Shoo-Wee Dirty Socks! Are you cleaning your filter socks good enough?

How often do you clean your filter socks?

• Every few days

Votes: 256 26.2%
  • Every weekend

Votes: 158 16.2%
  • Every other week

Votes: 79 8.1%
  • Every month

Votes: 38 3.9%
  • When they look dirty

Votes: 77 7.9%
  • I don't ever clean them

Votes: 11 1.1%
  • I don't use filter socks

Votes: 326 33.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 33 3.4%

• Total voters

Dr Jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random question hopefully someone can help with... where does one buy 4" filter sock plastic rings? If I'm making my own? I like the plastic rings so I'd really like those. These have to be available somewhere, right?

PapaShrimp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use filter floss in a cup as a replacement for my socks. Change the floss every day.
Been thinking of doing this for a while, have you noticed much change from using the socks? I was thinking of adding some bio balls in the cup and the floss too.

chaoticreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use filter socks conventionally. I used to but my bulkhead started to leak each time I changed the socks (back then I changed them every 3-4 days). In ordered to stop the leaking I was having to get a big wrench back into space of 5-6" and chances are over time I will cause more damage, so I stopped using socks all together in that form. But now, I use a 5 micron socks to vacuum my bare bottom and sump, yanking them out right away once the maintenance is finished. The old way, I had enough socks (200 micron) to last me about 2 months and I did machine washed them with little bit bleach and let them air dry out for few days. With the 5 micron socks, I just blast them with water in my garage sink that has a nozzle that switches from a solid flow to a higher power spray, blasting the sock inside and out until they are white again. Hang them up to let them to drip and air dry and be done with them.

Edit: When I use the 5 microns, I meant independently, not connected to my drain pipe. I put the sock in one of my sump's chambers with the vacuum hose feeding into the sock.

Last edited:

Allan3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was still running filter socks I use to change them every 3-4 days. I turned them inside out & gave them a good rinsing in the Utility sink, I always kept about enough socks for a month. When I changed out my 2nd to last pair I would throw in the washer.

I switched to Automatic Roller about 4-5 months ago & definitely don’t miss the socks. Roller last me about 1-1.5 months.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve stopped worrying about cleaning filter socks and just out in new ones when needing to replace them. Used socks get too few days in my system and don’t like dealing with cleaning them etc. so I just completely replace them when dirty.

RevMH

Happy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been thinking of doing this for a while, have you noticed much change from using the socks? I was thinking of adding some bio balls in the cup and the floss too.
Honestly, not much difference from the socks, other than it's much easier to change them more often and there's no more washing the socks. That was my intended goal and it worked very well.

RevMH

Happy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random question hopefully someone can help with... where does one buy 4" filter sock plastic rings? If I'm making my own? I like the plastic rings so I'd really like those. These have to be available somewhere, right?
I made my own ring from an old sock, but I don't think that's what you're asking.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To anyone's significant other who is upset by using a washing machine to clean filter socks, what would they do if a bird pooped on their clothes? A baby or cat threw up on them ect ect. Washing machines are self cleaning. IF there is any mess left behind simply run a rinse cycle and wipe the machine once.

I wash mine about once every 10 days but I have to change them every week at the most, usually twice a week. Since I carbon dose they clog fast.
If you have a frontloader, you should drain it before each new load. they hold a bit of nasty water that remixes with the next load.
All still dirty clothes but if you dont do laundry for a week it gets pretty slimey and stinky with bacteria. We drain, tub clean with bleach then drain again.

Better yet, you should see what the backside of your stainless steel drum looks like.
Youll never want to wash your clothes in there again ;)

I nearly bought a new machine when changing my tub bearings and gasket lol.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a downstairs sump, but it’s really very simple. I change the socks every few days and toss them in a large bucket. It takes maybe 30 seconds. When the bucket is overflowing with socks I put them in the washing machine with bleach - long cycle, extra rinse, again takes just a couple min about every month or month and a half. I then sometimes let them air dry or I will put them in the drier. I have been doing this for years and years. I have used some of the same socks for dang near 10 years now.

The whole process takes almost none of my time and has been working for years. If it ain’t broke...

scvc620

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I see the socks are almost ready to 'overflow' I change them and throw the dirty ones in the laundry sink. I make my own socks, so I can wait until I have a "small" load for the washer. I use only hot water and vinegar and air dry.

Scott Edward Matheney

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a pilot, so very crazy varying schedule. Gone 3 or 4 days at a time and wife won't touch them. I usually wait until they almost start to overflow before changing.
Change 8" felt socks about every 2 to 3 days when I'm home.
Change 14" felt socks about every 5 to 7 days when I'm gone.
Put them in a dry bucket until I only have one or two left, which is about 3 or 4 months.
Then take dirties out on the driveway and pressure wash them inside and out until they are nice and white again. No chemicals, no bleach.

I have finally had some starting to wear out the felt from the pressure after 2 years so I have had to replace a few.

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replace a trio of filter socks every 5-7 days, the used ones go into a bucket while 3 clean ones go into the sump. This is repeated until I exhaust my clean supply which usually lasts an entire month. The filthy ones get a pre rinse in the washroom sink, turned inside out and thrown in the washing machine and bleached. They come out looking almost as good as new.

-Dan

Terr-c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure thing. I'm attaching a picture of the cup I use. It's made by Red Sea. It fits right into the sock compartment, I had to slip the plastic ring from an old sock around it to give it a snug fit, but it fits great otherwise.

I'm also including a picture of it in use, but it's top down and is probably hard to see.

Finally, the last picture is of the filter floss I use. I bought it on Amazon, bag is huge and should last a long time. If I can find the link, I'll edit and add.

Edit: here's a link to what I used.

Fairfield PF-5 Poly-Fil Premium Fiber

15907785158743942929359120269072.jpg 15907785436647104728028876995869.jpg 15907785715954638384610038154663.jpg

revmh That is awesome!!! Thank you, I think I'll give that a try. This sock business is a lot, I have to change mine every few days. They fill up fast. Of course I probably do over feed, I want to make sure the shy fish get food too. The other fish are such pigs ;Happy My Lawnmower Blenny is so fat I thought it was pregnant. Actually searched here to make sure it wasn't. There is a wealth of information here, love it. ;Joyful

RevMH

Happy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
revmh That is awesome!!! Thank you, I think I'll give that a try. This sock business is a lot, I have to change mine every few days. They fill up fast. Of course I probably do over feed, I want to make sure the shy fish get food too. The other fish are such pigs ;Happy My Lawnmower Blenny is so fat I thought it was pregnant. Actually searched here to make sure it wasn't. There is a wealth of information here, love it. ;Joyful
I hope it helps. I do the same, high in, high out.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I actually took a few of the oldest and nastiest pre-made socks and just cut them open and removed the plastic rings. I just reuse them with the homemade socks.

Dr Jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually took a few of the oldest and nastiest pre-made socks and just cut them open and removed the plastic rings. I just reuse them with the homemade socks.
I'm looking to avoid that as I only own a handful of brand new socks. Someone makes these rings lol.

chaoticreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure thing. I'm attaching a picture of the cup I use. It's made by Red Sea. It fits right into the sock compartment, I had to slip the plastic ring from an old sock around it to give it a snug fit, but it fits great otherwise.

I'm also including a picture of it in use, but it's top down and is probably hard to see.

Finally, the last picture is of the filter floss I use. I bought it on Amazon, bag is huge and should last a long time. If I can find the link, I'll edit and add.

Edit: here's a link to what I used.

Fairfield PF-5 Poly-Fil Premium Fiber

15907785158743942929359120269072.jpg 15907785436647104728028876995869.jpg 15907785715954638384610038154663.jpg

I am glad I saw this post, that floss is a lot cheaper then the 7 oz bag ($10) I get on Amazon. I use the floss in a water bottle cut in half jammed onto a MJ powerhead. It polishes my water incredibly in matter of few hours.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back