SPR1968

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shaun,
Did you already have your clam in your smaller setup before you bought the 650?

Freddie

I had a clam before, in the same tank but it was eaten by hermit crabs. I came down one morning and they were eating it all up. Very grotesque!!

Apart from a Red Sea Max E260 which I had for around 3 months before I upgraded, I have never had any previous aquariums or experience. I've just learned very quick!! I read everything I can all the time.

So no, although this is a 'new' clam which I've had for probably 12 months at a guess, it's not from a previous tank.

For anyone interested in my 'marine adventure', and I hope I dont get into trouble, my first build thread is as below and I keep it updated as it's a diary from when I started to now. So if your interested have a read.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/...uns-red-sea-max-s-650-led-design-build.96917/

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes this is a slight issue I have at the moment. I am dosing NoPox but my nitrates are around 10-16ppm and i need to get this down to <10ppm ideally so although it's still under control I need to address it.

I'm just away at the moment so didn't want to change anything before I went, but I'm going to turn the skimmer up, I wet skim now but I'm going go 'wetter', and I have also been looking at Marine Pure Blocks and also the Brightwell Xport NO3 Bricks. Basically, although I have a lot of live rock already I'm thinking I can increase Nitrate removal even more by adding one of these and seeding it.

I have a high bio load, and I guess the reason the Regal Tang is eating Zoas is because he hungry so I need to address that, but I also need to remove the extra waste output. Phosphate is in check at 0-0.03ppm as I use Rhowaphos
I would suggest sprox or life bio fil and a little zeomix and that would bring down your nitrates. I did not have much luck with the Marine pure product. I run the life bio fil and the zeomix;) and I am feeding just to keep the nitrates above 3ppm

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest sprox or life bio fil and a little zeomix and that would bring down your nitrates. I did not have much luck with the Marine pure product. I run the life bio fil and the zeomix;) and I am feeding just to keep the nitrates above 3ppm

Thanks jsker for the pointer there, I'll have a read up on that because I've just looked and can get it here in the UK. Never heard of it and thats one reason why these forums are so great and helpful.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks jsker for the pointer there, I'll have a read up on that because I've just looked and can get it here in the UK. Never heard of it and thats one reason why these forums are so great and helpful.
Look for Aquaforest link They sell it there in the UK:)

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to hurt hijack @GoVols too much more (but I am), but why would siprox or marine pure lower nitrates in the short term? It will quickly become a biological filter to convert ammonia to nitrate, but won't it take months and months to get denitrification bacteria that convert nitrate to nitrogen?

The bio fil is pre-seeded with bacteria, but does it also included probiotic bacteria? If so, this would rapidly decrease nitrates because it's a bacteria supplement similar to another version of NoPox (AF Pro BioS).

Sorry Freddie. Won't go any deeper on this thread.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to hurt hijack @GoVols too much more (but I am), but why would siprox or marine pure lower nitrates in the short term? It will quickly become a biological filter to convert ammonia to nitrate, but won't it take months and months to get denitrification bacteria that convert nitrate to nitrogen?

The bio fil is pre-seeded with bacteria, but does it also included probiotic bacteria? If so, this would rapidly decrease nitrates because it's a bacteria supplement similar to another version of NoPox (AF Pro BioS).

No Worries.

I handle nitrates in a different manner but I can't promise that it will work for others.
I did try running Matrix inside the Purigen reactor at a 20 gph flow rate and after 8 weeks my nitrates went up from 4ppm to 20ppm.

I did soak the Matrix in MicroBacter7 for 24 hours.

Since the BRS video came out it only confirms the result that I came to at the the first of the year.

But... I do not bacteria or carbon dose anymore, and that was my goal last summer.

So I took the Matrix out and put the Purigen back in. :)

Last edited:

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Spirox is seeded like life Bio fil, I saw my nitrates increase using Marine Pur and moved it out of my sump. As suggested I also use the Zeomix in conjunction with the Life Bio Fil, to manage my nitrates. I have tried several different products, and what I am using now is doing great for me. :)

I am not running a probiotic system, as I was informed when I started the run AF that is was a waist;)

I run so little pro bio s, and really have not seen the real benefits of running pro bio s that I am taking the pro bio s off line. I also run the NP pro, but only a small amount with is like NoPox.

So to some it up, running good filter media and a decent GFO reactor, I am able to simplify my systems nutrient management:)

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spirox is seeded like life Bio fil, I saw my nitrates increase using Marine Pur and moved it out of my sump. As suggested I also use the Zeomix in conjunction with the Life Bio Fil, to manage my nitrates. I have tried several different products, and what I am using now is doing great for me. :)

I am not running a probiotic system, as I was informed when I started the run AF that is was a waist;)

I run so little pro bio s, and really have not seen the real benefits of running pro bio s that I am taking the pro bio s off line. I also run the NP pro, but only a small amount with is like NoPox.

So to some it up, running good filter media and a decent GFO reactor, I am able to simplify my systems nutrient management:)
jsker,

We all find our way and "no one best way"
Every reef is different and what works for one may not work for the other.
Read a lot of builds and it nice to see how others maintain their reefs. Learn a lot reading a lot of builds and "Many ways to Skin a Cat". :)

That's a great thing about Reef 2 Reef. Read, learn and see were certain things can apply to ones reef.

From your last video the reef looks great and if you got a rhythm down and your happy then I'd stay the coarse. :D

Freddie

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shaun,
Looks like we hijacked your thread. :D

We've gotten to know and respect each other.

It's a shame that the other Red Sea thread was killed. Lot of good info on it. It's a saddens myself that they did not leave it up so others could research within that Red Sea thread.

As you said. You are a very fast learner and I have no doubt that you will conquer the nitrates.

Just take it slow and adjust as needed over time.

(lol) bio-pellet reactors scare the jeebers out of me but if you go down that road then set it up like @2una 's way. With one skimmer that handles the reactor all by itself.

Freddie

Last edited:
OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading the Aquaforest site and at the moment it's making my head hurt lol!

It says zeomix is for the 'advanced aquarist' which I'm not, but I'll keep reading into all of it as it's something new to learn and I'm really glad that I know about it now.

I think I'm going to try the Xport NO3 brick seeded with Microbacter 7 as at the moment I only need some 'tweeking' and my system as been fine at around 10ppm with everything thriving.

I'm also trying out Vibrant which also has Nitrate reducing properties, but I'm just using the 2 week maintenance dosing. It completely cleared out the hair algea I had had for months and the tank was sparkling. I stopped using it after the algea went but I started dosing again around 10 days ago just for a maintenance dose as it made the tank look so clean.

Last edited:

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jsker,

We all find our way and "no one best way"
Every reef is different and what works for one may not work for the other.
Read a lot of builds and it nice to see how others maintain their reefs. Learn a lot reading a lot of builds and "Many ways to Skin a Cat". :)

That's a great thing about Reef 2 Reef. Read, learn and see were certain things can apply to ones reef.

From your last video the reef looks great and if you got a rhythm down and your happy then I'd stay the coarse. :D

Freddie
Thanks Freddie and I agree %100. It is alway good to bounce things off of you.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading the Aquaforest site and at the moment it's making my head hurt lol!

It says zeomix is for the 'advanced aquarist' which I'm not, but I'll keep reading into all of it as it's something new to learn and I'm really glad that I know about it now.

I think I'm going to try the Xport NO3 brick seeded with Microbacter 7 as at the moment I only need some 'tweeting' and my system as been fine at around 10ppm with everything thriving.

I'm also trying out Vibrant which also has Nitrate reducing properties, but I'm just using the 2 week maintenance dosing. It completely cleared out the hair algea I had had for months and the tank was sparkling. I stopped using it after the algea went but I started dosing again around 10 days ago just for a maintenance dose as it made the tank look so clean.
As Freddie @GoVols states "there are many way to skin a cat" in regards to Vibrant, I did not have any results with Vibrant the bottle sits on my shelf if you need some:D:D

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shuan,
From my memory when you ran the E260 you used the Red Sea ABC+ powder for that reef.
As you know I use it with my 80 gallons after displacement and I feel like that I would not use for a bigger water volume like what your 650 holds.

@MrMichael
Is going to give the ABC+ powder a try on his new Reefer 170 and use the dose for "Colors" C & D that Kevin shot me in an email.

Can you give Micheal your thoughts on the ABC+ while you ran it on your E260?
Did it stay in balance and keep your Cal / Alk and Mag inline while you used the ABC+ on a smaller volume of water?
Also, Were did you keep your cal / alk and mag at.

I let my #'s slide down a tad and then bump them back up with the ABC+ powder instead of keeping them constantly stable like using dosing pumps.

Thanks, Freddie

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shuan,
From my memory when you ran the E260 you used the Red Sea ABC+ powder for that reef.
As you know I use it with my 80 gallons after displacement and I feel like that I would not use for a bigger water volume like what your 650 holds.

@MrMichael
Is going to give the ABC+ powder a try on his new Reefer 170 and use the dose for "Colors" C & D that Kevin shot me in an email.

Can you give Micheal your thoughts on the ABC+ while you ran it on your E260?
Did it stay in balance and keep your Cal / Alk and Mag inline while you used the ABC+ on a smaller volume of water?
Also, Were did you keep your cal / alk and mag at.

I let my #'s slide down a tad and then bump them back up with the ABC+ powder instead of keeping them constantly stable like using dosing pumps.

Thanks, Freddie
The honest answer is I don't actually know!! Lol

When I had the E260 it was my first ever tank, and I didn't test for anything other than salinity, because I didn't know I needed to, that was my knowledge level! I had cyno outbreaks and all sorts of problems. But then and before I upgraded to the Max S 650, i started to learn everything I could and I still do, constantly.

I used ABC+ but I just added it probably once a week and I had this tank for such a short period I still have virtually all the ABC+ left in the tub.

My 'thoughts' on ABC+ is that it will do a very good job with easy application for smaller tanks, which is what I believe it's designed for, with occasional adjustments of the individual elements. I guess it's ideal to use with the Red Sea Coral Pro salts which have raised levels of foundation elements. I would also think it could be used in larger tanks (i don't mean huge I'm talking maybe low stock Max S's type size), but it would depend on the amount of corals you have as the more you have the larger the uptake and possible rapid imbalance of elements.

Last edited:

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 'thoughts' on ABC+ is that it will do a very good job with easy application for smaller tanks

Thanks Shaun! I'm jealous of @GoVols color and I'm thinking of upgrading from kalk. The whole balanced usage of Alk / Ca usage is a nice rule, but it hasn't been close to true in my tank. I'm sure it will be true with a more mature tank, but quite a few things take Alk besides Calicification.

I'll use Elements to balance my Ca (in turn Mg) and just bump Alk as required.

Love your tank.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Shaun! I'm jealous of @GoVols color and I'm thinking of upgrading from kalk. The whole balanced usage of Alk / Ca usage is a nice rule, but it hasn't been close to true in my tank. I'm sure it will be true with a more mature tank, but quite a few things take Alk besides Calicification.

I'll use Elements to balance my Ca (in turn Mg) and just bump Alk as required.

Love your tank.
Thanks @MrMichael - no doubt like we all are, I'm obsessed by it and to be honest they are stunning tanks the Red Sea Max S's and the photo's really don't do the systems justice - especially when I take them Lol! To have a living coral reef in my man cave is something I am privileged to have and I try and give the inhabitants the best life I can.

On the colours of the corals, (you do know Freddie @GoVols uses a technic called 'hair brushing' don't you !lol), no seriously, I currently dose all the foundation elements to roughly Alk 8dkH, Ca 430-450 and Mg just seems to like being high at around 1400 so I don't dose much if any Mg. I use the Red Sea Coral salt (used to use Coral Pro). My phosphate is around 0.03 and nitrates ideally 5-10 but slighty up now although everything remains happy. From what I've read, (Tanks of the Masters for example), you don't want the water to be to sterile but I also found that phosphate needs to be very low otherwise you can get all sorts of issues and corals.

I also dose Red Sea Reef Energy A and B every day at around 15-20ml of each (total 30-40ml), and then every 3 days or so I add about 30ml of liquid phytoplankton.

I dose Red Sea Coral Colours A B C D at around 6ml every 3 days or so based on rough Ca uptake. I manual dose these as I read something on the instructions that mentioned bad things with overdosing hence I would sooner be in control.

So in summary for my coral Colouration for what it's worth, I basically follow the Red Sea Reef Care program and have since day one of the 650. With an occasional excepti0n, all the corals are thriving as you can probably see from the photos and I believe this is a combination of the stable foundation levels, Reef energy and Coral Colours.

Anyway enough of my waffling on - I know you like photos!!

Just after sunrise with the Hydra 26's. Again the photos don't do it justice and it looks magical at the time as the corals start to come out.........

IMG_0877.JPG

IMG_0879.JPG

IMG_0878.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that Elegance, it looks massive in the FTS you posted today

It is quiet big. I'm not there now but it must be 10-12 inches when expended and it's stunning in real life. There is a smaller one as well front middle.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back