OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, just seen this thread and wanted to say what a amazing tank you have. This is one of the best looking tanks I have ever seen. Just wanted to ask I looked through several pages in this post and seen where you have purchased several fish and put them in the display tank right away, my question is do you not quarantine your fish and if not have you ever had an outbreak of ich or anything? If not please let me in on the secret lol.
Thank you George

No I don’t quarantine any fish, but I am based in the UK and trust the suppliers I use, who basically tell me every time I’ve asked them, that there’s no need. They won’t sell a fish unless it’s eating and healthy and on several occasions have said the particular fish is ‘not ready’

In the large tank, I run a powerful 80w UVC 24/7 at a slow flow rate for maximum killing effect which will deal with anything that passes through it including ich, so this is a management program

I can see in certain situations why QT is needed, suppliers etc., so if you need to do it fine, but personally I don’t feel the need.

Ive never had an issue, maybe I’ve been lucky, or maybe the UVC is doing what it’s supposed to do.....

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of my favourite SPS corals, its a beautiful colour

D766C277-9054-4AA2-9E9F-67B61290E323.jpeg

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish we had the suppliers you in the UK have. Here in the US it's a crap shoot....
That’s sort of the impression I get from the US forums

Dont get me wrong, many in the UK QT, but I don’t want to, and my suppliers tell me I don’t need to so I’m happy with that. Just my personal decision

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't either and it has hit me a few times in the past in other tanks. The Waterbox has been lucky so far and I don't "plan" on adding any more fish at the present time, but that can change. :)

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s sort of the impression I get from the US forums

Dont get me wrong, many in the UK QT, but I don’t want to, and my suppliers tell me I don’t need to so I’m happy with that. Just my personal decision

This, I trust my lfs 100%, fish enter my tanks by swimming out of the bag from the lfs, less stress.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen the price of Yellow tangs! I’ve got 10 in total including my oldest in the S650 and fortunately I don’t need any more. Even more fortunate, knowone knows were I live!

Hey, this now gives a whole new meaning to the term ‘money shot’! Lol

B47794B6-CC77-40AE-A99D-6715415E2219.jpeg

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done the normal 7 day water tests today on the big tank, everythings fine as far as elements go other than the magnesium level had dropped to around 1200 so clearly the rowalith calcium reactor media doesn’t contain enough for the tanks demands at the moment.

So Ive added nearly 1kg of Red Sea Foundation C, but that’s only going to raise it part of the way to around 1350 were I want it, and I’m going to need to keep adding it. But at around £26 per 1 KG it’s expensive stuff when used in volume

Now I know the Red Sea version also contain allegely a few other things, but Im going to try the DIY version of magnesium supplement and here are two good links

So I’m going to use the 7:1 ratio of Magnesium Chloride and Epsom Salts (Magnesium Sulphate)

Ive ordered 5kg and 8kg respectively from Amazon, pharmaceutical/food grade and its cost less than 1 box of the Red Sea version.

So we shall see what happens

Last edited:

Nobbygas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This, I trust my lfs 100%, fish enter my tanks by swimming out of the bag from the lfs, less stress.
I do the same. Here in Germany I have a very good LFS where they quarantine the fish they receive from the wholesellers themselves. They have a separate quarantine fish room where you can look at the fish, and even reserve them if you want, but the LFS will not sell them until the fish have finished their quarantine period. It seems pointless doing another quarantine, with the added stress to the fish.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased one of these a few days ago, the 43cm (17inch) version

Now I’ve never cleaned the rockwork, I never even thought about it, there was a bit of algae growing so I blew it off with a long coral feeder I have and your wouldn’t believe the rubbish that came off!

I carried on with the coral feeder, and the X Filter roller mat was brilliant filtering all the detritus out.

Anyway the Fluval version came today, it’s brilliant. it’s quiet long and also the tube is thick, so plenty of squirting power, I can definitely recommend this thing.

You wouldn’t believe the amount of rubbish that came out of the rocks, and it’s only been 13 months! Lol

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is such a nice build! Plus a lot of work in just a year! Excited to see this in another year.
Thank you and thanks for saying hello!

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell you what, you wouldn’t believe the rubbish that flew into the water with it, the tank was full of bits and bobs floating all around the place. You could hardly see anything!

im going to have another go at it tomorrow, and the tank looked much cleaner afterwards! Lol

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell you what, you wouldn’t believe the rubbish that flew into the water with it, the tank was full of bits and bobs floating all around the place. You could hardly see anything!

im going to have another go at it tomorrow, and the tank looked much cleaner afterwards! Lol

Watch your nitrates and phos, a lot of trapped nutrients in there.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I seen all those yellow tangs and was going to comment but you beat me too it:)
What is that dark blue coral you posted @SPR1968 ?
I dont know, its a dark blue coral probably acropora “dark blue”!

My brain wont compute coral names! Lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back