Shopping for First Marine Tank Red Sea? All In One?

Salty John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, can I just say what an excellent forum and source of information/guidance we have at our finger tips here!

I have kept tropical fish a decade or so back and I found that quite simple to maintain. Because it is!

I have always wanted a salt water reef aquarium so before I go for the large display tank in the living room, I am going to go for a smaller tank (possibly a nano) in the office to cut my teeth on.

I have so far looked at the Red Sea MAX Nano and the Red Sea E-Series (max E 170 or 260). All going well, I would go for a 260 size tank.

I like the style of these tanks and I also like the stands.

The main questions really, would you guys recommend these tanks? Are there better, comparable tanks on the market? Would you suggest I go for the 'all in one' set up as supplied out of the box by Red Sea? Or should I go for the stand, tank and sump and just kit out the rest myself as I'm likely to want to upgrade the stock stuff any how?

Thanks

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to REEF2REEF.
If I we're to buy an all n one it would be redvsea. They are one of the best plug and play systems, IMO.
That said, if you plan on upgrading components then I would recommend you go custom and buy all the individual components. I've had an all in one system and custom and I prefer the options that custom offers. All in one systems can be limiting for space so you may not be able upsize your skimmer or add an algae turf scrubber should you want in the future.
Also important to note, smaller salt water systems are more difficult to maintain stability than larger volumes of water. If you are just keeping fish then that's not as much of an issue, but if you wish to also keep corals then stability is a key factor and I would recommend the largest tank you can fit/afford. I will warn you that collecting and growing corals can be addicting.

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with above post. If you are already planning on upgrading, I would go as big as you can right off the bat ;). As for all in one tank vs tanks with sumps, I started with an AIO nano tank and it gets crowded quick once you start adding equipment like skimmers and media reactors. If I did it all over again I would go with a sump tank to begin with.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought the RedSea Max E 260 and really like it. As you know it is an AIO tank and has an option package for adding a RedSea sump later on if your requirements change; in that case you would need to buy another protein skimmer. Still, the versatility of this tank has appeal.

Good luck with your choice.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the red sea max c250 for a first tank. I figured 66 gal was big enough to learn yet not too small to outgrow too fast. I liked not having to research and buy separate componets. No regrets. Except I want bigger.... I don't think you can go wrong with RS AIO

OP
OP
Salty John

Salty John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, thanks for the replies folks.

I think I've mislead some of you when I've mention AIO tank setups. I don't mean the one's where the display tank is all there is, and the filtration kit etc is all at the back in a little box.. I meant the AIO tanks with stand with sump and the kit that goes in the sump that is supplied by Red Sea straight out the box..

Would I be better just getting the tank/stand/sump and buying the gear to run the tank separately as there are better things out there compared to the stock stuff that Red Sea would provide?

Thanks

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically, AIO is usually the plug and play type tanks with everything included except maybe the ATO . Even the larger red seas that come with sumps might not come with everything like skimmers or return pumps. Example the RS Reefer doesn't include anything but sump and ATO. You have to purchase your return pump and skimmer, so I'm not sure they are considered AIO's. I could be wrong--just my impression.

I think it depends on you, your time to research, and your budget. For me, the advantage of having everything "decided for me" was I was new to saltwater. Like you, I'd done fresh water tanks. Saltwater is a whole different ball of wax! There is so much to learn, that not having to worry about adding anything but a top off and more flow was worth it to me, especially trying to set up the plumbing.

It also depends on the size tank you're setting up to do. A larger tank, say over 50-66 gal (mine is 66) you'll typically have the sump below. A lot of smaller tanks offer the AIO's that are nice in that they are plug and play and good for first timers or limited space. Also, I believe over time, you can upgrade your RS equipment, esp. if it has the below sumps. Go with your comfort level and enjoy the journey

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, thanks for the replies folks.

I think I've mislead some of you when I've mention AIO tank setups. I don't mean the one's where the display tank is all there is, and the filtration kit etc is all at the back in a little box.. I meant the AIO tanks with stand with sump and the kit that goes in the sump that is supplied by Red Sea straight out the box..

Would I be better just getting the tank/stand/sump and buying the gear to run the tank separately as there are better things out there compared to the stock stuff that Red Sea would provide?

Thanks

Yeah, it doesn't sound like you actually want an AIO one tank... even though the Max Nano, Max E-170 etc are AIO tanks. AIO in the reef world means that the sump and tank are an all-in-one unit. So the tank is divided off in the back to form a sump. AIO doesn't necessarily mean that lights, pumps etc are included. However, the Max E series can be converted away from an AIO and you add the Red Sea sump and piping kit. But that's just more money in the end.

So here's the breakdown on the Red Sea tanks that you are most likely interested in:
  • Max Nano: true AIO
  • Max E-Series: comes as a true AIO, but can be converted to a separate sump setup
  • Reefer series: true "reef ready" tank that includes a stand, sump and overflow plumbing. It has a bonus gravity fed ATO, but most ditch it.

Judging by your comments, I think you would be leaning towards the Reefer series... specifically the Reefer 170.

Last edited:

johnnyk731

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus 1 to broadfields thoughts get a reefer any size you will love it!

Reefer addickt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the same ball park, I want a nice rimless display like red sea offers (and cabinet) but would rather purchase my own sump, any suggestions ?

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the same ball park, I want a nice rimless display like readd d sea offers (and cabinet) but would rather purchase my own sump, any suggestions ?

Just pretend that you are getting the sump for free from Red Sea... in the grand scheme of things, the Red Sea sump doesn't add that much to the total price. Because I'm not sure you can find a rimless tank and stand, that's the quality of the Red Sea, for any less money. If you were willing to build your own stand, then you could go with a another manufacturer's tank and maybe save a little money... something like a Glass Cages or similar.

If you take a Reefer 425XL for example and compare it to the closest size in a Glass Cages:

Reefer 425XL 47 x 22 x 22.6 - $1949 shipped

Glass Cages 48 x 18 x 24 - $697
  • Add Reef Ready - $75
  • Add low iron glass on 3 sides - $350
  • Add black silicone on all seams - ? Call for quote
  • Add overflow cover - $35
  • Add bulkheads for plumbing - $30
  • Shipping - $100
Total: $1287 shipped + charge for black silicone

With the Glass Cages, you would still need all of the plumbing/fittings/nozzles etc for the overflow/drain and then come up with a stand or build one yourself.

OP
OP
Salty John

Salty John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to drag an old thread back to life...

I have just visited the red sea website and I have watched the 8 minute video on the red sea E series tank. The chap in video keeps mentioning that all the running equipment and sump are at the back of the tank. In a rear sump.

Is it possible to place the tank and it's so called rear sump on top of another stand and not use the red sea designed stand?

I have just moved a piece of furniture into my living room that would look great with an E series marine tank on top but it probably wouldn't be suitable for housing a sump etc inside and the wife would not be pleased if I suggested putting holes in her shiny new sideboard. I would need everything to be up top.

Can I do that with the red sea E series?

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I do that with the red sea E series?

Yes you can. I think you can only get them as a package including stand but you can skip using their stand and put it on your own. Just make sure whatever you use is built to hold the weight of the system.

You would not need to order the add on plumbing kit w/ external sump and simply use it as/is out of box with rear filtration compartment.

The Max series allows for either configuration. You’ll want the standard setup.

OP
OP
Salty John

Salty John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Done a bit of looking at the red sea stands. They don't look exactly bomb proof.. I'm guessing 25mm thick MDF.

Some were designed 25mm back and sides and obviously doors at the front, so a weak spot there. With a member in the middle, but then others didn't even have the member in the middle.

How they support 300kg of tank equipment and water I do not know.

I'm possibly going to my LFS to see if they have any in stock as they're a supplier. I'll take my tape measure and confirm the dimensions.

With this piece of furniture we've bought (that I'm hoping to use), I'm fortunate enough to work with 3d design software at work and I have a colleague who is a structural engineer. So I will draw it up accurately and specify the material and have him run an analysis on it with a static load of 300kg and more and see what happens. If it isn't up to it I can beef it up easily enough I think.

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a max e260 and I love it my only regret is should have bought bigger tank.
69C1FDF2-EB54-401D-9895-1A70578F2E53.jpeg

OP
OP
Salty John

Salty John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks great! I know what you mean about going bigger but for me I'm pushing it aiming for the e260!

Would you mind giving me a dimension from the from of the tank to the back of the read sump? I can't seem to find proper dimensions online.

Thanks!

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back