OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was not aware these starfish were eating soft corals too and believed they liked the flesh of stony corals only.
Good luck with the harlequins.
Well the ones I have like both ! Lol

They started as just a few and then multiplied until I realised what they were doing but now I know what they are and they are not just cute little white starfish!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7656966928_IMG_2735.JPG

... :rolleyes:
..............;Singing ;Singing ;Singing

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve not seen the Bicolour angel fish since I put him in, but I’m hoping he’s still in hiding, although he was being harassed by the usual bully the Coral Beauty so we will have to wait and see.

The Mandarin is doing ok and just hanging around the rocks at the moment

I’ve added frozen copepods to the feeding schedule ever few days, but I think there are enough in the tank anyway.

I’m currently on a once a month water change schedule at around 18% of total volume.

Apart from that and the hot weather here in the UK, I haven’t really got much else to say or do other than gazing at the tank.

So another picture of the unknown name pinkish coral! Lol

7585975712_IMG_2618.JPG

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it’s been raining here in the UK so I’ve taken the time to do a water change of around 18% which took know time at all really.

I’ve also changed the Purigen I run in ‘the bag’ with another 250g. It’s just a little of something else to keep things in check.

I’ve also made around 80 pints of fine English ale which is another one of my hobbies. I’ve got around 160 pints ageing in kegs, but I quiver at the thought of running out! Lol

Here’s a picture of several corals including a ‘reddish one’!

7516848016_IMG_2249.JPG

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shaun,
As always, it's another great shot.

How's your Mandarin doing?

Thanks Freddie.

He’s doing fine, just hanging around the rocks, mainly at the back so I can’t see him most of the time but when I get chance I’ll take a few pictures

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it’s been raining here in the UK so I’ve taken the time to do a water change of around 18% which took know time at all really.

I’ve also changed the Purigen I run in ‘the bag’ with another 250g. It’s just a little of something else to keep things in check.

I’ve also made around 80 pints of fine English ale which is another one of my hobbies. I’ve got around 160 pints ageing in kegs, but I quiver at the thought of running out! Lol

Here’s a picture of several corals including a ‘reddish one’!

7516848016_IMG_2249.JPG

A rainy day and many kegs of ale. It does not get much more UK than that.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A rainy day and many kegs of ale. It does not get much more UK than that.

Well it’s not raining today but here’s a fine English Suffolk Ale I made, and it’s going down a treat!

IMG_0082.jpg

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve just ordered 2 litres of Seachem Matrix and the Seachem zip bag times 2, as a bit of additional bio filtration to go in the sump area.

I was going to get some more Marine Pure, but I thought I’d try something different and I like Seachem having already used Purigen.

I tested my nitrate levels last week and they were higher than I like at over 18ppm so I’ve increased the Nopox dose by 1ml, and then another 2ml per day yesterday, so I’m currently at 22ml per day and we will see what that does.

I’ve been as high as 24ml but you just need to watch out for bacterial blooms and monitor it carefully and then back off if need be. I’ve got a small power head in the return chamber of the sump to prevent bacterial slime building up which usually occurs there with the higher Nopox doses.

I have been feeding the fish a lot more which is the reason for the nitrate increase and also only doing 18% water changes every 2-4 weeks. It’s not being lazy, it’s just I don’t think it needs it as much now the system has matured.

I’m running Purigen in a bag at 250ml and I changed it a few days ago (after 6 months!) and the water went crystal clear. It’s very clear anyway, but there was a noticeable difference when I put the new bag in so I’ll change it more often in future. If you haven’t tried it give it a go. I just have it in the Seachem ‘The Bag’ nothing fancy.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it’s not raining today but here’s a fine English Suffolk Ale I made, and it’s going down a treat!

IMG_0082.jpg

It is 6:45 am and I am looking at this like "oh so nice" I can almost taste it now:D

I think you will be happier with the Matrix.

My nitrate journey

Marine pure: tossed in the beginning

Messed with the Aquaforest NP-Pro Pro bio s, tank looked good and corals were growing but nitrate were still high

Bio pellet reactor : worked good until I slow down the pellets and crashed the tank.

Zeovit media: Good stuff and works well but wanted to tray Aquaforest media

Life Bio fil with a Zeomix chaser: I have been running this for over 1.5 years and have been pretty happy.

Nitrates have kicked up again, due to overfeeding and I am cutting back a tad, not a ton but a tad.

In summary I am going to have a beer tonight and feed my fishy a bit less.:D

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is 6:45 am and I am looking at this like "oh so nice" I can almost taste it now:D

I thing you will be happier with the Matrix.

My nitrate journey

Marine pure: tossed in the beginning

Messed with the Aquaforest NP-Pro Pro bio s, tank looked good and corals were growing but nitrate were still high

Bio pellet reactor : worked good until I slow down the pellets and crashed the tank.

Zeovit media: Good stuff and works well but wanted to tray Aquaforest media

Life Bio fil with a Zeomix chaser: I have been running this for over 1.5 years and have been pretty happy.

Nitrates have kicked up again, due to overfeeding and I am cutting back a tad, not a ton but a tad.

In summary I am going to have a beer tonight and feed my fishy a bit less.:D

Just got home from work and having a beer now. It is 7am so I put it in a coffee mug so “people don’t talk”

DAD85348-2A22-4F71-A2DD-A8C13C7D7824.jpeg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got home from work and having a beer now. It is 7am so I put it in a coffee mug so “people don’t talk”

DAD85348-2A22-4F71-A2DD-A8C13C7D7824.jpeg

It is 12:00 pm somewhere:eek::D and I think it is safe to say it is 1:00 pm over in Nottingham, your good;) Enjoy.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is 12:00 pm somewhere:eek::D and I think it is safe to say it is 1:00 pm over in Nottingham, your good;) Enjoy.

Right! I am having a beer with @najer on his day off. Nice.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it’s nearly 1 pm here in Nottinghamshire, although I generally wait until around 4.30pm for my first sip of the fine English ales. It used to be 5pm but hey it’s summer! Lol

And I know I’m not an alcoholic because I can’t stand the stuff in a morning!

So cheers boys (for later!)

And on nitrates i agree, feed less, add Matrix and drink lots of beer!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back