OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CRAZY GOOD!!! simply put your tank is amazing. Kudos to your hard work and determination. your livestock stocking is high so you must have an incredible filter system and regiment.
What is your maintenance regiment look like?
Thank you and thanks for stopping by

I haven’t finished with the live stock yet, although I haven’t added any fish for around 8 months, I’ve just been letting the corals grow out

As far as maintenance, I hardly have anything to do, and I mean that, because so much is automated and that’s the vital key, and remember there are 2 systems here including the S650 which isn’t exactly small

Both systems have X Filter 1.7 roller mates in place which last months, so no socks or anything

Glass cleaned every 2-3 days
Rowaphos changed every 4 (S650) and 8 weeks in the large tank
Water changes are automatically done with DOS
Testing once a week at around 10 minutes total
Skimmer cups cleaned every 4 weeks

I know some clean the skimmer cups every week, but I can’t be bothered and it doesn’t seem to make any major difference to production

So basically I just monitor everything that’s about it.

Last edited:

Reef Jockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you and thanks for stopping by

I haven’t finished with the live stock yet, although I haven’t added any fish for around 8 months, I’ve just been letting the corals grow out

As far as maintenance, I hardly have anything to do, and I mean that, because so much is automated and that’s the vital key, and remember there are 2 systems here including the S650 which isn’t exactly small

Both systems have X Filter 1.7 roller mates in place which last months, so no socks or anything

Glass cleaned every 2-3 days
Rowaphos changed every 4 (S650) and 8 weeks in the large tank
Water changes are automatically done with DOS
Testing once a week at around 10 minutes total
Skimmer cups cleaned every 4 weeks

I know some clean the skimmer cups every week, but I can’t be bothered and it doesn’t seem to make any major difference to production

So basically I just monitor everything that’s about it.
wow, nearly fully automated... you don't see that everyday. good on you

Ceez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've spent a couple days going through this entire thread. There is so much here available for anyone to soak up and I love that you've been very free with any info and re-explaining things more than once. It's very refreshing to see someone be so approachable without the ego once they've been to the mountain top! Thanks for taking the time to explain things, it's given a lot of us so much. Your methods are a bit different in some cases and go against the norm but it has worked and worked dam-n well! I don't think we could be friends though, there's not enough booze lol

I really like that X Filter 1.7 compared to what's offered over here in the states. I've looked briefly around for something in the US but didn't see them readily available.

I've also heard great things about the "Matrix" and seeing your big tank sump, essentially dumping truck load after truck load in there lol I'm also on the wagon here.

I like the automation of the Apex system but the more I read the more I see failure points and it is a bit scary especially with the investment made, let alone how bad I feel when a single fish dies. You had the initial failure of the ATK (I read so much of this I may be wrong here) and I'm wondering if there is another alternative for automation. I've been looking at the Hydros stuff as well.

I'm in the planning stages right now & threads like yours are very helpful and inspiring.

You also have my favorite fish (see my avatar) in your 650 and I've been reading thru this entire thread expecting to see him moved but he is still living his best life in the smaller reef. Angels are finicky and I would be hesitant to move him myself. I've seen more than a few not do well moving onto another tank and die. Even though the selfish part of me wants to see him expand his horizons in the big tank as the new boss, he's happy and healthy where he's at.

Great job on your reefs and thanks again for taking the time to give us all the pertinent details

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've spent a couple days going through this entire thread. There is so much here available for anyone to soak up and I love that you've been very free with any info and re-explaining things more than once. It's very refreshing to see someone be so approachable without the ego once they've been to the mountain top! Thanks for taking the time to explain things, it's given a lot of us so much. Your methods are a bit different in some cases and go against the norm but it has worked and worked dam-n well! I don't think we could be friends though, there's not enough booze lol

I really like that X Filter 1.7 compared to what's offered over here in the states. I've looked briefly around for something in the US but didn't see them readily available.

I've also heard great things about the "Matrix" and seeing your big tank sump, essentially dumping truck load after truck load in there lol I'm also on the wagon here.

I like the automation of the Apex system but the more I read the more I see failure points and it is a bit scary especially with the investment made, let alone how bad I feel when a single fish dies. You had the initial failure of the ATK (I read so much of this I may be wrong here) and I'm wondering if there is another alternative for automation. I've been looking at the Hydros stuff as well.

I'm in the planning stages right now & threads like yours are very helpful and inspiring.

You also have my favorite fish (see my avatar) in your 650 and I've been reading thru this entire thread expecting to see him moved but he is still living his best life in the smaller reef. Angels are finicky and I would be hesitant to move him myself. I've seen more than a few not do well moving onto another tank and die. Even though the selfish part of me wants to see him expand his horizons in the big tank as the new boss, he's happy and healthy where he's at.

Great job on your reefs and thanks again for taking the time to give us all the pertinent details
Your more than welcome and thanks for taking the time to read through the adventure so far. I hope you enjoyed some of the pictures as well

As far as my methods, they came from hours, days and weeks of reading and learning. I keep thinking about doing an article on how I did it to try and help people out to stop the constant and avoidable problems we read about, it’s really not difficult but you have to understand the basics of course.

The X Filter is excellent but they have supply issues including here in the UK, but it might be worth an email to see when they are available in the US or contact a UK dealer with stock

The alternative is the Clarisea 5000 for example which I initially had, but changed on recommendation before it got wet

Yes I have a truck load of Matrix! Lol. My nitrates stay around 25, they don’t move and I’m guessing just because of the constant waste present whenever I test. Infact I very rarely test nitrate or phosphate anymore. Nitrate is not the ‘devil’ in an ‘established mature’ reef and I change the rowaphos every 8 weeks (I use a large amount at once) so there is no real need to test phosphate as it’s always very low.

Apex….. it’s very good, but yes it has weak points and don’t ever rely on it 100%. I use it as a tool and it’s very very useful. But I’m not replacing any flow metres optical sensors etc , because there just unreliable. The main return flow metre failed after around 6 months. False leak detector alerts and optical sensors. I have some cheap float switches connected to a breakout box which are far better than the expensive sensors. I never give it fully automated control from sensors of anything critical like turning the main return off. I’ve tried it with the leak detector on the main return and came down with it switching an Abyzz a200 on and off every second making an almighty noise! I can still remember my heart skipping a beat at the sound and checking the floor!! Lol

The ATK has worked fine since it was basically rebuilt but it will be replaced with the Tunze Osmolator if it fails again. Remember I have the modified Osmolator in the large tank, the ATK is in the S650 because I tested it on that tank and it failed.

As far as the fish, the ones in the S650 will all stay there including the emperor, they’ve been in there home for over 5 years and as you say, it’s not worth the risk moving them. The emperor is currently changing colour into the adult. I also wouldn’t trust him in the large tank full of SPS etc just in case!

Glad you enjoyed it and it’s good to ask questions, we can all learn, so if you need anything else just let me know

PS we could definitely be friends because you have no idea how much booze I have, oceans of it! Lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All caught up now! Stopped receiving notifications late July and thought geez Shaun's been quiet! The tanks look beautiful as always Shaun.
Welcome back and thank you!

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOAH this has got to be the best tank I've seen ;Woot
so glad I came upon this thread today

What's your filtration like, (this must be quite a large (but beautiful!) bioload)?
(I just skimmed through the pages, I might've missed it)
Hi, thank you so much!

The filtration is below but also 56 litres of Seachem Matrix in the sump (yes a lot!)

X Filter roller matt and NYOS Quantum 300, and also a Deltec rowaphos reactor For phosphate control

I also have a Deltec nitrate reactor but it’s not In use yet, nitrates seem to stay around 25 which is fine for a mature reef, and the corals glow with life and grow like crazy!

I very rarely test nitrate or phosphate as phosphate is locked down very low with rowaphos and nitrate seems to stay the same.

EBAD9E60-0C20-4A53-A1A2-326588E97581.jpeg
EBB70740-88B1-43A6-B061-D38040DDC2EB.jpeg

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, thank you so much!

The filtration is below but also 56 litres of Seachem Matrix in the sump (yes a lot!)

X Filter roller matt and NYOS Quantum 300, and also a Deltec rowaphos reactor For phosphate control

I also have a Deltec nitrate reactor but it’s not In use yet, nitrates seem to stay around 25 which is fine for a mature reef, and the corals glow with life and grow like crazy!

I very rarely test nitrate or phosphate as phosphate is locked down very low with rowaphos and nitrate seems to stay the same.

EBAD9E60-0C20-4A53-A1A2-326588E97581.jpeg
EBB70740-88B1-43A6-B061-D38040DDC2EB.jpeg
ooh nice

yea 25 nitrates isn't that high mine are at 40 haha
setting up my fuge soon

nice skimmer, I have heard great things on nyos ones, I really wanted to get it but ehhh went with the red sea equivalent instead which is like soso quality i guess

56 liters of matrix!?? holy that is A LOT, wouldnt u need like 14 of the 4L ones they sell :oops:

X filter roller? well I found it but not much info on it, is that the 1.7?
Well, whats your sump turnover rate? cus I had to dial mine down when I installed my Bubble magus ARF-L roller on my system, but yea rollers are erally a nice addition to the tank, helping polish the water a lot

Thanks for the reply!

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ooh nice

yea 25 nitrates isn't that high mine are at 40 haha
setting up my fuge soon

nice skimmer, I have heard great things on nyos ones, I really wanted to get it but ehhh went with the red sea equivalent instead which is like soso quality i guess

56 liters of matrix!?? holy that is A LOT, wouldnt u need like 14 of the 4L ones they sell :oops:

X filter roller? well I found it but not much info on it, is that the 1.7?
Well, whats your sump turnover rate? cus I had to dial mine down when I installed my Bubble magus ARF-L roller on my system, but yea rollers are erally a nice addition to the tank, helping polish the water a lot

Thanks for the reply!
Your right Tom, about the Matrix, its about 14 of the 4 litre containers and I’ve still got them. I use them to keep the frozen food in in the freezer broken up, and get a fresh one every so often, I have lots! Lol

Ive got 2 NYOS skimmers, the 300 in the large tank and 160 in the S650, they are very good and also quiet

I have the X Filter 1.7 in both tanks and they’re excellent and very simple to use.

Now the turnover rate, I calculate its around 3-4 times, so nice and slow so it gets lots of contact time with all the media down there. I can’t see any point at all in these 10 x figures banded around to be honest unless it’s needed to create more water movement in the main display. Remember my display flow comes from 2 MP60’s and 1 MP40.

The picture above does show how quick things can grow out very well. Every time I look at that last picture it looks to me like the ocean…

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
WOW...i was here about a year ago ,1st post ,before the update's... :oops: ..WOW...just amazing reefs...:)
guess i have me some wee hrs catching up to do...;):cool:

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW...i was here about a year ago ,1st post ,before the update's... :oops: ..WOW...just amazing reefs...:)
guess i have me some wee hrs catching up to do...;):cool:
Hi and thank you, hopefully you will enjoy some of the pictures, and there’s a test afterwards! Lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back