SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh

What type of Tang is this?
It’s a dead one, poisoned itself I guess eating all my green star polyp!

Freckle Face Tang

And thanks for stopping by

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow! That is enormous! Ha, reefers.

.... ;Woot ;Woot

Yeah!!

Very exciting news! That is a BIG tank

WOOT WOOT ! ! ! !

;Woot;Woot;Woot;Woot;Woot;Woot

OMG, that is amazing.

The engineering challenges of such a big tank sound awesome. What a great project.

Don't know if there're enough fish left in the ocean if you get a tank that big

..... ;Hilarious

Crosshatch triggers and a big Spotted unicorn tang

index.jpg

I’m thinking really, it’s just like my tank but bigger and needs more powerful equipment and I probably will need a more automated water change/management system, but that’s fairly simple to put into place with some large water containers probably on the wall outside. The tank will go down one entire end wall in my man cave were there is currently a patio door onto the garden, which would be covered effectively.

I’ve already been looking at some equipment, like the Abyzz A400 return pump, MP60’s etc.

If anybody has any ideas on powerful return pumps feel free to share them. The display is around 2000 litres (528 USG) so at a turnover of say x 10 I need a powerful pump, although I guess slightly less than 10 is fine as we will get plenty of water movement with the MP60’s

The Abyzz has a titanium impeller and comes with a 10 year warranty, made in Germany, although it’s not cheap. I’m then thinking Vectra L2 as a redundancy system with battery backups just in case of failure or for maintenance and I could also use it as part of the water change system to pump out water, and then just open a valve to refill. From an outside container

I haven’t made the final decision yet, I’m getting older and I think it’s change, but I’m fairly sure it will be going ahead.

I actually think it would be easier to maintain than the S650 because things are bigger and easier to get to. Something simple like an MP60 on each end of the tank, which just pull off, rather than the 4 rear circulation pumps buried in the back of the S650 (and I hate cleaning those!)

The thought of having a living reef of that magnitude would be quiet breathtaking.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 3-4x turnover is really most common, with 10x being overkill. With that said, most pumps lose a-lot of head pressure so we aim for 10 and get 4.

BRS made me appreciate having dual return pumps, so having 2/3 return lines. The BIG TANK section of R2R probably has some great tips. I imagine 90% of the tips are from people like me who don't have a big aquarium, but a few will be from people with 500+G tanks. WWC does run a few tanks that big and BRS had a video all about their setup. It won't apply directly because they have salespeople that can do daily work on it, but might be interesting. It's very old school (yet successful)

I've always thought humidity would be a major issue with a tank that big and you might need to do something for airflow to protect your house from all that evaporation (like a blower or something)

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 3-4x turnover is really most common, with 10x being overkill. With that said, most pumps lose a-lot of head pressure so we aim for 10 and get 4.

BRS made me appreciate having dual return pumps, so having 2/3 return lines. The BIG TANK section of R2R probably has some great tips. I imagine 90% of the tips are from people like me who don't have a big aquarium, but a few will be from people with 500+G tanks. WWC does run a few tanks that big and BRS had a video all about their setup. It won't apply directly because they have salespeople that can do daily work on it, but might be interesting. It's very old school (yet successful)

I've always thought humidity would be a major issue with a tank that big and you might need to do something for airflow to protect your house from all that evaporation (like a blower or something)
Thanks I’ll have a look at that for some ideas and yes humidity could be an issue

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed my rhowaphos about 5 days ago and the Deltec FR509 reactor has clogged up again already!

You know when you do something really stupid, and have been doing it for a while........

I’ve always rinsed the rhowaphos in the reactor by turning it on and emptying the brown water into a 5 litre jug. Which is what they tell you to do or one of the ways. Well I think every time I do this it’s blocking the sponge at the top of the reactor with fines and massively reducing the time before it clogs. And I’ve always done this and thought it was the input hose blocking. But I think it’s the sponge on the outlet...... I put a new clean sponge in and it worked again without me touching anything else....

To think of all that very expensive rhowaphos I’ve had to change because of this....

Mmmm

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed my rhowaphos about 5 days ago and the Deltec FR509 reactor has clogged up again already!

You know when you do something really stupid, and have been doing it for a while........

I’ve always rinsed the rhowaphos in the reactor by turning it on and emptying the brown water into a 5 litre jug. Which is what they tell you to do or one of the ways. Well I think every time I do this it’s blocking the sponge at the top of the reactor with fines and massively reducing the time before it clogs. And I’ve always done this and thought it was the input hose blocking. But I think it’s the sponge on the outlet...... I put a new clean sponge in and it worked again without me touching anything else....

To think of all that very expensive rhowaphos I’ve had to change because of this....

Mmmm

What are these "reactor and sponge" things of which thou speaketh? :p

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after doing some water tests yesterday the nitrates which are somewhere around 18ppm (guesstimate with the colour chart!) won’t budge.

So I’ve increased the Nopox dose to 32ml/day (yes it’s high! Lol) and ordered 4 litres of Seachem De Nitrate to go with what I have already stuffed in the middle of the Matrix bags for lower flow

The De Nitrate was £32 from a flee bay shop (and it’s new), and I’m not sure if they have mislabelled it or something but all others were around £50 + so we shall see. I was only going to order 2 litres but what the heck I like a bargain. But I’ve used PayPal so.....

And I’ve spent my morning ritual removing asterina starfish. I’m on a mission now and the numbers have significantly reduced and I’ll keep at it. I don’t really want a harlequin as I think it may be an £40 expensive snack when I drop it in for someone....

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Losing balls in the fescue?

;)

I lost 4 new balls, before deciding the day, and my playing abilities didn’t warrant new balls. So I changed to old rubbish balls like I was playing!! Lol

Loving the new pics! They're looking absolutely gorgeous. Color me ridiculously jealous.

Thank you and thanks for stopping by. The originals are much better but when I upload them this site reduces the quality. I’ll keep them coming then!

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its quiet fascinating watching the effect of temperature and other things on the Apex graphs (yes i have to much free time!! Lol)

You can see what happens as the tank comes alive, when temperature changes, when im breathing.....

IMG_0575.jpg

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its quiet fascinating watching the effect of temperature and other things on the Apex graphs (yes i have to much free time!! Lol)\

You can see what happens as the tank comes alive, when temperature changes, when im breathing.

Shaun,
If you had the Alkatronic it would amaze you on what goes on with alk... ;Writing

:)

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shaun,
If you had the Alkatronic it would amaze you on what goes on with alk... ;Writing

:)
If it wasn’t for Trident I would have one by now Freddie. Something to occupy my wandering mind! Lol

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back