Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

widarecu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sort of waiting a little with the S650 for when I go back to water changes. I haven’t done one for 6 months not on purpose, but just because I left it a month and all was good, then another month...... infact is doesn’t look any different. I am adding trace elements etc.

Very shortly, (infact it would have been sooner if I hadn’t had the ‘incident with the hacksaw’! Lol), the S650 is going to be hooked into the new water change system controlled by Apex DOS so slow continuous water changes will restart. And as such, the amount of foundation elements I need to add will decrease because of the new salt.

The other option is to get another Twin Tech Calcium Reactor, once I know how it works, but I don’t think it will be necessary on the S650 once the water changes start again. This will also help with nutrient control, although this is ok anyway. The Chaeto in the ALR2 reactor doesn’t want to grow probably because it’s being out competed by everything else in place and this is coming out the next time it needs cleaning, if not before.

I did look at Triton, and the new system has a refugium including blacked out glass for light spill, so I can use it if and when needed in the future, but I won’t go the full method.
Good stuff, time will tell, the fun with this hobby is on trying new methods and experiment all the time, that’s what keeps it interesting :)

In my case I have the DOS auto water changes taking about 2% daily but now that my parameters are low (getting too low actually) I’m stopping that and will observe what growth and color I get with the colonies ... exciting times :)

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was raining yesterday, so when it’s raining I normally do one of my other hobbies

A Festival London Porter Ale, and a Mangrove Jacks Pink Grapefruit IPA that smells delightful!

‘Shaun’s Shine’.......

AC2968AE-E2B6-4B7A-AC84-0D591D4ACF9D.jpeg

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was raining yesterday, so when it’s raining I normally do one of my other hobbies

A Festival London Porter Ale, and a Mangrove Jacks Pink Grapefruit IPA that smells delightful!

‘Shaun’s Shine’.......

AC2968AE-E2B6-4B7A-AC84-0D591D4ACF9D.jpeg
Bloody hell they’ve even started calling beer silly coral names “pink grapefruit” lol...

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a complete list of equipment. I’ve updated it again after needing some more bits. It’s like endless!

Let me tell you, anybody building a big system with high end equipment best start saving! Lol

Abyzz a200 return pump
Ecotech Radion XR30w G4 Pro LED x 4
Ecotech Radion RMS Tank mounts x 4
Ecotech Vortech MP60wQD x 2
Ecotech Vortech MP40wQD x 1 (for the centre of the tank)
Ecotech battery backups x 3
Real Reef Rock Premium x 150kg (to start! Lol)
NYOS Quantum 300 protein skimmer
Teco TK2000e chiller/heater
Clarisea SK5000
Clarisea SK5000 XL Fleece
Deltec FR512 rhowaphos reactor
Deltec Twin Tech 1500 Calcium Reactor
Rowalith W Calcium Reactor media (large grain)
DD 80w UVC
Neptune Apex 2016 Fusion (yes an additional one!)
Neptune Apex DOS (for auto water changes/dosing) x 2
Neptune Apex Vortech WXM Module (to control/monitor Radion/Vortech)
Neptune Apex Magnetic Probe holder
Neptune Apex Auto Top Off ATK
Neptune Apex Leak Detection kit
Neptune Apex 2’ flow sensor (to monitor flow from return pump)
Neptune Apex 1’ flow sensor x 2 (chiller and UVC)
Neptune Apex Optical Sensors x 2
Neptune Apex FMM module (I need an extra one for sensors)
2 x 425 litre water containers for RODI and automatic water changes
ATM Colony x 5 946ml (no I’m not using dead shrimps!! Lol)
Red Sea Reef Pink Live Sand x 70kg
Red Sea Standard salt x 6 22kg buckets

This is next level planning and care in design. I'm learning so much from this thread. Thanks for sharing and I cannot wait to see that deltec hooked up and dialed in! Wishes for smooth sailing as u wrap this up.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is next level planning and care in design. I'm learning so much from this thread. Thanks for sharing and I cannot wait to see that deltec hooked up and dialed in! Wishes for smooth sailing as u wrap this up.
Thanks Rich

I've tried to think of everything, I don’t have a budget so it costs what it’s costs, and I’m basically trying to make running the tank and maintenance simple.

So when I want to clean something it just comes out, rather than taking 30 minutes to wrestle through cables and equipment to get at it. This could ultimately be a reason for me dismantling the S650 if I ever do, difficult maintenance because of clutter.

Because I have a massive sump cabinet there’s lots of space. I also have behind the tank which is fully accessible and currently has all electrics and the Apex systems on a board. I also have the shed housing equipment. So it’s totally uncluttered

Im currently at Birmingham airport waiting to catch a flight to my home in Spain golfing. It’s 2c here, it’s 27c there. mmmmm....

The flights at 0625 so I’ve been up since 3am!!

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in my home in spain at the moment hitting my golf balls ‘far and wide’ especially ‘wide’’ Four!!!

My new tank is slowly being built and I’ve had a great deal of help from the guys at DD on some of the new equipment, flow etc. I’ve also been looking on their web site.

If you haven’t seen this already, this is one of the most beautiful reef tanks in the world, and when and only when you have 12 minutes of your life to spare, with a glass of wine (@RichtheReefer21 this will suit you! Lol) watch this, it’s simply beautiful..........

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in my home in spain at the moment hitting my golf balls ‘far and wide’ especially ‘wide’’ Four!!!

My new tank is slowly being built and I’ve had a great deal of help from the guys at DD on some of the new equipment, flow etc. I’ve also been looking on their web site.

If you haven’t seen this already, this is one of the most beautiful reef tanks in the world, and when and only when you have 12 minutes of your life to spare, with a glass of wine (@RichtheReefer21 this will suit you! Lol) watch this, it’s simply beautiful..........

Always a great watch, such a huge stunning tank, there’s a great behind the scenes video knocking around as well, if I remember correctly he’s got about 8 abyzz 400’s on this system...

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pour it up baby! Saxby's system is every reefers' goals. Thanks for the tag and hope u enjoy Spain. Beautiful country deep in history. The chapel in Barcelona is on my bucket list.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve finished much of the plumbing in the sump, I’ve just got to redo the emergency downpipe as Im not fully happy with how close to the Clarisea roll it is, which may cause issues in the future so I’m just going to lower the 45’ angle a bit lower down when I get some more pipe delivered.

To the left of the return pump (unfinished) is were the pipework for the UVC and Chiller will go and I’m just awaiting delivery of some of the final items, including 2 1” Apex flow sensors and the Teco chiller as well. the UVC is already located outside in the shed for ease of maintenance and I might put the chiller out there as well so in the summer it’s not venting hot air back into the room. Because I have heaters as well, I’m anticipating turning the chiller off potentially over winter, but we will see.

The final piece of the return pipe was a bit fiddly designing and installing. When I did the final solvent weld and fitted it, it wasn’t quiet lined up, but I’ve tightened the 2 union connectors at each end and it sort of pulled itself into place (I think!!). I’ve zoomed in on the pictures and the unions look ok. I won’t know for sure until I do a ’wet test’ once everything is set up. I anticipate just filling the return section of the sump and putting a bucket over the return outlet just to do an initial basic test for leaks just before the final fill.

Ive tried to design the pipework so that any one piece can be removed for either repair, change or whatever by installing unions and ball valves between section. The Deltec FR512 doesn’t have a ball valve on the main pipework because it has one built in on its own pipe so I can turn of the flow there for removal.

9286803B-DB0F-43E7-9CE8-F7CDD97BC928.jpeg

Here’s a full length shot of the sump so far, somethings like the heaters aren’t in final position yet

The long pipe you can see coming in from the left is the spare return pipework (unfinished) which will go into the left hand corner of the display. I haven’t really decided what pump to use yet, probably a Vectra L2 because of the battery backup option

DC86B874-4B86-48F9-AF40-43ADD4482D2D.jpeg

The remaining equipment should be arriving in the next week or so and I can the start finishing varies bits off, but it’s all starting to come together nicely.

Ive also considered what I’m going to do with the waste saltwater. I have a very large blocked paved driveway which I keep clean by pouring a solution of Jays fluid over it around 3 times a year, to keep off the moss etc. I do it usually over a few days.

Now the other thing that keeps things growing on it, is salt or saltwater (and I’ve tested this before). So one of the last jobs will be to purchase a 1000 litre IBC container and the waste saltwater will go into that. Then I’ll attach a hose to it and can pour the saltwater over my block paved driveway and patio. How ‘eco’ is that! Lol. And do you know how much 2 5 litre containers of Jays fluid costs these days!

For anyone considering a build like this, because I’m keeping the S650, at least for the foreseeable future, there’s no time pressure to build the tank up. So the whole process is much more enjoyable, I can take my time, alter things etc.

Last edited:

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Shaun
have you seen this tank in person?

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just like to send a big thank you to @SuncrestReef for some help sorting out an issue with my new Apex ATK on the Neptune support forum, it’s greatly appreciated.

Some things are just so obvious when someone explains it to you! Lol

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just like to send a big thank you to @SuncrestReef for some help sorting out an issue with my new Apex ATK on the Neptune support forum, it’s greatly appreciated.

Glad to hear you sorted it out! Happy to help.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

#r2r4life

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back