OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the biggest advantage to doing water changes is replacing trace elements. For people using calcium reactors I doubt there is much value. For those of us who dose 2 part, we either need to do water changes or use trace element supplements to keep them up. It may not be a problem for a few months but I would worry about it longer term.

I don’t use a calcium reactor (seems to complicated for my brain and looks like a bomb! lol) but i do dose the foundation elements daily and the trace elements are replaced via Red Sea Coral Colours so basically everything needed is re added as it’s used up. And most bad stuff is removed with the skimmer, activated carbon, Nopox, rhowaphos and Purigen. So hence my thinking.

No waterchanges unless there is an emergency, 3 years 4 months old, I don't see the point!
2 heaters and 2 return pumps, oh and 2 refugiums, because they told me I couldn't do this! ;)

DSC_0001 (1024x724).jpg

Precisely Simon! Lol

It probably will be the long old debate for years to come so ‘you makes your choice’. The mixing station is on!

Last edited:
OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you run your lights and what settings? Have you used a PAR meter? I am getting tempted to purchase one and test my areas.
Hi and thanks for stopping by.

I run my lights from 11.30-22.00 on the following which are the Red Sea reef spec settings but I also go ‘blue’ from 7pm because I prefer that in the evenings. I have a 1 hour ramp up and around 3 hour slow ramp down in blue in the evenings. It actually coincides perfectly with my wine consumption and lulls me into a beautiful muscle relaxed, alcohol induced coma! It’s most enjoyable from what I remember! Lol

As far as using a PAR meter, no I’m not really interested in lighting as long as it looks pretty! Lol. The corals all grow very well so I’ve never bothered with the PAR reading thing.

07EF8459-02EA-4800-B002-8BC36A39B468.png

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It actually coincides perfectly with my wine consumption and lulls me into a beautiful muscle relaxed, alcohol induced coma! It’s most enjoyable from what I remember! Lol

LOL! That is great.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL! That is great.

Yes and it’s true! Lol

It’s like anaesthesia but without the counting, 5,4,3. I just watch the TV, stare at the tank and then...zzzzzz.....! Lol

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and thanks for stopping by.

I run my lights from 11.30-22.00 on the following which are the Red Sea reef spec settings but I also go ‘blue’ from 7pm because I prefer that in the evenings. I have a 1 hour ramp up and around 3 hour slow ramp down in blue in the evenings. It actually coincides perfectly with my wine consumption and lulls me into a beautiful muscle relaxed, alcohol induced coma! It’s most enjoyable from what I remember! Lol

As far as using a PAR meter, no I’m not really interested in lighting as long as it looks pretty! Lol. The corals all grow very well so I’ve never bothered with the PAR reading thing.

07EF8459-02EA-4800-B002-8BC36A39B468.png

Thanks for sharing your lights. I like to see what other are using. Also thanks for the laugh.

I’m gonna get ya......

IMG_0659.jpg

What type of wrasse is this? I think it’s a Wrasse lol

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your lights. I like to see what other are using. Also thanks for the laugh.

What type of wrasse is this? I think it’s a Wrasse lol
Your welcome! Lol

I believe he’s a Neon Dottyback and ‘after’ I purchased him I read he may turn into a physiocopathic killer, but so far not!

Last edited:

KMWhit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
June 2017

Edit: and August 2018

A99C232C-38E5-4364-A518-4DB774629EBF.png

January 2019 side shot

C44013AC-D17C-4B20-A3FC-862F3B1700DC.png

Hi Guys

I've just started my new build thread on here and my tank has reached 1 year old this month.

This is pretty much my first tank of any kind, other than a Max E260 which I had for a few months before getting hooked on the hobby.

I've learned quickly as much as I can. Anyway, I know everyone likes pictures so here are a few and also a video link if it's works!

Your tank is beautiful. I have a Red Sea reefer 250 I want to upgrade. How do you like the max? Is the protein skimmer any good?

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is beautiful. I have a Red Sea reefer 250 I want to upgrade. How do you like the max? Is the protein skimmer any good?
Thank you so much, and thanks for stopping by.

The Max S systems are stunning, and unfortunately not cheap, and if you buy a new one I assume it will come with the latest new Red Sea skimmer. The old C Skim is rubbish and virtually everyone changes it after a year if not sooner but I’ve just checked the web site and their is a picture of the new skimmer in the tank.

I use the NYOS Quantum 160 which is excellent and silent.

And welcome to R2R as well by the way, it’s great to have you with us!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back