Shawn's Custom 48x24x14 Shallow Reef Build

swilliams2207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All

I'm a *new* reefer who's found my way back into the hobby after a several-year hiatus. When I was 12-13 I started my first reef tank and fell in love with this hobby. I eventually moved on to other things but have always found the process fascinating and exciting. I was somehow bit by the bug again 20 years later and decided to try my hand at a 10g AIO mixed reef cube. My 4-year-old daughter instantly took an interest in the fish as well. Needless to say, the obsession has been reignited and I'm doing what I said I would never ever ever ever do again. upgrade...3 months in...who does this? WE DO.

I've learned a tremendous amount in 3 short months. Having access to these forums, new technology, financial means outside of a 12-year-old, and the desire to learn and research everything til the cows come home has been invaluable! Currently keeping a mix of easier SPS and a few acros. I've already battled bryopsis and dinos. It's amazing to see and understand the cause and effect of different actions. I made mistakes early on by likely doing too much and keeping a tank that was way too clean. I started my current tank with bottle bac and fully cured Carib sea liferock from my LFS. After doing this once I'm 100% going with actual live rock this time. I don't care if it's more $$$

Anyway, I'm learning from the minor setbacks and starting fresh with that much more experience under my belt.

The new tank is a custom 48x24x14 (70 gallon) lagoon-style reef that is currently in the works with @Joe Glass Cages. The funny thing is I've changed the tank dimensions larger twice since originally placing the order. My plan is to install my own AIO compartment built by @Tenecor Aquariums. Here is the equipment list currently on the way.

• 3 AI prime HDs (have 1 already and love it)
  • 2 Echotech MP40s
  • MightyJet 538 return? (TBD, also looking at Reef Octopus)
  • 300 Watt BRS titanium heater with Inkbird
  • Tunze 3155 Auto Top Off
  • Kamoer x1 Bluetooth doser with Tropic Marin All-For-Reef solution
  • Buckeye Hydro 4-stage RODI unit (had one already for brewing beer)
  • 60lbs Caribsea special grade live sand
  • 50 lbs of actual live rock from Florida (TBD on the vendor)
  • Tropic Marin Pro reef salt
  • Custom DIY stand
  • Skimmer (TBD on if going this route. Filtration now consists of floss/carbon/GFO as needed).

My stand build is currently in progress and made from furniture-grade douglas fir. My plan is to leave the design open and hide any equipment in baskets on the bottom shelf. My inspiration for this stand is a farmhouse-style console table that will sit in our office. I needed something that would flow with the room's modern/classic style. I'm going to do a weight test but the frame alone on this thing is SOLID. the front and back cross braces can support all my weight alone. The top will be a sheet of 3/4 birch plywood. Really looking forward to seeing this tank come to life!

51D11678-52CB-4A23-9986-DE7008CAEFA4.jpeg 91979283-4819-4364-935F-3A7B31834A9C.jpeg 9C86E832-EB6E-4D2A-9C56-A35BB830B260.jpeg 3705C1F1-BEB1-42B5-A99C-02D90021F076.jpeg 818D155D-685C-4903-A6CA-3EB0FC9EB23B.jpeg

Last edited:

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All

I'm a *new* reefer who's found my way back into the hobby after a several-year hiatus. When I was 12-13 I started my first reef tank and fell in love with this hobby. I eventually moved on to other things but have always found the process fascinating and exciting. I was somehow bit by the bug again 20 years later and decided to try my hand at a 10g AIO mixed reef cube. My 4-year-old daughter instantly took an interest in the fish as well. Needless to say, the obsession has been reignited and I'm doing what I said I would never ever ever ever do again. upgrade...3 months in...who does this? WE DO.

I've learned a tremendous amount in 3 short months. Having access to these forums, new technology, financial means outside of a 12-year-old, and the desire to learn and research everything til the cows come home has been invaluable! Currently keeping a mix of easier SPS and a few acros. I've already battled bryopsis and dinos. It's amazing to see and understand the cause and effect of different actions. I made mistakes early on by likely doing too much and keeping a tank that was way too clean. I started my current tank with bottle bac and fully cured Carib sea liferock from my LFS. After doing this once I'm 100% going with actual live rock this time. I don't care if it's more $$$

Anyway, I'm learning from the minor setbacks and starting fresh with that much more experience under my belt.

The new tank is a custom 48x24x12 (60 gallon) lagoon-style reef that is currently in the works with @Joe Glass Cages. The funny thing is I've changed the tank dimensions larger twice since originally placing the order. My plan is to install my own AIO compartment built by @Tenecor Aquariums. Here is the equipment list currently on the way.

• 2 Echotech MP40s
  • Custom DIY stand
  • Skimmer (TBD on if going this route. Filtration now consists of floss/carbon/GFO as needed).

My stand build is currently in progress and made from furniture-grade douglas fir. My plan is to leave the design open and hide any equipment in baskets on the bottom shelf. My inspiration for this stand is a farmhouse-style console table that will sit in our office. I needed something that would flow with the room's modern/classic style. I'm going to do a weight test but the frame alone on this thing is SOLID. the front and back cross braces can support all my weight alone. The top will be a sheet of 3/4 birch plywood. Really looking forward to seeing this tank come to life!

51D11678-52CB-4A23-9986-DE7008CAEFA4.jpeg 91979283-4819-4364-935F-3A7B31834A9C.jpeg 9C86E832-EB6E-4D2A-9C56-A35BB830B260.jpeg 3705C1F1-BEB1-42B5-A99C-02D90021F076.jpeg 818D155D-685C-4903-A6CA-3EB0FC9EB23B.jpeg
Gorgeous craftmanship!

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still need to attach the top and veneer the plywood edges but basically the completed look aside from staining/finishing.

3E7D412C-BB40-4BE9-959D-E04994E5A69E.jpeg

I spy a kreg.. my R3 is on its way out, thinking it's time for the 720.

Nicely done on the stand, looking forward to future updates!

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All

The new tank is a custom 48x24x14 (70 gallon) lagoon-style reef that is currently in the works with @Joe Glass Cages. The funny thing is I've changed the tank dimensions larger twice since originally placing the order. My plan is to install my own AIO compartment built by @Tenecor Aquariums. Here is the equipment list currently on the way.

• 2 Echotech MP40s
  • Custom DIY stand

That stand looks great. I wish I had those kind of skills.
I use a Reef Octopus VarioS2 on my IM Lagoon 50 and it’s been great. If you are going to get a controller it integrates easily with both the Apex and Hydros ecosystems.
Looking forward to seeing your build come together.

OP
OP
swilliams2207

swilliams2207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That stand looks great. I wish I had those kind of skills.
I use a Reef Octopus VarioS2 on my IM Lagoon 50 and it’s been great. If you are going to get a controller it integrates easily with both the Apex and Hydros ecosystems.
Looking forward to seeing your build come together.
Good to hear and thank you. I’m leaning towards that now. Honestly this is my first time building anything like this. It’s not hard with the right tools. You just need to take your time and make sure all your cuts are very precise.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s an awesome tool. I bought it for this project specifically but now I want to build a bunch of tables

They certainly come in handy. I wasn't aware the R3 was still for sale, I've gotten plenty of use from mine over the last ~4ish(?) Years.

Mine unfortunately took a tumble last week, and part of my bracket busted.. I think the tumble messed with guides as well, because it chewed up the chip ejection port as well this past weekend. Odd part was it didn't start chewing the plastic until I needed to join some 2x4s. All good on the 1" stock.. My bit is old too, it may be out of alignment as well. Either way I believe a new 720 is in order for my next build!

OP
OP
swilliams2207

swilliams2207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand is stained and in the office. Went with the driftwood look. Kinda had to. Now my big question. To go peninsula config or not? The tank is starphire all the way around with no vinyl so I got some options. I can place my AIO Compartment wherever. The peninsula cuts into the room more but the wife approves either way.

what does everyone think? I love the 300 degree viewing concept but want to be realistic and not totally dominate the space.

regardless I’m going with clear backdrop (no black) because I feel like it adds a lot of depth.

Wide shot of room for reference.

image.jpg

C3664140-5B87-49B2-8859-E5FC05A53F34.jpeg
4560B43B-24D4-46AC-BBAA-F25FB5519BC0.jpeg

image.jpg

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand is stained and in the office. Went with the driftwood look. Kinda had to. Now my big question. To go peninsula config or not? The tank is starphire all the way around with no vinyl so I got some options. I can place my AIO Compartment wherever. The peninsula cuts into the room more but the wife approves either way.

what does everyone think? I love the 300 degree viewing concept but want to be realistic and not totally dominate the space.

regardless I’m going with clear backdrop (no black) because I feel like it adds a lot of depth.

Wide shot of room for reference.

image.jpg

C3664140-5B87-49B2-8859-E5FC05A53F34.jpeg
4560B43B-24D4-46AC-BBAA-F25FB5519BC0.jpeg

image.jpg

I think for the most viewing area while sitting at the desk lengthwise against the wall would be best.

But I also like the peninsula look, it would add more depth from the desk when viewing vs the larger cross section.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back