Shippers really don’t cover losses due to fed ex delays?

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was how I felt and I was surprised to get heat for that opinion...when I ship a $50 gecko or a several thousand dollar rare monitor the money sits in my PayPal until I hear that all is good. If someone runs into an issue down the road I still try to work with them but it’s less cut and dry. At the very minimum I owe them a healthy, live animal though, and I don’t consider the money mine until they let me know that is what they recieved...

Exactly. I used the sell a lot of ball pythons. I once sent out a package with $7000 of snakes in it. That was a stressful night and morning waiting to get the delivery notification. I still would have immediately refunded it if they arrived doa I’m even if they were lost in shipping.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if this will of any help for you all, but you can have the package stay at the final FedEx facility and pick them up yourselves. There are some areas that I can't guarantee delivery by 10:30 am, but that hasn't really been an issue for any of my customers as of yet.
I have done this, and bluezooaquatics has called me to tell me shipping to my house isn't an option because of weather. He has them hold the package at the fed-ex location. Which is an hour and a half drive for me. Also bluezoo has extended thier DOA policy to accommodate me. But as I said in a previous post, never had an issue.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There absolutely is insurance that covers the loss of livestock if the package is delivered late.

UPS refunds shipping cost if delivery is late. The insurance refunds livestock losses if late delivery and pics provided of the losses.

We use the insurance on every package and have for some time. Livestock high dollar packages are handled differently due to the insurance because they know they're on the hook financially for livestock losses. Any shipper could utilize this insurance if they dig around enough to figure it out.
And this is why I will be ordering from you!
Thanks @PacificEastAquaculture

VA5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It usually does not matter for a days delay.
I’ve had this issue several times (shipping carriers seem more and more over whelmed). The last time was on a $900 live sale order from @TCK Corals . It was freezing weather out if I remember. I did speak with a tck rep who said they would make good on any loses in the unlikely event it occurred.
Drip assimilated corals, 20 corals zero losses
and all are growing well
Remember corals are shipped from all over the world (Australia and Indo) likely for many days if not weeks before arriving in US. The overnight is to optimize the chance of coral health but realistically probably not required
All vendors this has been an issue with have said they would refund any dead or dying corals but I’ve never had the need to

sweat90lx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last order I had shipped was delayed. Shipper knew and we were in contact constantly over the next few days.
A few pieces stripped a couple days after delivery and he sent replacements.
Adam at Battlecorals lives up to his reviews. Great corals and customer service.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I quit fighting fed ex years ago. Delays are inevitable. Total losses are inevitable. I honestly couldn't imagine asking a customer to pay again to reship after a fed ex whiffle.

Just suck it up, shake it off and reship the pack. No questions asked. That's what I do at least lol.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quit fighting fed ex years ago. Delays are inevitable. Total losses are inevitable. I honestly couldn't imagine asking a customer to pay again to reship after a fed ex whiffle.

Just suck it up, shake it off and reship the pack. No questions asked. That's what I do at least lol.
That's the way it should be. Thanks for taking care of the customer, Adam!

NYAquatic

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Sorry I don't have time to read through all the posts.
Most seem to at least be somewhat incorrect.

1) NYAquatic, and to my knowledge most larger shippers, cover DOAs regardless of reason. If the fish arrives to you DOA, there's no question it's NOT your fault. Fault lies between the shipped and Fedex. 100%. Would stay away from ANYONE who won't cover DOAs. Again, not the customer's fault.

2) In terms of livestock losses, Neither Fedex nor UPS will reimburse the shipper for losses. NO MATTER WHAT. They could toss your package off a bridge, lose it, destroy it, delay it. Regardless, live animals are never covered. So DOAs are a loss to the shipper, always

3) In terms of shipping charges, I currently use Fedex, but have used UPS in the past. They both have gotten much stingier with refunding shipping costs due to delay. The vast majority of their delays get tagged as "weather delay" or "other delay out of their control". It's often hard to figure out why. In general, delivered the correct day, normally not worth the fight to try to get shipping $ refunded. Most often denied. And customer's cannot expect to get their shipping $ refunded if shipper doesn't get refund from Fedex.

pretty straightforward

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Insurance is available through UPS that covers the value of livestock, we use it on every package we ship. It comes into effect when a package is delayed and covers the full value of the order and shipping charges regardless if delay is due to weather or due to error.

At certain times UPS or FedEx will alter their delivery guarantee due to heavy volume, so in areas where delivery would normally be guaranteed by 10:30am it can change to "end of day". If feasible, it is always best to have any livestock held for your pick up at the closest shipping center.

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've learned to use paypal for everything. That way if it doesn't arrive alive it doesn't matter what the sellers policy is. PayPal will cover it. I just went thru this same ordeal with a larger online retailer.

I also understand that it is my responsibility to accept and take pictures the minute the package is delivered for proof and email immediately if there is doa to at least give the seller a chance to make good on their end first before escalating a paypal claim.

Also my nearest UPS hub is 25 miles away. If the shipper chooses not to guarantee before 1030 then that is on them.

I was told by one retailer that if I escalated a paypal claim that they would no longer accept paypal from me. Well the $700 I spent with them over the last 18 months will now be going some place else. As a buyer there are way too many merchants willing to offer customer service along with their sales.
Are you sure about this. PayPal doesn’t cover live animals. Unless they charged that in last year. Year ago I got into a dispute from eBay guy and lost. They said they don’t cover live animals

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think of it this way.....

Your used to shipping reptiles that breathe air. So there is no way unless they get mishandled that they will die in shipping.

On the other hand you have live animals that breathe water, and if that water is foul(shipping delays) you'll lose the live animal. Where as your reptiles would more the likely just be cold and dormant. So I can see why ellers do not cover shipping costs, but will guarantee the animal.

I live in a very rural area and garunteed by 10:30 AM never gets to my by 10:30 AM, but rather if I'm lucky by 5pm. When I order online I tend to tell the seller this and they pack my animals accordingly. I have never lost an animal due to shipping.
No animal or coral or fish breathes water. They all breathe air :). But I understand your point. Just having a little fun.

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you did not get what you paid for then dispute it. Paypal, bank, credit card company. I have ordered 1000's upon 1000's of items online and never once have been denied a valid claim. Live animals or otherwise. It is up to you as a consumer to know your rights. If you choose to be taken advantage of then that is also your choice. God bless!

If all of that doesn't work then just file a complaint on https://www.bbb.org/ I have found that to be a great way to have a problem resolved. Usually by having a manager call you direct to make everything right. It has worked well for me in the past.

Last edited:

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would a company cover a shipping loss? Because it’s the cost of doing business in most businesses. ..why does wwc/cherry corals/other big names offer to guarantee live arrival even if shipping delays while others do not? I imagine it’s because they want the business and pay the money to insure it, while smaller guys are not willing to put up the expense. I’m not sure why any responsible keeper would ship at a time it was not safe to do so. But many have the option to get insurance and choose not to do so, and choose not to offer to cover deaths due to shipping delay, at times when they could choose to do so. Not sure what the holidays have to do with this hypothetical or why it keeps being brought up...
Wwc is a big company that sets the market. They just build this into there prices. I mean have you seen there prices. Your paying for that 10 day live arrival. Now there corals are beautiful and healthy. They are a plus company and we all should feel lucky they are in our hobby. But personally I ordered once for them. Everything came nicely packaged and delivered as expected. But I know as a hobbiest I can get the same corals for other places sometimes have the price. For me personally I chose not to order from them but that’s my choice. I also don’t order much corals online. There are so many frag swaps , lads and local people selling corals by me I rather buy there

but just my preference

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad to see this thread going as this practice needs to be stopped.

I am going to quote my post from a separate thread for more people to see.
I think u posted on the 1st thread what u said on the 1st thread not the other thread that’s going on

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think u posted on the 1st thread what u said on the 1st thread not the other thread that’s going on
You are right I did.

here is the other thread going if anyone would like to see it. I’m glad to see others are starting to speak out about it.

Gw2kpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They covered mine a few weeks ago when liveaquaria agreed to only give me store credit on three doa fish.

I also agree PayPal policies are a joke. But so far their joke policies have always been in my favor so I'm good with that. :rolleyes:

Screenshot_20191225-161642_Chrome.jpg
There you have it.

If I receive a box of dead corals, I'll contact the seller to work out a solution.

If the solution they propose is "read our policy. You're out the cost of the transaction"

Then my response is "ok. I'm the buyer. I'm protected from a shady seller."

And I'd contact my credit card company with documentation. Fact 1: I used this card to buy a live coral. Fact 2: I received the pictured dead coral. Please reverse the charge"

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back