Shawn's Custom 48x24x14 Shallow Reef Build

CrunchyBananas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m equally as curious. I was so tempted to go sump route but trying to keep things on the simpler side.
I think your idea will result in a very nice, clean looking tabletop type set up and is doable for sure! But I do think there may be some hurdles, primarily nutrients, but if you monitor them and are disciplined in feeding I think it'll be a sweet tank! You even have the potential to have rocks coming out of the water to sort of hide the AIO filter compartment which would be cool, especially in that peninsula format.

Daryl.Norton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great so far, i am busy with something similar but on a smaller scale. Cant wait to see progress on this one.

OP
OP
swilliams2207

swilliams2207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just assembled the AIO kit from @Tenecor Aquariums. I opted for self assembly so I could ensure my return pump fit.

it was not cheap… but that’s what you get for custom.

Also ordered 60 lbs of base/ premium live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater. Just waiting on my tank at this point… which I’m hoping will ship in the next week or so. I live very close to the ocean and seriously considering using NSW. My only reservation is not knowing what else I’m picking up. I’m sure it’s loaded with beneficial stuff but I’d have to collect from the shore.
image.jpg

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just assembled the AIO kit from @Tenecor Aquariums. I opted for self assembly so I could ensure my return pump fit.

it was not cheap… but that’s what you get for custom.

Also ordered 60 lbs of base/ premium live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater. Just waiting on my tank at this point… which I’m hoping will ship in the next week or so. I live very close to the ocean and seriously considering using NSW. My only reservation is not knowing what else I’m picking up. I’m sure it’s loaded with beneficial stuff but I’d have to collect from the shore.
image.jpg
Nice work! Hoping to see the final results. All the best.

OP
OP
swilliams2207

swilliams2207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AF800EE6-622B-48B2-9B66-246068D1AD4D.jpeg
457BA8FA-F6A4-4ABA-9286-328EE528E673.jpeg
image.jpg

Just siliconed the AIO compartment. Had to do some sanding and cut some notches to get it to fit just right. The bottom of the tank has raised bars around the parameter that I didn’t account for. Luckily a orbital sander and coping saw made simple clean cuts.

mad respect for those who silicone tanks together and make them look so good. It’s tedious work. I taped off the outer edges for really clean lines. The rest won’t be seen anyway. Just need to paint the tank sides black to hide the AIO component and this thing is ready for water. I have about 70 lbs of TB live rock coming early October. Going to let this set for a week before testing.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AF800EE6-622B-48B2-9B66-246068D1AD4D.jpeg
457BA8FA-F6A4-4ABA-9286-328EE528E673.jpeg
image.jpg

Just siliconed the AIO compartment. Had to do some sanding and cut some notches to get it to fit just right. The bottom of the tank has raised bars around the parameter that I didn’t account for. Luckily a orbital sander and coping saw made simple clean cuts.

mad respect for those who silicone tanks together and make them look so good. It’s tedious work. I taped off the outer edges for really clean lines. The rest won’t be seen anyway. Just need to paint the tank sides black to hide the AIO component and this thing is ready for water. I have about 70 lbs of TB live rock coming early October. Going to let this set for a week before testing.
Love it, that looks awesome. Can't wait to see how it all comes together.

kiet_kat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also use black vinyl for the back chamber section as well

OP
OP
swilliams2207

swilliams2207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D15D9E24-8C33-4563-A4ED-F3BD49197DDC.jpeg
A140033D-8B83-400B-A0FA-A9DFD19DD6B6.jpeg

Rock is in. This is 35 lbs of TBS base rock. I have another 35 lbs of their premium rock coming in 10 days. Once the tank is cycled I’ll add batch two. The difference between live and fake rock is amazing.

Lots more to organize below. My plan is to hide all components and ATO in the two baskets below for a clean look. Also waiting on custom brackets to mount my AI primes on the bar. Will likely lower as well.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That stand looks great. I wish I had those kind of skills.
I use a Reef Octopus VarioS2 on my IM Lagoon 50 and it’s been great. If you are going to get a controller it integrates easily with both the Apex and Hydros ecosystems.
Looking forward to seeing your build come together.
How is your vario on noise?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back