery backups x 3
Real Reef Rock Premium x 200kg ++++
NYOS Quantum 300 protein skimmer
Innovitech X Filter 1.7 (replaced the clarisea SK5000) with 25micron 65 metre fleece
Deltec FR512 rhowaphos reactor
DD 80w UVC
Neptune Apex 2016 Fusion (in addition to the one on the S650)
Neptune Apex DOS (for auto water changes) x 2
Neptune Apex Vortech WXM Module (to control/monitor Radions and Vortechs)
Neptune Apex Magnetic Probe holder
Neptune Apex Auto Feeder
Neptune Apex FMM Module x 2
Neptune Apex Breakout Box
Neptune Apex 2’ flow sensor (to monitor flow from return pump)
Neptune Apex 1’ flow sensor x 2 (UVC and Chiller)
Neptune Apex optical sensors x 2 (RODI/saltwater containers) with magnetic mounts
Neptune Apex Advanced leak detection system with 2 probes
Neptune Apex Energy Bar x 2 (1 is still o/s)
Tunze Osmolator ATO with modified pump below
Tunze Osmolator outlet socket powering Eheim CompactON2100 for ATO
Red Sea Activated Carbon to be used in media bags
Purigen 500g to be used in media bags
Eheim 400 e heaters x 2 + 600w titanium heater
Teco TK2000e heater/chiller
Deltec Twin Tech 1500 Calcium Reactor
Rowalith W (chunky version) 6kg reactor media x 4
2 x 425 litre water containers for RODI and automatic water changes
Osmotics fully automated RODI production system including booster pump
ATM Colony x 5 946ml (no I’m not using dead shrimps!! Lol)
Red Sea Reef Pink Live Sand x 70kg
Red Sea Standard salt x 6 22kg buckets
56 litres Seachem Matrix (yes now a lot!)
32mm PVC pipe throughout other than 2 x 40mm downpipes

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few evenings ago I was sat (ok slumped! Lol) watching the tank, having partaken in some ‘light refreshments’.

After a period of hours, I woke back up, in complete darkness, and could hear a quiet bleeping noise coming from the cabinet in the big tank

After making a few enquiries as what the noise was, I noticed the water level in the tank had dropped, and the sump was full of water. Like a flash of lightning in my brain I realised the main pump had stopped working. Oh ’dash’ I thought....

I screwed my face up thinking not now, and then considered leaving it until morning, and then decided best get on with it and change the pump.

Now those paying attention, will remember that the main pump is an Abyzz A200, and I also have a spare, which was made ready to go as far as union connectors etc., when I built the tank. So the actual swap only took about 2 minutes to change them over, even in my ’relaxed state’!

Because the pump had stopped, the sump filled with water as they do, but I had some programs within Apex and float sensors via the breakout box, and basically Apex turned the skimmer off before it freaked out overflowing and also the Tunze ATO in case it was faulty. These then got automatically turned back on after a period once the level dropped. So Apex is very useful at times.

Basically, the Abyzz was ready for a clean, and to be fair, I had also been stirring some detritus up from the sump over the past few weeks to keep it clean and allowing it to get sucked up through the pump and back into the tank and filtration system

Anyway, it hadn’t been cleaned for about 12 months, but reading the instructions it says the pump required ‘minimal maintenance‘ so I assumed that meant every 10 years like the warranty! Lol

So I dismantled the pump, soaked it in citric acid for 24 hours or so, tested it to make sure it was ok which it was, and it came up as good as new.

I also gave the 2 MP60’s and MP40 their ‘annual clean’. For those who haven’t used these, they are a dream to use and clean Its so simple. They weren’t very dirty but I did them just because I thought I better!

It will be time for the NYOS Quantum 300’s annual clean next! Lol

Anyway you can see the pictures below and you can see the pipe work we’re it connects into the tank return pipe via a union connector (the top of the union isn’t needed of course because that’s already fitted in the tank part) Both pumps are set up exactly the same so it’s just a straight swap out.

9D15A0F9-73A0-451A-AC13-1AFB4A788BC6.jpeg
F2DDD854-344A-4158-B2A8-CB472AD4D57B.jpeg

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thing you thought ahead and bought the spare. I'm wondering if you have revised your maintenance plan to include a periodic (not 10 yrs) cleaning of the abuzz pump lol.
Ill amend the maintenance plan to every 5 years and see how we get on! Lol

Ive not been unduly concerned in the current situation because I’ve not been away anywhere, but I think a 6-8 month (ish!) swap around may be better

But yes, this is why it’s best to have a spare pump if you can, and it also means you can leave them longer to ‘self clean’ in a bucket without the need to get them back into the tank

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t you just hate it when everything is going fine, and then you do a test with a new test kit and it gives a completely different way out reading!

So nitrates have always been around 5 or 6 ish in the new tank and today the NYOS nitrate test ran out so I got the next new one out and it said nitrates were around 25! And the S650 was about 40!

Ive checked the expiry date and it’s good until 2023, so by the time we finally come out of lockdown I’ll be able to fetch another!

So Ive now had to order another new test kit to check everything, but frankly I don’t believe the result

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you had been stable since the last Matrix (?) addition?
It’s been stable forever, hence I don’t believe the test result and everything looks fine

I tested last week and it was 5-6, I tested today with a new test kit and it was 25 ish

The only problem now is I feel I need to do something, so the fish are going on rations and I’ll increase water changes awaiting the new test kit

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still awaiting the replacement NYOS nitrate test kit, but in the meantime I’ve decided take action just in case the levels are raised

On the big tank the new nitrate test kit was showing at 25, not 6, and I’ve actually been over feeding because of this. I’m going to just increase water changes to 15% per week because it won’t do any harm anyway as it’s via Apex DOS daily. Both systems have only been on 10% per month for a while because of ok nutrient levels, well supposedly!

Now on the S650, which doesn’t really look any different anyway, the nitrate reading was showing 40, it’s always been around 20 using the same test kit, although for the last few weeks it’s been down to around 8 I think, (after installing the X Filter) again with the same test kit.

So back onto Nopox we go, but not quiet, this is going to be the DIY version which I’ve researched for several years but never used.

Ive always used the 5 litre Nopox containers and there was about 500ml left so Ive added 1000 ml extra liquid made up as follows, so this is like a ‘hybrid version’ to use up the last of the Nopox as well

500ml Vodka 40% ABV (80 proof) which I made, sorry purchased......
400ml white vinegar
100ml RODI

This is just a slight modification to standard version with slightly more vodka, less water for a more Nopox dosing match, I may even go just 50/50 V/V next time.

This is the original thread were I asked a few questions and there are some very good replies and links

Until the new test kit arrives to double check, we shall see were we go from here, but all is well anyway

Test kits......!!!

Last edited:

Nobbygas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still awaiting the replacement NYOS nitrate test kit, but in the meantime I’ve decided take action just in case the levels are raised

On the big tank the new nitrate test kit was showing at 25, not 6, and I’ve actually been over feeding because of this. I’m going to just increase water changes to 15% per week because it won’t do any harm anyway as it’s via Apex DOS daily. Both systems have only been on 10% per month for a while because of ok nutrient levels, well supposedly!

Now on the S650, which doesn’t really look any different anyway, the nitrate reading was showing 40, it’s always been around 20 using the same test kit, although for the last few weeks it’s been down to around 8 I think, (after installing the X Filter) again with the same test kit.

So back onto Nopox we go, but not quiet, this is going to be the DIY version which I’ve researched for several years but never used.

Ive always used the 5 litre Nopox containers and there was about 500ml left so Ive added 1000 ml extra liquid made up as follows, so this is like a ‘hybrid version’ to use up the last of the Nopox as well

500ml Vodka 40% ABV (80 proof) which I made, sorry purchased......
400ml white vinegar
100ml RODI

This is just a slight modification to standard version with slightly more vodka, less water for a more Nopox dosing match, I may even go just 50/50 V/V next time.

This is the original thread were I asked a few questions and there are some very good replies and links

Until the new test kit arrives to double check, we shall see were we go from here, but all is well anyway

Test kits......!!!
Now now. What have we learnt over the last few years eh? Don't go making changes or modifications based on one test result. If the new reading is true then no harm has been done as that must have been the Nitrate levels all along (if you get my drift). Was the last test kit a bad one, or is the new test kit a bad one? Always get a 'second opinion'. Anyway, is 25 too high for Nitrates? Personally I don't think so. Now I shall whack you over the head with a piece of 4x4 and shout, "stable is key". Get a Salifert Nitrate test kit (nice and cheap) and see what that says.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now now. What have we learnt over the last few years eh? Don't go making changes or modifications based on one test result. If the new reading is true then no harm has been done as that must have been the Nitrate levels all along (if you get my drift). Was the last test kit a bad one, or is the new test kit a bad one? Always get a 'second opinion'. Anyway, is 25 too high for Nitrates? Personally I don't think so. Now I shall whack you over the head with a piece of 4x4 and shout, "stable is key". Get a Salifert Nitrate test kit (nice and cheap) and see what that says.
Mmmm! Lol

The new test kit arrived and the levels are raised so who knows, it’s just annoying and an example of equipment/tests failing to do what they’re supposed to!

Anyway, no there not ’too’ high but they are for the new system, I want them around 5-10 and no more. They will obey!

Ive been over feeding both tanks for the last few weeks on the basis of the nitrate levels and this combined with reduced water changes for the same reason that’s probably why they’ve gone up

The odd thing is, the NYOS Quantum 300 is behaving like there isn’t much to skim out, like a lack of nutrients so I turned it up, to a more wet skim and you know what happens next!! So I turned it back down again! Lol

Anyway Ive introduced a series of daily water changes at rate of around 15% -20% a week which should sort it out shortly in the big tank. The S650 is also on 10% weekly water changes and the Hybrid/DIY Nopox although it doesn’t look any different to be honest.

Ive also been looking at these which look very interesting once you understand how they work. They ‘sort of‘ work on a similar principle to the Deltec Twin Tech calcium reactor as far as the way they circulate water and dispense it

Combined with this as a feed pump for the nitrate solution (AKA my vodka!)

Maybe something for the future, I’m trying to keep everything very simple and hence increased water changes for the time being which should sort whats a relatively minor issue out

Last edited:

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The odd thing is, the NYOS Quantum 300 is behaving like there isn’t much to skim out, like a lack of nutrients so I turned it up, to a more wet skim and you know what happens next!! So I turned it back down again! Lol

I have a 160, would I buy another Nyos skimmer = no, they are "sensitive", I have the air adjuster thingy bypassed straight to an external airline, hasn't dumped the skimmer cup back in for months! ;)

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You're destroying Shaun's excuse to produce....I mean purchase more vodka! Test discrepancy reveals high nitrate, produce....I mean purchase more vodka for dosing. Retest with another test kit. No high nitrate reading. Oh an excess of vodka not needed for dosing. What to do with excess vodka? Oh, have to drink it. Problem solved!

Don't blow his cover story! ;)

Nobbygas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're destroying Shaun's excuse to produce....I mean purchase more vodka! Test discrepancy reveals high nitrate, produce....I mean purchase more vodka for dosing. Retest with another test kit. No high nitrate reading. Oh an excess of vodka not needed for dosing. What to do with excess vodka? Oh, have to drink it. Problem solved!

Don't blow his cover story! ;)
This is just my personal opinion, but putting Vodka into an aquarium should be classed as a crime against humanity.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just my personal opinion, but putting Vodka into an aquarium should be classed as a crime against humanity.
Technically its ‘white spirit’ and vinegar and although Simon @najer would clearly drink it, and maybe you because I think you also originate in Bristol I recall, we’re they drink ‘zummerzet zyder’ and then ‘G Woam’ a bit wobbly . Infact Simon has several novel ways to ingest it he’s even made a video! Lol

I posted the recipe above, so maybe just add a bit of colour and sugar to taste! Lol

Infact here are some common phrases from Somerset (And yes I know Bristol might not technically now be In Somerset but it’s within a ’trakur’ ride whilst bringing in the hay for accent spread! Lol)

Cordin eye, stimey wenoam - translates to, according to me it’s time we went home

Whirr zer bin to And Wha' be gwain 'ave - translates to - we’re have you been to and what are you going to have ?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calling some of the swill they brand as Vodka is a crime against humanity. I feel guilty feeding the bacteria with it, it is so nasty!

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically its ‘white spirit’ and vinegar and although Simon @najer would clearly drink it, and maybe you because I think you also originate in Bristol I recall, we’re they drink ‘zummerzet zyder’ and then ‘G Woam’ a bit wobbly . Infact Simon has several novel ways to ingest it he’s even made a video! Lol

I posted the recipe above, so maybe just add a bit of colour and sugar to taste! Lol

Infact here are some common phrases from Somerset (And yes I know Bristol might not technically now be In Somerset but it’s within a ’trakur’ ride whilst bringing in the hay for accent spread! Lol)

Cordin eye, stimey wenoam - translates to, according to me it’s time we went home

Whirr zer bin to And Wha' be gwain 'ave - translates to - we’re have you been to and what are you going to have ?

You had to poke me with a stick?! :p

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back