Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

Viner87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of your tangs bother him? I’ve got a Kole Tang and would like a tailspot blenny, but worried the Kole will chase him for grazing space.

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my good friend ‘Dougy’ as we call him.

He always looks a little bit grumpy, well a lot grumpy really, but he’s a real character....

He likes to basque in the lush grass.

7516814736_IMG_1221.JPG
7516814736_IMG_1217.JPG
7516814736_IMG_1220.JPG
7516814736_IMG_1218.JPG

latest

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of your tangs bother him? I’ve got a Kole Tang and would like a tailspot blenny, but worried the Kole will chase him for grazing space.
No, non of the other fish bother him at all, infact everyone gets along with no issues. He is a Starry Blenny by the way.

I’ve tried to pick ‘friendly ‘ fish as far as possible and I have read about Tangs etc getting aggressive but I haven’t had problems. I also have a Kole Tang along with several others.

The coral Beauty is the worst offender but just bully’s new arrivals for a short while.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shaun,

A few months ago you were dealing with high NO3 and dosing PO4 if I recall correctly. How did that play out? Are you dosing PO4?

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shaun,

A few months ago you were dealing with high NO3 and dosing PO4 if I recall correctly. How did that play out? Are you dosing PO4?
I was trying to get NO3 down from around 16ppm (or rather under my control) but Po4 is locked down to 0-0.03 with Rhowaphos in a Deltec FR509 reactor so no issues there. I’ve never had to dose phosphate.

For the Nitrate I dose Nopox at around 18ml per day and have 4 x Brightwell Export NO3 Bricks and 1 x marine Pure Block. Nitrates currently between 6-14 and fine at those levels. I have zero algea infact I’m sure the Tangs think I’m trying to starve them and they keep it spotless!

I have been looking at algea reactors recently, but am thinking if it isn’t broke......

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shaun,
We both tumble Rowa for phosphates and it will do the job.

I used to keep nitrates at about 4-5, but now they hang at about 7.

After we read the "Reef Master's"... ;Wideyed, I don't chase certain nitrate #'s and high is way better than, bottomed out :eek:

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shaun,
We both tumble Rowa for phosphates and it will do the job.

I used to keep nitrates at about 4-5, but now they hang at about 7.

After we read the "Reef Master's"... ;Wideyed, I don't chase certain nitrate #'s and high is way better than, bottomed out :eek:

My Nitrate is at 5 now No problems at all.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here in the U.K. it was raining, again, so I couldn’t go hitting my little white ball ‘in all directions’ so decided I would do a 120 litre water change. And then I thought I’ll change the rear circulation vents, and then I thought I’ll change the main pump........

The reason you should change the rear vents on the S Series, is that if you don’t they get encrusted with Coraline algae and then they become a pain in the bottom to get out, especially when balancing on one leg on the plastic stool kindly provided by Red Sea to carry out such tasks!

They all came out easily apart from one! I had to get a spanner out to grip it. Have you ever considered how light diffraction affects attaching a spanner to a vent under water whilst balancing on one leg, trying not to fall off the stool and reaching into the depths of the back of the tank! I kept missing it all the time and it took me a good 10 minutes before I finally grabbed it!

Anyway a new set are in and the old ones are in a bucket of citric acid with the main pump and will stay there for a week or so soaking.

I’ve taken a picture of my spreadsheet I use for making notes of everything. Including now, changing the rear vents.

IMG_0235.JPG

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve taken a picture of my spreadsheet I use for making notes of everything. Including now, changing the rear vents.

IMG_0235.JPG

That is awesome. Love spreadsheets. My tank is not even wet yet and I have several spreadsheets going already.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome. Love spreadsheets. My tank is not even wet yet and I have several spreadsheets going already.
I did it because time goes by and you think its not been long since you have done something or dosed, and its months back so I set this up when i first started out and its been invaluable.

I also add the foundation element results and nutrients into Apex Fusion which does graphs etc for trends.

Sometimes were there are gaps in the record for example, phosphate, its when ive changed the rhowaphos so no point in checking that week as whatever it is its going to reduce again.

I check pH occasionaly with a manual test as this is monitored by Apex and I still always check salinity manually just before a water change and then adjust the salt amount as needed.

Frizzles7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here in the U.K. it was raining, again, so I couldn’t go hitting my little white ball ‘in all directions’ so decided I would do a 120 litre water change. And then I thought I’ll change the rear circulation vents, and then I thought I’ll change the main pump........

The reason you should change the rear vents on the S Series, is that if you don’t they get encrusted with Coraline algae and then they become a pain in the bottom to get out, especially when balancing on one leg on the plastic stool kindly provided by Red Sea to carry out such tasks!

They all came out easily apart from one! I had to get a spanner out to grip it. Have you ever considered how light diffraction affects attaching a spanner to a vent under water whilst balancing on one leg, trying not to fall off the stool and reaching into the depths of the back of the tank! I kept missing it all the time and it took me a good 10 minutes before I finally grabbed it!

Anyway a new set are in and the old ones are in a bucket of citric acid with the main pump and will stay there for a week or so soaking.

IMG_0235.JPG

Thanks for sharing that! I need to go back to my list and add vent cleaning. And see what else I missed.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last jewel loved the cleaner shrimps, great pics. :)
Thanks @najer !

The Cleaner Wrasse seems to be very popular with most of the fish, but he doesn’t tend to go near the Triggers!

He seems a very happy fellow indeed as he darts around the tank offering his services and many of the fish just hover in the middle of the tank as he gets to work.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just wanted to note, I was relooking at your spreadsheet image for an idea and it occurred to me, you may want to switch the orientation of your data. You have many, many more rows available in Excel than columns. Has happened to me before with dates and when the columns run out it sucks.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to note, I was relooking at your spreadsheet image for an idea and it occurred to me, you may want to switch the orientation of your data. You have many, many more rows available in Excel than columns. Has happened to me before with dates and when the columns run out it sucks.
What I tend to do is just overwrite the column data when it gets out of the view I can see on the screen. I like it all to be easily viewable you see.

So basically when data is about to go off the page, mainly the parameter readings I just start again on the left. I’m not really looking for years worth of data but if I need that it’s also stored in Apex Fusion. But normally 2-3 months is fine.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shaun,

@HolisticBear just showed me this video.

Looks like BRS has your 650 ":32" into the video!!!

:D

It’s quiet an honour to have my system featured by @randyBRS !

I can add ‘documentary/article contributor’ to my list of talents now! Lol

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back