Shoo-Wee Dirty Socks! Are you cleaning your filter socks good enough?

How often do you clean your filter socks?

• Every few days

Votes: 256 26.2%
  • Every weekend

Votes: 158 16.2%
  • Every other week

Votes: 79 8.1%
  • Every month

Votes: 38 3.9%
  • When they look dirty

Votes: 77 7.9%
  • I don't ever clean them

Votes: 11 1.1%
  • I don't use filter socks

Votes: 326 33.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 33 3.4%

• Total voters

robertpdx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sewed a few dozen using felt, made a "hem" that I can fit a piece of airline tubing through to act as the stop. I was throwing them away as I change them 2x a week and they are cheap to make (assuming you have access to a sewing machine). I just started washing them in the clothes washer, turning inside out, dash of bleach and double rinse. I actually ran them through again with no bleach, but the final (bucket) rinse with RODI/Prime is a pretty good idea I may try.

...purchased some splashless bleach that I had to return (not sure if there are other additives because I don’t think it’s more concentrated).
The splashless bleach is much less concentrated and not a good choice for disinfecting surfaces (e.g. 1:10 dilution), but of course you don't need to soak socks in that strong a solution. The thickener is a combo of long chain acetate and a surfactant which may or may not be problem - it is likely not an issue after all the rinsing but I would prefer to leave it out and just use regular bleach.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ditched mine for a Klir DI-4 and I cannot see myself going back to filter socks.

Glauber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife would kill me if u use the washing machine for that hahahaah

jack_aubry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe not the right place to put this, but I am curious. From the responses, filter socks seem like a chore.
What is the benefit of using them?
If you long term filter sock users, pull them out, what happens?
Do you notice any significant differeences to nitrates and phosphates?
Is it mostly for water clarity?
I used filter floss for awhile, never saw a difference and then stopped using it. Now I don't have any mechanical filtration (if you don't count the skimmer). The army of pineapple sponges, vermetid snails, and tunicates are probably doing that job to some extent.
I am not judging anybody for using them, just want to know why you went this route and continue with it. In case I ever have a system that would benefit from filter socks or a roller mat. I would like to know what problem they solve.
Cheers,
Jack

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use pool skimmer socks (on Amazon about $.50 each) just to catch the big debris, the rest is coral food.

av8soulfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A while back I bought this heavy plastic mesh from BRS. It came in a huge square (as I recall it was like 36 x 36 in). I needed it to keep jumpy fish out of my overflow box. I cut a piece to fit inside a 4 inch sock and then jam the sock on a PVC pipe stuck in the ground. With a high pressure nozzle I can blast the sock and all the gunk runs out the bottom. The plastic mesh stuff keeps the sock open and from collapsing on itself. It's very satisfying to see all the gunk running out of the bottom. I let the socks air dry for a day or two.
socks2.jpg
socks.jpg
socks1.jpg

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried filter socks on my previous 250l tank.

That lasted about a month.

The reason being that I got tired of trying to keep up with the only way (in my mind) that they could be an efficient nutrient export mechanism: changing them frequently, at least every couple of days. So I threw them all away.

In my new tank I am lucky enough to have the space in my sump to have a rollermat (an RE Vlies) and absolutely love how well it works ;Joyful.

RE even told me to downgrade the Bubble King skimmer I was planning on ordering because the rollermat would lower nutrients enough for the larger Bubble King to not be as efficient as the smaller model (250 vs the 200).

Terrp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a filter roller. It's like changing your socks every few minutes with no effort! The roller traps the big particles and polishes the water, but unlike socks, it also lets more pods circulate and doesn't leave the detritus decaying in your tank for a few days. I started with the ClariSea SK-5000 but swapped out the sump for the Trigger Systems Platinum sump with the integrated filter roller which provides a more efficient use of space and easier maintenance.

JeepinReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frequency for me is anytime before they start to overflow. Inside out, washing machine, bleach, additional rinse cycles until bleach odor is gone. Keepin it simple

Rlreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use three at a time, one for each drain. I change every 2-3days. My wife dislikes allowing my to use the washer for them, bought a electric pressure washer and they have never been cleaner. Tank health is also better

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know where you can order the mesh socks in rectangular size? I’m only finding the circular.

Metcho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take dirty sock out and turn inside out put in five gallon bucket 3/4 way filled with water and slash of bleach to keep smell down. Once a week I was all the socks in washer with few slashes of bleach the repeat on small load with just water quick cycle like 10 min wash

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back