SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol...
Start at about 21 mins. in the video.

You might have to soak the tube in vinegar.

I'm keeping my Bubble King. :)

He doesn't know how to get in it either! Thought I was watching @2una (Red Sea main pump!) when he started with the fast hands lol!

Why would soaking the tube in vinager help clean the inside ?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He doesn't know how to get in it either! Thought I was watching @2una (Red Sea main pump!) when he started with the fast hands lol!

Why would soaking the tube in vinager help clean the inside ?
Lol...
I don't know. ;Dead

Buy the Red Sea "Bubble King" skimmer upgrade kit. ;Woot ;Woot

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Blue Throat Trigger pair have decided they want to build there nest somewhere under the back of my tank so have decided the best way to do it is to carry out major excavation works of sand while I wasn't looking!

IMG_0955.JPG

IMG_0956.JPG

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Blue Throat Trigger pair have decided they want to build there nest somewhere under the back of my tank so have decided the best way to do it is to carry out major excavation works of sand while I wasn't looking!
Shaun,
I don't know your entire feelings about this happening in your reef??? :confused:

But... (lol) This is an awesome science project on our end, to see how it plays out. :)

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The large Elegance Coral in the middle of my tank is no more. I had also purchased a smaller one and that has also gone.

I'm not trying to do any review here and I'm just sharing my experience. To try and finally get rid of hair algea, several months ago I dosed Vibrant liquid for 2 weeks (12ml once and then 12ml after 2 weeks, so not much), and to be fair the hair algea disappeared completely and the tank looked stunning so for me, it did what it was added to do.

I originally only dosed it twice at 12ml. Within a few minutes of adding the liquid, the large Elegance coral started to recede and then after 6-7 days was back to normal. After 14 days I added another 12ml and again the large Elegance receded and again after 6-7 days it came back. The smaller one did not and faded away.

The hair algea was gone so I stopped dosing until about 4 weeks ago when i decided the tank looked so good I would just use as a maintenance dose so I added another 12 ml. Again the Elegance receded but this time never recovered and after around 4 weeks is gone. None of the other corals seemed to have a problem but I don't know this for sure.
Before
IMG_0558.JPG

After
IMG_0943.JPG

This is the smaller one before and after - middle left

IMG_0820.JPG

IMG_0941.JPG

Just something else that I've now realised, most of the corals I have, I've ordered online and grown them from small frags and virtually all have thrived. The main LFS were I've got most of my fish from, I've purchased I guess about 6-7 established and expensive (£75-95) Coral colonies, and it hit me last week that most have only lasted a few months before they died.

I'm beginning to wonder if the larger and older colonies react badly to being moved or is there something else at play, because I don't have any issues with the online supplier. There is nothing wrong with my water albeit slightly raised Nitrate (12ppm) but I'm working on that.

As a matter of interest the large Elegance Coral was from another smaller LFS that I originally used and I grew this over around 16 months to a beautiful specimen. On this basis I'm getting all my new colonies from there.

Anyway enough of the bad news, I have just got a new one from my original supplier along with a starfish that took my eye. Oh and I have my eye on a White Sea anemone that is just screaming at me to bring him home!!

IMG_0961.JPG

IMG_0962.JPG

Last edited: 2 minutes ago

Last edited:
OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your elegance corals, the new one looks very nice.
Thanks - I was extremely sorry to loose them both, but especially the large one as it was a stunning example and ive had it for most of the time Ive had my tank and I try and give all the 'life' in my tank the best care I possibly can.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - I was extremely sorry to loose them both, but especially the large one as it was a stunning example and ive had it for most of the time Ive had my tank and I try and give all the 'life' in my tank the best care I possibly can.
Shaun,
Thanks for the update and sorry about your loses. :(
That Vibrant seems like a double edged sword. Never used it but I've seen so many outcomes like yours with that product.

With my experience smaller frags are hardier that big colonies, Like wall hammers and SPS etc...

Freddie

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so patience is not my thing.

Say hello to my new little friend!

Were I wanted him to live....

IMG_0984.JPG

And were HE wants to currently live!

IMG_0986.JPG

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from the 17 new coral frags I ordered yesterday.......

The trigger fish are still up to there strange 'nesting' behaviour. They have now cleared a flat stretch of sand at the front of my tank of anything like rocks or old shells and put them in a nice pile to the left. And then they dance together over it in a strange ritual!

IMG_1010.JPG

And here is a video of them with their strange 'dancing'!

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there and thanks!

I certainly have a selection and the tank is probably a 'bit' over stocked but there's always room for one more....

I think the triggers spawned last night and I caught it all on video as well - perfect timing!

I'll post them shortly

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm by no means an expert on fish behaviour or breeding (infact I don't know anything!!) but I think my pair of Blue Throat Triggers have been spawning? If you think they have then I'll post it somewhere on the main site so all can see??

The lights are dimming and in 'blue' colours with storm effects which is what's flashing, not the camera.

I happen to catch the moment in the first video. They have been acting strange for weeks and last night they wouldn't settle and were very erratic in their behaviour. For those who get bored quick is around 1.14 minutes in

The moments following the event and all the behaviour changed

Then the female looked like she had mounted a guard. Interesting the male cleared of and lost all interest after the main event! Lol. Just swam around elsewhere making sand storms and polluting the normally crystal clear water!

Your thoughts ?

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back