OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am usually every 3-4 weeks 20%. But then I see @FarmerTy 's tank with no water changes and wonder if....
Exactly!

Beautiful system and no water changes, makes you think doesn’t it.

And thanks for the heads up on that thread, another one I missed and will check out!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is sort of we’re i am now which is the reason I was asking for the thoughts of you guys and different methods.

The water change is useful as it enables me to clean the sump at the same time, but as for the worth of it on a mature system, I am really starting to wonder about this myself with modern filtration.

The article above was a good read wasn’t it, it explains fish behaviour quite well.
If I ran a calcium reactor I would be tempted to minimize water changes. I dose 2-part so it isn't a great option for me, imo.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I ran a calcium reactor I would be tempted to minimize water changes. I dose 2-part so it isn't a great option for me, imo.
This is another consideration as well. ;)

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12

Shaun’s skim mate locker! Note the air tight seal! Lol

Smells like a fresh pine forest, beautiful........

IMG_0671.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12

Shaun’s skim mate locker! Note the air tight seal! Lol

Smells like a fresh pine forest, beautiful........

IMG_0671.jpg
lol very nice!!!

Do you use a carbon air filter to help with the smell?

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol very nice!!!

Do you use a carbon air filter to help with the smell?

No I don’t have a carbon air filter (or even know what one is ! ) but it doesn’t smell anyway, well unless you open the cap up and stick your nose in it. It smells horrible when I empty it down the toilet though. I usually give may apologies when I come out!! Lol

The container is from the grape juice concentrate I use to make my wife’s home made wine (hers is like prison hooch with concentrate, rather than my own which is finest Chardonnay or Merlot grapes!). I just cut a small gap with a saw near the top we’re the skimmmer outlet fits into it, so if it overflows it just empties back into the sump. I started using it originally for vacation but it works a treat and it’s inside the sump so no worries if the skimmer ever freaks out if I’m away.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don’t have a carbon air filter (or even know what one is ! ) but it doesn’t smell anyway, well unless you open the cap up and stick your nose in it. It smells horrible when I empty it down the toilet though. I usually give may apologies when I come out!! Lol

The container is from the grape juice concentrate I use to make my wife’s home made wine (hers is like prison hooch with concentrate, rather than my own which is finest Chardonnay or Merlot grapes!). I just cut a small gap with a saw near the top we’re the skimmmer outlet fits into it, so if it overflows it just empties back into the sump. I started using it originally for vacation but it works a treat and it’s inside the sump so no worries if the skimmer ever freaks out if I’m away.
I thought about doing a DIY version but I would have needed some way to turn my skimmer off if it overflowed. I don't have enough room in my sump for a container. The lid on the Avast unit fits air tight with a gasket. When skimmate enters the air it displaces leaves through a container holding activated carbon to pull any smell out before it is released. My wife has completely stopped complaining about aquarium smells now.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly!

Beautiful system and no water changes, makes you think doesn’t it.

I wanted to reply to a lot of the above posts, I even turned my skimmer off a few months ago, as you said, observe the tank, if the residents are happy why mess with it?! ;)
I need to siphon the little tank tomorrow, it will get a 10 litre water change.
Only a few months old and it was filled from the big tank, it will be topped up from the big tank and that 550 litre water volume will absorb the "fresh" water! ;)
To people who don't know my tanks, ignore me, do water changes! :)
I designed the tank because I didn't see the point of water changes, I never call my tank natural by I like to run it as simply as possible, I manually dose and top up with ro.
To anyone that is thinking more about "why do I do water changes", it usually indicates a happy tank! ;)
I lust his tank too! :p

skynite

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone asked me for an up to date stocking list of fish so here it is. A couple are missing presumed eaten by the crabs so.... the 2 missing tangs I think we’re bullied by the other fish and I haven’t added anymore. The tank is established now with territories marked out, food sources protected, so any new additions have a hard time.

Regal Angelfish
Flame Angel
Coral Beauty
Yellow Tang
Regal Tang
Purple Tang
Chevron Tang
Freckle Face Tang
Kole Tang
Tomini Tang
Blue Eyed Tang - missing
Vampire Tang - missing
Blonde Naso Tang
Pair of Blue Throat Triggers that have spawned on at least 2 occasions
Pair of clown fish
Magnificent Foxface
Laboute Wrasse - missing
Lineatus Fairy Wrasse
Yellow Wrasse
1 Yellow Goby
Royal Gamma
Starry Blenny
5 Green Chromis
5 Azure Damsels
7 Lyretail Anthias
Neon Dottyback

I don’t think I’ve forgotten anyone!

Didn't I see an Emperor Angel in your tank also?

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't I see an Emperor Angel in your tank also?
Hi @skynite and thanks for stopping by

I don’t have a Emperor Angel (yet! Lol) I do have a Regal Angel though

skynite

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SPR1968 amazing tank, really. Impressive selection of fish. Yes that Emperor would fit nicely in your tank.

Question for you about feeding. How often do you feed? once, twice, three times per day? do you feed frozen? pellets? etc. And I must say your Regal Angel is adorable, how long have you had it. Their hard to keep, what does your Regal eat?

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SPR1968 amazing tank, really. Impressive selection of fish. Yes that Emperor would fit nicely in your tank.

Question for you about feeding. How often do you feed? once, twice, three times per day? do you feed frozen? pellets? etc. And I must say your Regal Angel is adorable, how long have you had it. Their hard to keep, what does your Regal eat?

Thank you!

I feed 3 frozen cubes around 1.30pm and I have about 8 different varieties including mysis brineshrimp etc with garlic, omega oil etc and I mix and match these for them to get a variety.

I don’t defrost as there’s no need. There’s an article somewhere about this on here. I just throw them in usually in a cup with some Red Sea Reef Energy as well.

At 6.30 the Apex auto feeder adds a 50/50 mix of algae/general pellet food. I purchased the feeder mainly to cover holiday periods but I use it all the time now.

I also occasionally feed a strip of nori on a clip, but this is more when I remember.

I’ve had the Regal, and I’m guessing for about 2 years and he eats frozen and pellets with the rest of the fish. He is adorable and a beautiful fish.

And I know I’ve posted this before, but since were talking about him, here you go again! Lol

7585930032_IMG_0042.jpg

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s a stunner - wish I had got one earlier before my tang crew got established [emoji849]
I’ve got him with lots of tangs Chris, and he was added afterwards, certainly after the Yellow and Regal Tangs and Triggers

I suppose it depends on the individual system and inhabitants but he’s fine in my system, at the moment!

You could get an acclimatisation/fish trap box and try one in there protected for a while and see how you get on. I’ve just purchased the Aqua Medic one for when I add anymore fish to let them settle for a while in piece.

Viner87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got him with lots of tangs Chris, and he was added afterwards, certainly after the Yellow and Regal Tangs and Triggers

I suppose it depends on the individual system and inhabitants but he’s fine in my system, at the moment!

You could get an acclimatisation/fish trap box and try one in there protected for a while and see how you get on. I’ve just purchased the Aqua Medic one for when I add anymore fish to let them settle for a while in piece.

Maybe one for the future mate [emoji6] [emoji1303]

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been a little 'lazy' with changing the rhowaphos in the reactor, I normally do it every 3 weeks or so and its been about 4. Ive also been a little heavy feeding Ocean Nutrition Formula 1 & 2 Pellets once or twice a day from the Apex autofeeder or sometimes even more. This is in addition to 3 frozen cubes around lunchtime

Anyway i checked the phosphate and it was showing 0.18ppm! I normally keep this locked down at around 0-0.03ppm on the Hanna so its very high

I changed the rhowaphos with double the normal amount (i'm away shortly which is the reason for this), and that will drop the phosphate back down again. Its funny because I can see little signs in the tank when phosphate becomes raised, like an odd little brown patch here and there.

I seem to remember reading that pellets can be high in phosphate (or did i imagine this!) so instead of pressing the button on the Apex App on my phone, when I'm feeling kind to the little hungry looking fishys, its back to starvation rations for the time being.

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed the rhowaphos with double the normal amount (i'm away shortly which is the reason for this), and that will drop the phosphate back down again. Its funny because I can see little signs in the tank when phosphate becomes raised, like an odd little brown patch here and there.

Maybe check your alk before you run off....seen some pretty hectic alk drops from fresh rowa & if you doubled it might be worth checking on

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe check your alk before you run off....seen some pretty hectic alk drops from fresh rowa & if you doubled it might be worth checking on
Thanks for stopping by my friend, great to hear from you!

I will do, but it should be fine, Ive done it before. I originally used to use around 500g of rhowaphos, but because the reactor kept clogging with detritus (its fed from the main return) before it was spent, I went down to around 250-300g and changed it more often

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%

Back