Sherman rose with a csb in a 120 gallon tank?

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says, does any one have any input on this matter. My tank is 2 years old and my Sherman has been in the tank for over a year and a half. Want to add a CSB but I’ve heard they do not mix well. Couldn’t really find any details other than “they might not mix”.

Thanks

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont have direct experience, but what I've read is CSB lose coral battles with other nems. So as long as they are separated, i couldn't see how there would be a problem.

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont have direct experience, but what I've read is CSB lose coral battles with other nems. So as long as they are separated, i couldn't see how there would be a problem.
I’m trying to figure out if it’s actual warfare or chemical? They would be on opposite ends of a 4 foot tank.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't seem much (or any) success with mixing "fancy" BTA types. Not saying it can't be done, but that's a risk I wouldn't want to take with pricey nems

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemical warfare could kill csb even in a 6foot tank , I think chemical warfare goes a lot longer than one would expect , they use it in the ocean so it has to be pretty effective

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe i missed it, but that was someone putting 2 in a 13 gallon tank and the other was 7 in a 20gallon tank. There is no way they weren't touching at some point.

this thread is 2 in a 120 gallon... again if they touch it sounds like the CSB will lose... but a 120g is usually 4 ft long.
4 ft tank: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/mixing-bta.858937/post-9374875

I never said it couldn't be done, but there are enough examples of it NOT working that I wouldn't risk an expensive anemone to see if I could do what others can't.
And again, they don't have to touch to wage a chemical battle in the tank. They do this in the wild, thinking that a 4 foot tank makes a difference is kind of silly.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/csb-won’t-hold-onto-rock.862420/

sorry link doesn’t work, another thread , he bought csb and is sharing a tank with other bubble tips experiencing issues

Last edited:

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I believe it to be more of a bacterial issue than chemical warfare issue.

Csb being aqua cultured for so long likely make it a lot more suseptible to bacteria from wild/newer strains of anemones.

Keep in mind that while "sherman rose" have been around for a really long time, there are definitely new wild imports being sold as such to fetch a higher price which ultimately causes aquacultured nems to be introduced to a bacteria that they haven't been exposed to in a very long time (which is why they recover after cipro treatments)

First attached would be a picture of a super nova that I purchased in 2014 from matt at coral collection when the strain was still new and kept with other anemones.

Second attached would a an 8" natural split being kept with natural splits of other gbtas from the same original system nearly 7 years later.

Would I gamble with an entirely new nem from another system? Absolutely not regardless of the price.

Edit: Seems like mobile has some image uploading issues, will attach it later on desktop

Last edited:

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 ft tank: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/mixing-bta.858937/post-9374875

I never said it couldn't be done, but there are enough examples of it NOT working that I wouldn't risk an expensive anemone to see if I could do what others can't.
And again, they don't have to touch to wage a chemical battle in the tank. They do this in the wild, thinking that a 4 foot tank makes a difference is kind of silly.
ok ... I will concede on the idea. Maybe you can find something that kills brown star poylps? that is what I need to get rid of.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20141119_135556.jpg
20141120_092359.jpg
20210924_125032.jpg
20210924_125052.jpg

To reiterate, split of same strains with no new nems for ~7 years.
Wouldn't recommend mixing wild and cultured nems at this point regardless of cost

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20141119_135556.jpg
20141120_092359.jpg
20210924_125032.jpg
20210924_125052.jpg

To reiterate, split of same strains with no new nems for ~7 years.
Wouldn't recommend mixing wild and cultured nems at this point regardless of cost
Appreciate all the replies. So I’m looking at buying a split from a guy. Like a preorder for the end of the year. I’m assuming he sells lots of splits of his CSB. So these are less likely to have issues?

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think to clarify, it's not the source of the csb that's the problem but more so that your sherman could possibly be an issue for the csb as far as mixing.

While I'm not 100% certain on the potential outcome, in theory an original sherman (whatever that may mean in the sense of naming) with a brown/tan foot, blue/violet oral disk and no other colors besides red/pink for the tentacles would more likely be the variant that's been cultured for a really long time (thus in theory be free of any new/fresh strains of infectious bacteria that a less than healthy wild nem could harbor due to shipping) should be okay to mix with a csb

Unfortunately due to reports from some other members having issues mixing the 2 (my theory is simply due to there being wild look alikes being sold as shermans) it's simply best to er on the side of caution and either stick with your current strain or rehome it to another aquarium and add the csb to the 120 unless you wish to gamble on mixing them (Can't say which may end up as the dominating strain either)

Keep in mind if you do wish to gamble, I would strongly recommend planning very far in advance for a worst case scenario and also preparing the tank for multiple anemones

aka: Find a reliable source of 250mg/500mg ciprofloxacin, decent qt light, 10-20g qt tank for worst case scenario and use of + actively changing carbon +implementing UV/+Oxidation in the display to reduce floating bacteria (to cover both potential chemical and biological issues)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back