Shifting fishes to new tank, requiers quarantine???

Discussion in 'Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis' started by nanomania, Mar 20, 2017.

1. nanomania

nanomania Well-Known Member

I have an oc clown pair, a phili yellow tang and a purple dotty in a 42g since 6mnths to 1year.

All are looking healthy, fine and eating well. The new tank is a 130g and is ready.

Can i add them without quarantining them? Will be adding them once a week.

Week1) oc pair
    2) tang
    3) dotty.

Tags:

2. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

You do not need to QT them when moving them to a new tank if you know they are currently disease free. If you have any doubts about there health, such as having seen signs of Ich in the past, moving them provides an excellent opportunity to treat any illness they may be carrying to prevent it from infecting the new tank. Many parasites will continue to survive on fish without displaying symptoms if the fish is otherwise healthy enough.

nanomania, melypr1985 and Humblefish like this.
  3. sc50964

sc50964 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Wii it be a reef tank?

nanomania likes this.
  4. Best Fish-Jake

Best Fish-Jake Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

The only worry I'd have is with the tang, if he gets stressed enough he could develope something not so bueno... personally, I'd quarantine the tang only just to ensure it doesn't become too stressed with moving and continues to eat well

nanomania likes this.
  5. Lynn52

Lynn52 Well-Known Member

I just transferred all my fish and coral to a new tank Saturday before last. I have two tangs, a couple angels and a bunch of small fish. Nobody had any problems with the move.
    I can't imagine why they'd have issues going to from one tank to another as long as parameters match, assuming all are healthy to begin with. Like Brew12 said, if in doubt about health you can and probably should QT and treat.

nanomania likes this.
  6. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

It is important to remember that Ich and Velvet are parasites. They cannot be caused by stress. If you use proper QT protocols you don't need to worry about this.
    Most fish can develop an immunity to both Ich and Velvet. This Is where the stress comes in to play. If you have either of these in your systems, stress can break down your fishes natural immunity very quickly. This is when the parasite infestation becomes very apparent. This can be due to a move, failed heater, water quality issue or any number of other things.

nanomania and Maritimer like this.
  7. melypr1985

melypr1985 totally addicted Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Expert Contributor Article Contributor

Agreed. as long as you QT'd all those fish and know they are disease free, then there is no need to QT them in between transfers.

nanomania likes this.
  8. nanomania

Yes reef.

9. nanomania

None of the fishes have any signs of disease. However my tank did have ich long back, but it never came back. I didnt qt my tang and my dotty.

So do i qt them before transfering?
    Also is a short bath of paraguard a good idea before transfering the fishes?
    Or any way of doing a 1 week qt, before the transfer?
    I recently lost a fish in qt, coz of that im afraid for doing the qt unless the fish is really sick.

10. melypr1985

melypr1985 totally addicted Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Expert Contributor Article Contributor

In short, yes I would do a full QT on these fish before putting them in the new tank. TTM or copper and prazipro.

nanomania and ngoodermuth like this.
  11. nanomania

Cupramine and prazipro 14days?

12. cmcoker

cmcoker Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

If you wanna do the quickest time period and only concerned about ich, then TTM would be preferable. You can combine prazipro with TTM as well. 4 transfers, less than 72hours apart, into fresh tank and then you can do final (5th) transfer into the display. Humblefish has the outline if what days to add the prazipro in a sticky.

nanomania and melypr1985 like this.
  13. melypr1985

only if you can transfer them into a sterile QT at the end of 14 days of them being in therapeutic levels of copper. And you would have to be absolutely sure the levels never dropped below therapeutic levels the entire 14 days.

nanomania likes this.
  14. nanomania

Iv done ttm for snails and shrimps. Snails were ok, but shirimps didnt make it. Never done on fish though.

15. nanomania

As per cupramine, they suggest adding agaun after 48hrs, then let the fishes stay for 14days. Well it killed one of my bangai. So is it ok if i dont add cupramine again after 48hrs? Can half the recomended dose work?

16. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Article Contributor Louisiana Reef Club Partner Member 2018

Yes; it's better to slowly ramp your copper level up over 4-5 days anyway. Unless you are dealing with velvet.

melypr1985 and nanomania like this.
  17. nanomania

Ok, will do that.

18. cmcoker

cmcoker Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I'm not aware of any reason to do TTM on snails or shrimps, since we are trying to leave behind the encysted form of ich. The ich can encyst on these animals so the only thing to do is allow them to wait it out in a fish less environment for 76 days. Shrimps, once they have molted could be moved out if quarantine so long as you are sure of which one molted, since the ich would be left behind on the molt.

melypr1985, Humblefish and nanomania like this.
  19. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Article Contributor Louisiana Reef Club Partner Member 2018

+1 TTM doesn't work on corals/inverts. Only fish.

nanomania and melypr1985 like this.
  20. nanomania

Ok

cmcoker likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted