0   0   0
C49A5F12-D5D4-4C40-9488-571DD89E2F55.jpeg

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The S650 has 4 Hydra 26 lights which are now around 5 years old, and in the last week 3 of the power supplies have blown, the third of them last night, so I’m expecting the 4th to go and have ordered another ready

I was sat yesterday evening, ok slumped, having sampled a glass or two of refreshments, when I noticed all the lights were out on the S650, and it must therefore be late, it was also very quiet

I walked up to it and noticed the water level in the display had dropped and the sump was full, so I thought I knew I should have changed the pump but it wasn’t a year yet so I’d been leaving it!

Anyway I put the spare pump in, which only takes a few minutes, pressed the power switch, and nothing happpend, which caused my brain all sorts of confusion....

Ive got an RCD unit on the S650’s plug, and for the first time in nearly 5 years it had tripped. The power supply of the Hydra had obviously tripped it, which is worrying if you might be away.

Anyway, for anyone with ageing Hydra‘s it might be worth making enquiries about power supplies. Were I get them from said they sold a load of them last weekend
Thank you for documenting this.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an up date on the change to my own Red Sea Foundation elements

The magnesium and calcium seem to be fairly comparable in terms of strength, but the alkalinity version seems to be around 1/3 stronger from initial testing

In the S650 I was dosing around 275-295 mls per day of the Red Sea version over a long period, many months. When I changed to my version, I stayed at the same dosage but have to reduce this significantly to 225 last week and I’ve just reduced to 175 mls per day. When things are settled I’m guessing the dose will be around 200 or thereabouts.

I keep alkalinity around 8.–8.5, originally it crept up to 10.5 after changing to my version, today it was 9.5 and I’m testing every 3 days just until it settles.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an up date on the change to my own Red Sea Foundation elements

The magnesium and calcium seem to be fairly comparable in terms of strength, but the alkalinity version seems to be around 1/3 stronger from initial testing

In the S650 I was dosing around 275-295 mls per day of the Red Sea version over a long period, many months. When I changed to my version, I stayed at the same dosage but have to reduce this significantly to 225 last week and I’ve just reduced to 175 mls per day. When things are settled I’m guessing the dose will be around 200 or thereabouts.

I keep alkalinity around 8.–8.5, originally it crept up to 10.5 after changing to my version, today it was 9.5 and I’m testing every 3 days just until it settles.

My levels are sky high for the big three, I didn't lower dosing enough after the sps let go,

You might want to put that drink down like now!

I bought a set of test kits, there, I've said it!

He might not have put his drink down so is now cleaning his ipad!

I am swapping to Tropic Marin all for reef from Reeflowers which I have used for years, leaving sps behind for a bit but my tanks are ok, my kh was 10.5 a couple of weeks ago, back to basics for me because I have lost all stability.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tell you what, it makes my head hurt the amount of kit and technology I’ve got in operation with the big tank sometimes!

Ive just received the replacement part from Deltec Germany for the damaged Deltec NFP512 Nitrate Reactor and Ive set it up and it’s maturing for a 3-4 days.

Im using it with a Kamoer FX STP2 continuous pump to control water through it precisely, and a DD P1 Pro single head dosing pump to add the vodka as a food source. I’ve also added Seachem Stability to start it off.

Now a little tip on the Kamoer. If you look at the picture below you will see on right hand side of the unit an arm, with a plastic piece and spring and then the locking screw. It comes shipped with the plastic piece and spring on the other side, I think for protection or whatever, but nowhere in the instructions does it tell you you have to switch it around. There’s a picture on the first page, but one assumes that’s how it’s sent and short of a forensic examination you have no idea.

I sat for 30 minutes thinking why is no water being moved around....... then I did a search and someone else @Deep here on R2R (thank you!) had the exact same problem

Heres the instructions

Anyway it’s all up and running so I’ve got to wait about 3-4 days before testing the output water.....

67188627-187C-4105-9CCD-EC0BE9BDE71F.jpeg
7BA461CD-6EE8-4F6A-95A8-A6F241BD0564.jpeg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I tell you what, it makes my head hurt the amount of kit and technology I’ve got in operation with the big tank sometimes!

Ive just received the replacement part from Deltec Germany for the damaged Deltec NFP512 Nitrate Reactor and Ive set it up and it’s maturing for a 3-4 days.

Im using it with a Kamoer FX STP2 continuous pump to control water through it precisely, and a DD P1 Pro single head dosing pump to add the vodka as a food source. I’ve also added Seachem Stability to start it off.

Now a little tip on the Kamoer. If you look at the picture below you will see on right hand side of the unit an arm, with a plastic piece and spring and then the locking screw. It comes shipped with the plastic piece and spring on the other side, I think for protection or whatever, but nowhere in the instructions does it tell you you have to switch it around. There’s a picture on the first page, but one assumes that’s how it’s sent and short of a forensic examination you have no idea.

I sat for 30 minutes thinking why is no water being moved around....... then I did a search and someone else @Deep here on R2R (thank you!) had the exact same problem

Heres the instructions

Anyway it’s all up and running so I’ve got to wait about 3-4 days before testing the output water.....

67188627-187C-4105-9CCD-EC0BE9BDE71F.jpeg
7BA461CD-6EE8-4F6A-95A8-A6F241BD0564.jpeg

Fancy!!

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey gadgets are what makes this hobby even more fun! We have fish, coral, gadgets, cameras and friends to name a few things! HA!

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive just upgraded the RODI water production system

The 150gpd system I’ve been using only has a relatively small DI resin chamber, and it got to the point I was having to change the resin around every 600 litres or so. Now that might sound a lot to many of you, but not when your talking about large systems, that’s around every 7-10 days.

Anyway, you know sometimes you over think things.....

My system is from Osmotics.co.uk as are all of the accessories, like booster pump, pressure switch etc., and Mark there is brilliant with advice etc. I emailed them and asked if I should upgrade the system in view of the constant DI resin changes to one of the newer ones. And he basically said why don’t you just get a bigger DI resin system, like our 2 or 3 tier systems. You know when you think, how obvious, and why didn’t I think of that!! Lol

So I ordered the 3 tier system, it’s basically 3 containers full of DI resin so of course it will last far longer and I think it also increases the production rate

In the picture below you can see the original DI resin container with the orange sticker, and the additional DI resin units in blue on the right. For those with OCD I know it should have ‘blue’ tubing and not black (waste) but I’ve run out of blue!

A54FBA38-26A5-4040-968D-C63B2FB17331.jpeg
66CF00DC-F288-48ED-A3DB-2148B0D85350.jpeg

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do you keep barrels of alk? Goodness a quarter of a L a day is not child’s play ;Hilarious
The dosing container is 5 litres so lasts for a few weeks, but the alkalinity usage was the only reason I looked into alternatives additives.

The additives I’m using look the same, and the tank doesn’t look any different, the only thing I’ve found is that the Sodium Bicarbonate mixed to the same ratio at RS Foundation B seems to be around 1/3 stronger.

Ive actually just mixed up 10 litres in a large container to top up the dosing container when needed so I don’t need to mix it up again every few weeks.

This is all for the S650 by the way, the large tank has the calcium reactor

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shaun saves all barrels for "heavy" water! :D
I am actually ‘experimenting’ with some Kentucky/Wild Eagle bourbon I’ve m..., (sorry purchased!) which im soaking in Tennessee wood chippings from an oak barrel that contained bourbon.

Its been in for around 3 weeks, and to be honest it’s quiet delightful. Only problem is I keep drinking it! Lol

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am actually ‘experimenting’ with some Kentucky/Wild Eagle bourbon I’ve m..., (sorry purchased!) which im soaking in Tennessee wood chippings from an oak barrel that contained bourbon.

Its been in for around 3 weeks, and to be honest it’s quiet delightful. Only problem is I keep drinking it! Lol
I’ve been told to stay away from Kentucky.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nobbygas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bourbon? Oh the shame.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 23 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • None.

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.7%

Back