Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

Fish & Coral Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
So I’ve been busy today and even didn’t play golf so I could get on with several things with the nice weather we had today.

The S650 is now plumbed in and connected into the automatic water change system, other than I need two John guest 1/4 connectors for the last few feet as the hose wasn’t quiet long enough to reach the Apex DOS unit. I’ve also installed a hose which will be connected to a pump in the RODI water tank so I can transfer water into the RO reservoir of the s650 with a press of a button in Apex.

I’ve finished the water production systems and the saltwater tank is on and filling. I’ll need to leave the RODI tank a bit longer as I may need to move it for the UVC plumbing parts.

‘The RODI system blue hose is split and then has 2 shut off valves so I can control flow into each tank and cut it off. For example when the saltwater tank is full and has salt in, it doesn’t want refilling as it’s drained until it’s empty otherwise the salinity will be diluted of course so once filled the flow will be switched off. The RODI tank can potentially be left on auto fill and both have float valves installed and a pressure switch will shut off the whole system when the float shuts off flow.

The braided hose hanging just below the RODI system is the hose to refill the RO reservoir of the S650 and will be connected to a pump with an anti siphon connector just inside the water tank. Basically I need to join the pipe so I’ll drill a tiny hole in the plastic hose connector and this will be above water pointing back into the water tank

8AD94E55-FB39-40C2-BE73-7343F3D94162.jpeg

The DD 80w UVC is installed at the side for easy maintenance an the bulb will just lift out for replacement rather than having to move or take anything apart. I just need to finish the last plumbing on it and the parts of arriving tomorrow

2C512D57-C070-43D8-86F2-42E60EA76405.jpeg

This isn’t a picture of a toilet, it’s a custom made shed to fill a gap, but all the water pipes and outlet waste water pipes are installed and insulated. The field is mine in case your wondering why the water is going over there

7893272F-30FF-4C49-A767-161D093E467B.jpeg

It’s been a godsend leaving access to the back of the tank as I’ve been able to install most of the electrical equipment there. Infact there’s nothing in the bespoke cabinet under the tank at the moment apart from a light.

The VorTech battery backups and anything else will be raised off the floor shortly and wires tidied up were possible

B17D09A0-2B89-42E2-8D5B-565949CFB167.jpeg

The Ecotech Vortechs are all installed an operational and if you haven’t seen these up close they are really good quality pieces of equipment especially the MP60’s. These are all controlled within Neptune Apex and ready to go,

62E16EA0-8EDB-4758-A565-F714F601AEC9.jpeg
876AC6A4-E438-4C52-ADAE-6F6218D36725.jpeg

So that’s an update as to were we are so far, it’s all coming together nicely

OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

Fish & Coral Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Impressive Shaun. Those automatic water changes will be sweet, it is also nice to see so much equipment been connected and prepared.
The amount of equipment is quiet incredible when you start installing it, and there’s still much to arrive today.

Ive tried to keep it as tidy as possible but the amount of wires is just building and building. The only good point is they are easy to get to as everything's accessible and in easy reach.

For anyone planning a big build, or any build, accessibility to the rear of the tank is incredibly beneficial if you can do it.

OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

Fish & Coral Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Looks good Shaun ! ! !

And I was thinking that was your neighbors yard your dumping the water into ;) ;Hilarious ;Hilarious
I’m probably going to get a 1000 litre IBC container for the old saltwater in a few weeks as I can use it on my block paving to keep It clear of moss etc. and I’ll just extend the DOS tubes into it.

I just thought I’d leave it for the time being as I have enough to do

Best reef aquarium LED lighting

widarecu

View Badges
Reaction score
The amount of equipment is quiet incredible when you start installing it, and there’s still much to arrive today.

Ive tried to keep it as tidy as possible but the amount of wires is just building and building. The only good point is they are easy to get to as everything's accessible and in easy reach.

For anyone planning a big build, or any build, accessibility to the rear of the tank is incredibly beneficial if you can do it.
Cable management is my worse nightmare, it starts clean but somehow always turns into the same mess pretty quickly, you are doing great compared to what I have ;)

OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

Fish & Coral Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks Rich

Its all the detailed planning that Ive done that should make maintaining and running the tank very easy. It will also make the S650 easier to run as well now its hooked into the automatic water change system

Im just about to order a connector that connects the Abyzz A200 to Neptune Apex so that will also be fully controllable from within Apex. This will mean I can make full use of feed mode etc.

I think the cable is made out of gold or something though from the cost!

OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

Fish & Coral Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Catching up and happy to see all the progression. Very well thought out
Thank you, were getting there now and it’s all starting to come together

Im doing things at a slow pace, so I can try and cover everything as far as possible

Will you be participating in Secret Santa 2019?

• Yep! Count me in! (Be sure to register in the thread)

Votes: 120 68.6%
  • Not this year

Votes: 46 26.3%
  • I hope to, but I'm not located in the USA (Please be sure to PM Santa Claus about this issue)

Votes: 9 5.1%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Coral Frenzy