Shelf life of pinpoint ph calibration fluid packs and replacement probe?

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see and exp date. How long are they good? Also i just got a pinpoint ph probe I may not need right now as turns out. Ill keep it if it lasts a long time if kept in the solution cap it comes with. How long? And will that time nkt being used make it last less once I begin to use it? Iow does storing it reduce its life once out to use?
Ty

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see and exp date. How long are they good? Also i just got a pinpoint ph probe I may not need right now as turns out. Ill keep it if it lasts a long time if kept in the solution cap it comes with. How long? And will that time nkt being used make it last less once I begin to use it? Iow does storing it reduce its life once out to use?
Ty
Calibration solution should be fine as long as it has never been open and exposed to air. The probe should be fine as well as long as it has been stored, unused, with the storage solution intact. Be advised, if the cap is not a perfect seal the storage solution can evaporate. Check it every few months or so. If you see any crystals on the cap rim you know it is not sealed properly and will need to change out the storage solution regularly.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calibration solution should be fine as long as it has never been open and exposed to air. The probe should be fine as well as long as it has been stored, unused, with the storage solution intact. Be advised, if the cap is not a perfect seal the storage solution can evaporate. Check it every few months or so. If you see any crystals on the cap rim you know it is not sealed properly and will need to change out the storage solution regularly.
HI
TY for that! . Yes I experienced the solution will evap over time, esp with a not tight cap. That just happened to my last probe, though it seems to be working fine (for now). The bulb of the probe was still in a spongy mass at the bottom of the solution cap, maybe that preserved it enough. *What do I refill it with if needed for my new one? RO RI?
*And you said the calib solution should be fine? But a REALLY long time? I just got 10 pack of 4.0 and 10 of 7 b/c I thought I needed some right away and was only way to get any shipped really quick was to get that 10+10 pack. You think will be good 2-3 years? I'm thinking yes.

TY

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI
TY for that! . Yes I experienced the solution will evap over time, esp with a not tight cap. That just happened to my last probe, though it seems to be working fine (for now). The bulb of the probe was still in a spongy mass at the bottom of the solution cap, maybe that preserved it enough. *What do I refill it with if needed for my new one? RO RI?
*And you said the calib solution should be fine? But a REALLY long time? I just got 10 pack of 4.0 and 10 of 7 b/c I thought I needed some right away and was only way to get any shipped really quick was to get that 10+10 pack. You think will be good 2-3 years? I'm thinking yes.

TY
Refill it with pH storage solution.
Ideally, you should be recalibrating your in-use probes every 3-6 months. So, use em if you have em. Accuracy and consistency are king in this hobby.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back