Shippers really don’t cover losses due to fed ex delays?

grove2nmb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There absolutely is insurance that covers the loss of livestock if the package is delivered late.

UPS refunds shipping cost if delivery is late. The insurance refunds livestock losses if late delivery and pics provided of the losses.

We use the insurance on every package and have for some time.
Ups does however Fedex does not, you have had this conversation in the past. The question in the OP was a Fedex delay. In our case UPS is absolutely horrible, we have a 33% success rate. I will not order or ship anything UPS livestock wise. They call me weekly for my business and I gladly turn them down.

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ups does however Fedex does not, you have had this conversation in the past. The question in the OP was a Fedex delay. In our case UPS is absolutely horrible, we have a 33% success rate. I will not order or ship anything UPS livestock wise. They call me weekly for my business and I gladly turn them down.

Our experience is 100% opposite. I would never ever ship livestock with FedEx, we did for years and then figured out the correct way. We have 99+% success rate with UPS, plus the insurance.

grove2nmb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our experience is 100% opposite. I would never ever ship livestock with FedEx, we did for years and then figured out the correct way. We have 99+% success rate with UPS, plus the insurance.
That may be your hub or location, that is extremely important. With FedEx we have a 99% success rate. We have physically sat down with UPS and when they reviewed the history, they even said maybe they aren’t suited for our area. With that said we have one of the oldest operating local centers in country, a new one is being built in 2020-2021 that is supposed to correct these issues but we will see...

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shipping livestock with FedEx is not the way to go IME. UPS is more reliable and provide insurance that covers the animals, FedEx does not, as a matter of fact FedEx does not want to ship livestock at all. With UPS if there is a delay and subsequent losses the shipper and customer are totally protected.

Anyway, I'm not here to argue the point nor hold anyone's hand. Just wanted to put some actual facts in this thread.

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shipping livestock with FedEx is not the way to go IME. UPS is more reliable and provide insurance that covers the animals, FedEx does not, as a matter of fact FedEx does not want to ship livestock at all. With UPS if there is a delay and subsequent losses the shipper and customer are totally protected.

Anyway, I'm not here to argue the point nor hold anyone's hand. Just wanted to put some actual facts in this thread.
Ok, so I am trying to figure this out about UPS. I am only seeing where live animals will be accepted solely at the shippers risk. Doesn't this take all the responsibility off of UPS?

Screenshot_20191227-000117_Chrome.jpg

Cdipasquale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would certainly like to know where you are getting insurance for your UPS packages. Their regulations specifically say you're shipping at your own risk, just like fed-ex. But I have never used UPS because they've been less than reliable for a few coral orders I've received in the past. But if there is a way to get them to insure it, may be worth exploring.

I think most shippers are going to work with you if a loss occurs....most won't leave you with nothing. My point on dealing with different DOA policies was that you are accepting the policy by purchasing from someone. Whether you agree with it or not, If you decide to purchase from a much cheaper grower who clearly states that shipping is your risk, than shipping is your risk. Agreeing to the risk to get the better deal and then filing a chargeback when something goes wrong is not OK. If you aren't comfortable with that risk, spend the premium and buy from the top names to get that guarantee. I personally will never buy from these premium shops because of the outrageous prices. I'd rather take the DOA risk. Even if an entire order was lost, I can order it again and I still would have spent less than paying premium.

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For livestock shippers: If you have a good rep at UPS they should be able to hook you up with the livestock insurance. UPS did a case study and write up about our business as a promotion for the insurance.

There are two levels of insurance for livestock.
Level 1. Covers cost of livestock if the package is delayed EXCEPT for weather related delays.
Level 2. Covers cost of livestock if delay is due to any event including weather.

Obviously, there is a fee for the insurance, we absorb that cost and do not pass it on to the customer.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EMeyer, I hear what you're saying and I understand. But your entire statement in incorrect. FedEx does not refund late shipments for livestock at all. They don't cover the livestock or the shipping cost. I don't know why....they give their guarantee on arrival time but once they know there is livestock in that box, that guarantee is garbage. The shipper cannot recover anything from fedex at all. It doesn't make sense but that's how it is.

Fedex also wants you to jump through hoops to make your account eligible to ship livestock. A lot of vendors just put perishable on the box and don't declare that it contains live animals, so they can sometimes get away with a refund for late charges. But if they are shipping them correctly with fedex terms, they can recover nothing for late packages. It's a crazy ridiculous system but that's how it is.

That's where Ship Your Livestock comes in. If a shipper uses their service to ship and pays extra for the on-time insurance, then the shipper can recover shipping costs for late packages. But that program is self funded through Ship Your Livestock, not fedex.
Sorry, but as someone who ships all the time this statement is simply incorrect. If the box is late its refunded, I don't ever have a discussion about what was in the box. I can't imagine where this misinformation is coming from. Even USPS refunds late deliveries if they are Priority Express or higher.

I mean, you do have to file the claim, there is some work involved. But it has nothing whatsoever to do with shipping live animals. Its just a box that arrived late, which means its refunded.

Are people trying to file a claim for dead animals? Those arent covered. But late arrivals are.

Last edited:

grove2nmb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but as someone who ships all the time this statement is simply incorrect. If the box is late its refunded, I don't ever have a discussion about what was in the box. I can't imagine where this misinformation is coming from. Even USPS refunds late deliveries if they are Priority Express or higher.

I mean, you do have to file the claim, there is some work involved. But it has nothing whatsoever to do with shipping live animals. Its just a box that arrived late, which means its refunded.

Are people trying to file a claim for dead animals? Those arent covered. But late arrivals are.
When you being to ship live animals with Fedex you waive the right to any refunds for late deliveries, damaged or lost boxes.

grove2nmb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you being to ship live animals with Fedex you waive the right to any refunds for late deliveries, damaged or lost boxes.
This is the section that specifically talks about in my contract with Fedex.
EBA9EDC0-4C5B-4A84-AC75-647E08666C89.jpeg

Karl M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apparently live in an area that it is seemingly impossible to get a package before 10:30am by either UPS or FedEx, though I must admit UPS did deliver Once at 10:40am. As a buyer it is frustrating when one out of three orders I place will incur some form of delay resulting in loss of livestock (Acros). The vendors I have used have always offered to Replace the DOA’s on my next order which is fine, I just have to wait till I place another order.

In fact my last order this past October included replacement Frags that were DOA from a previous order was shipped next day and received by me at 2:10 pm out of nine Frags 3 DOA and 3 more perished within a couple days. I didn’t notify the vendor because I’m frustrated and maybe a little embarrassed with my track record of receiving Dead or Dying Acros. I have no doubt in my mind he would have gracefully offered replacements, I just couldn’t bring myself make yet another call. I have to find a better way to receive shipments that will not result in so many losses.

I personally don’t need help from UPS or FedEx in the pursuit of euthanizing coral I am quite capable of doing that myself.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apparently live in an area that it is seemingly impossible to get a package before 10:30am by either UPS or FedEx, though I must admit UPS did deliver Once at 10:40am. As a buyer it is frustrating when one out of three orders I place will incur some form of delay resulting in loss of livestock (Acros). The vendors I have used have always offered to Replace the DOA’s on my next order which is fine, I just have to wait till I place another order.

In fact my last order this past October included replacement Frags that were DOA from a previous order was shipped next day and received by me at 2:10 pm out of nine Frags 3 DOA and 3 more perished within a couple days. I didn’t notify the vendor because I’m frustrated and maybe a little embarrassed with my track record of receiving Dead or Dying Acros. I have no doubt in my mind he would have gracefully offered replacements, I just couldn’t bring myself make yet another call. I have to find a better way to receive shipments that will not result in so many losses.

I personally don’t need help from UPS or FedEx in the pursuit of euthanizing coral I am quite capable of doing that myself.
I have the same issue. 10:30AM delivery results in 4 or 5pm. I tell shoppers this and they ship accordingly. Never had any acros or livestock dead due to shipping delays.

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have the same issue. 10:30AM delivery results in 4 or 5pm. I tell shoppers this and they ship accordingly. Never had any acros or livestock dead due to shipping delays.

I don't know if this will of any help for you all, but you can have the package stay at the final FedEx facility and pick them up yourselves. There are some areas that I can't guarantee delivery by 10:30 am, but that hasn't really been an issue for any of my customers as of yet.

Karl M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if this will of any help for you all, but you can have the package stay at the final FedEx facility and pick them up yourselves. There are some areas that I can't guarantee delivery by 10:30 am, but that hasn't really been an issue for any of my customers as of yet.
I have had UPS hold location Lose a package, sitting on their shelf mind you. It was not until the following day after countless phone calls that I drove their and recovered the “its not here package “to the demise of many Frags.

I will try and not order from you so can keep your shipping track record in tact...lol

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had UPS hold location Lose a package, sitting on their shelf mind you. It was not until the following day after countless phone calls that I drove their and recovered the “its not here package “to the demise of many Frags.

I will try and not order from you so can keep your shipping track record in tact...lol
I was just trying to offer a suggestion. I think you misunderstood what I am saying. Hiccups in shipping happen to everyone unfortunately.

Karl M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just trying to offer a suggestion. I think you misunderstood what I am saying. Hiccups in shipping happen to everyone unfortunately.
No I understand you were offering a helping solution and Thanks.

I was just trying to show how my luck with overnight shipping has gone lately ...I am jinxed.

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I understand you were offering a helping solution and Thanks.

I was just trying to show how my luck with overnight shipping has gone lately ...I am jinxed.
I will tell you this, a package can arrive safely to just about anywhere. Corals that come from overseas and have to go through customs when they land can be in the shopping process for 50 hours sometimes. Where there is a will, there is a way.

NHgoalstop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I come from the reptile world. When I ship a reptile I insure it and guarantee live arrival. Whatever happens (I’ve never had an animal die but theoretically), if my customer doesn’t get a live animal I will cover it. With aquatics it seems much more common for companies to not cover delays caused by fed ex, and also to not ship using a certified company like ship your aquatics, that can guarantee arrival by 10:30. If an expensive shipment gets delayed do most companies really not cover it? That to me seems the price of doing business.
Anyways, I’m just curious why this is the case in the aquatics world, when most other live shipments, guarantee live arrival regardless of circumstance, so long as it is not the customers error obviously. Do you guys only work with people with good live arrival guarantees or are you willing to gamble? I’ve never lost an animal shipping reptiles but I have had significant delays due to fed ex errors, and it just seems like a big risk (that I believe should be the sellers).
Thanks,
Matty
I also come from the reptile world and when I ship a couple thousand dollar animal I would cover the loss and I always expect the same from people I buy from or I just wouldnt buy from them. i would expect the aquatic people to have the same mindset.

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also come from the reptile world and when I ship a couple thousand dollar animal I would cover the loss and I always expect the same from people I buy from or I just wouldnt buy from them. i would expect the aquatic people to have the same mindset.

And you would be 100% correct. Those commenting that they would just eat the loss because they knew the policy then good for them. Unfortunately that's just not the way it works here in the real world. ;)

If you sell me a live animal then I expect a live animal. I don't mind being responsible and quarantining and treating a sick fish which is starting to become the norm in this hobby. But if it shows up doa then what would you expect? There's nothing to debate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hijinks_78

Hijinks_78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you would be 100% correct. Those commenting that they would just eat the loss because they knew the policy then good for them. Unfortunately that's just not the way it works here in the real world. ;)

If you sell me a live animal then I expect a live animal. I don't mind being responsible and quarantining and treating a sick fish which is starting to become the norm in this hobby. But if it shows up doa then what would you expect? There's nothing to debate.
That was how I felt and I was surprised to get heat for that opinion...when I ship a $50 gecko or a several thousand dollar rare monitor the money sits in my PayPal until I hear that all is good. If someone runs into an issue down the road I still try to work with them but it’s less cut and dry. At the very minimum I owe them a healthy, live animal though, and I don’t consider the money mine until they let me know that is what they recieved...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back