Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

KMWhit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much, and thanks for stopping by.

The Max S systems are stunning, and unfortunately not cheap, and if you buy a new one I assume it will come with the latest new Red Sea skimmer. The old C Skim is rubbish and virtually everyone changes it after a year if not sooner but I’ve just checked the web site and their is a picture of the new skimmer in the tank.

I use the NYOS Quantum 160 which is excellent and silent.

And welcome to R2R as well by the way, it’s great to have you with us!

Thank you! I’m holding off to see how the new Red Sea lights are. Thank I have the rsk300 skimmer in my reefer 250 and love it. I’m glad you’ve had a good experience with the max!

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Say hello to one of the first fish I ever got. He’s grown a little!

10754649920_IMG_3285.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s about 6 inches long now, and very active
Very nice! They are cute when little but absolutely eye popping when they start getting to that size.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here are a few tank shots, one of which I’ve posted before but I like it so...! Lol

Everything is doing well and I don’t really have much to do other than looking at the tank and minor maintenance.

I’ve started doing water changes every 8 weeks now, all parameters are in check.

The 2 Lobophyllia corals in the middle, pink and green, seem to be struggling and receding these days. Any ideas ?

I wonder if it was started by the low magnesium levels I had a while ago do to a faulty Red Sea test kit, as certainly the others corals have greatly improved. It really made me realise the effect of magnesium in a reef tank.

Anyway here you go......

7657018432_IMG_2736.jpg
IMG_0673.jpg

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called in at the LFS today to pick up a 5kg bucket of Rhowaphos and whilst there I was chatting about algae reactors, and I had been looking at the ALR series for a while now.

I didn’t get one because it’s just something else to clean and maintain and apart from the obvious it’s no different to changing the rhowaphos but looks much more fiddly and I’ve read they can be a real pain to keep clean.

Anyway, an easy solution we decided, was a plastic container filled with Miracle Mud, and LED light which the LFS use and a clump of Kelp. I don’t now if the Miracle Mud was necessary but it adds things back to the system so....

The LED light is waterproof in case you see it stuck into the water at the bottom!

So this is my adventure into a refugium with a view to lowering nutrient levels, with a possible view to eventually not using, or reducing the dependence on Nopox and rhowaphos, if indeed this is possible.

I’m certainly not trying to strip the water clean, and will monitor this, but it’s just something I wanted to try.

I’ve put the LED in a reverse overnight cycle so on at 9pm and off at 11am and I’ll see what happens.

Can anyone ID the type of Kelp this is ??

IMG_0435.jpg
IMG_0434.jpg

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the light that's 1/2 in the water?

Yes but its waterproof so don’t worry! Lol

The light is contained in a glass tube and its sealed

I might move it with some heavy duty velcro to the top of the sump cabinet in next few days so it’s possibility a temporary position.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like about 1,000 words to me. Hope you are having a great weekend Shaun!
Thanks Brian, you to, and I am apart from it’s raining and I can’t hit my little white balls all over!

Even my fish are sick of me now! Lol

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back