OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice update. Are you getting much algae on the glass? What’s your Deltec running at?
Thank you, I clean the glass every 2-3 days and there’s only a bit of algae. Actually because the tank is so big and deep, you don’t tend to notice the glass getting dirty anywhere near as much as the S650.

The Deltec was on 12 litres per day, and I turned it up to 14 2 days ago as the alkalinity was around 7.8 and I want it a little higher. I’ll test again on Sunday and see if it needs any more adjustment

As far as pH is concerned it’s all fine and picture below. This is a big tank, like yours, and I think you would only need to watch pH in anything of a ‘normal size’, it’s not something I’m concerned about with this system at all to be honest.

6CE5C654-0B64-4EB1-B434-DBBB40F9C841.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow shaun, it is breathtaking already. Congratulations and a huge salut in this feat.. and it went up so fast. Beautiful.
Thanks Rich its coming along nicely so far, the corals are growing like crazy and I love the yellow tang gang. Well now they’ve stopped bickering!

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temperature probe on the Apex in the S650 has been going haywire for the last few weeks or so and it also affects the salinity probe, so having spoken to Neptune, a replacement has been installed yesterday.

I was going to leave it, but the monitoring especially of salinity is so helpful for piece of mind. The actual temperature in both tanks is controlled by DD Temperature Controllers as I just don’t trust Apex to do it (several failures) Apex just oversees the DD‘s with autoswitch off if and when required.

Ive also cleaned the rear circulation pumps in the S650........ but no I haven’t because I took those stupid pumps out and installed 2 MP40’s. So cleaning involved lifting it out, soaking in citric acid for a few hours, lightly scrubbing and then reattaching. It was an absolute delight compared with what I used to have to do!

Anyway here’s a few pictures and one of the S650 so it isn’t forgotten as it’s still a beautiful tank.

F531FBE3-6964-457C-A860-987648F847DF.jpeg
D708EF62-0EED-43B8-BF20-B73C5BBAC59A.jpeg
502316F2-24AD-4149-B3E9-BADDE1225CF0.jpeg
D94DB3DE-0775-4187-8A93-4349A325F8D9.jpeg

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway here’s a few pictures and one of the S650
Stunning shaun.

I do the same for my gyres. The chords for them are like 10ft. So I just pulled one at a time and drop them in a bucket next to the tank and run it for an hour. Scrub, rinse, replace.

But theres really no comparing the ease of husbandry that vortech has designed. I almost got a trade for 3 nero 5's. Never worked out tho.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking great Shaun, the yellow tangs put a lot of color and action.
Thanks Pancho, I love the yellow tangs. There just amazing to watch when their swimming together.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stunning shaun.

I do the same for my gyres. The chords for them are like 10ft. So I just pulled one at a time and drop them in a bucket next to the tank and run it for an hour. Scrub, rinse, replace.

But theres really no comparing the ease of husbandry that vortech has designed. I almost got a trade for 3 nero 5's. Never worked out tho.
Thank you Rich

When I think what I had to do to clean those 4 rear circulation pumps. I had to use steps and lean right over from the side of the tank on one leg, and then try and wrestle the pumps out because of coralline build up. Then get the wires out....... I hated it, and that’s why they only got cleaned when one stopped working, around every 18 months or so.

The Vortechs have only been in a few months and I’ve cleaned them ‘voluntarily’ that’s how easy they are

Im not really knocking the design, these systems do what they do, and do it well as a compact all in one, but not for me anymore. Oh the joy!! Lol

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Rich

When I think what I had to do to clean those 4 rear circulation pumps. I had to use steps and lean right over from the side of the tank on one leg, and then try and wrestle the pumps out because of coralline build up. Then get the wires out....... I hated it, and that’s why they only got cleaned when one stopped working, around every 18 months or so.

The Vortechs have only been in a few months and I’ve cleaned them ‘voluntarily’ that’s how easy they are

Im not really knocking the design, these systems do what they do, and do it well as a compact all in one, but not for me anymore. Oh the joy!! Lol

With all the cash you have, being exemplified by your jetsetting around the globe, golfing in far away places, trips to Galapagos, drinking expensive whiskey and keeping spare Abyzz pumps, I'm surprised you get your hands dirty by cleaning anything and don't just replace it when dirty. :p ;Hilarious :p

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the cash you have, being exemplified by your jetsetting around the globe, golfing in far away places, trips to Galapagos, drinking expensive whiskey and keeping spare Abyzz pumps, I'm surprised you get your hands dirty by cleaning anything and don't just replace it when dirty. :p ;Hilarious :p
lol!

Why do you think I have a spare Abyzz a200. The first will last 10 years with its warranty and I can then throw it away and put the new one in!

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the first time the Tang Gang have been fed Nori, well in lumps anyway. I usually feed them pellets from the Apex auto feeder. I use Ocean Nutrition formula 1 and 2 in small pellet form.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the first time the Tang Gang have been fed Nori, well in lumps anyway. I usually feed them pellets from the Apex auto feeder. I use Ocean Nutrition formula 1 and 2 in small pellet form.

I feel buzzed after watching that. Truely amazing shaun. I'll take the abyzz, don't toss it in 2029!

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel buzzed after watching that. Truely amazing shaun. I'll take the abyzz, don't toss it in 2029!
Thanks Rich, I’ll save you the Abyzz, but it might be a bit ‘funky’ after 10 years! Lol

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Rich, I’ll save you the Abyzz, but it might be a bit ‘funky’ after 10 years! Lol

Oddly enough, I just posted this same song, in another thread, but it's fitting!

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve being doing a few tank maintenance jobs today on the ‘big tank’ and one was changing out the rowaphos.

Ive been using a heavy dose since I started the new system, 1kg, mainly so I don’t need to change it so often and I am aware it can have an effect on pH/alkalinity but it’s never really been an issue.

Today is the day I do my testing, Sunday’s normally, and I changed the rowaphos around 10.00 am and it’s interesting to see the Apex pH graph below.

The alkalinity has been steady at around 8-8.5 from last week, and when I tested it about 4 hours later it had dropped to 6.8dKH. I double checked the test and it came out at 6.2!

Ive never noticed any issues before but probably because I haven’t changed the rowaphos and then tested afterwards before as far as I recall.

Anyway after adding some Red Sea alkalinity supliment for an immediate ‘boost’ I’ve also turned the Twin Tech Calcium reactor up another 3 litres/day. And then I remembered that this can happen, so I’ll just keep an eye on the alkalinity for the next few days and maybe turn it back down again.

2A1221AC-8CB5-453C-A569-B622AFBA31EC.jpeg

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shaun, all I can say is WOW! Your tank and pictures are beautiful.. and an inspiration to me. I am just getting started with a 29 gallon. Hello from Nashville! I read your news every day. What kind of camera did you take the pictures with?

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shaun, all I can say is WOW! Your tank and pictures are beautiful.. and an inspiration to me. I am just getting started with a 29 gallon. Hello from Nashville! I read your news every day. What kind of camera did you take the pictures with?
Thank you Elaine, and thanks for saying hello!

Nashville is on my list when I go RVing next. I’ve covered most of the west coast/middle US but not ‘southish’ yet.

Most of the pictures are taken with a Canon EOS 750d, although sometimes for a basic/quick shot I’ll use my IPhone (10 I think!). The pictures your probably referring to are with the Canon which I purchased for my trip to the Galapagos Islands for my 50 the birthday present last year (well one of the presents! Lol). The link to the journal with loads of pictures is below if you haven’t seen it.

Last edited:
Back