Should green hair algae disappear after lowering nitrates?

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is about 2 years old. Sometime last year I started getting green hair algae in my tank. I didn’t realize what it was until a month or so ago. Once I realized what I was dealing with, I started dosing Red Reef Algae Mgmt and now the Nitrate and Phosphate levels are where they should be. My only question is, is the green hair algae suppose to die and fall off? It’s no longer spreading along the live rock but it’s not showing any signs of dying off. My son and I picked out as much as we could, but it’s near impossible to pull all those little strands out.

Do I just give up and buy new live rock?

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutrients aren’t the problem; the lack of herbivores is.
I have several, but my tank is only 32 gallons. I have two emerald crabs, several snails and a few other crabs. Perhaps I don’t have enough. Any suggestions on what I should get for my tank size?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several, but my tank is only 32 gallons. I have two emerald crabs, several snails and a few other crabs. Perhaps I don’t have enough. Any suggestions on what I should get for my tank size?
Turbo snails or a sea hare will clear it all up within a week.. just be prepared to trade or sell the sea hare when the job is done so it doesn’t starve.

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
My tank is about 2 years old. Sometime last year I started getting green hair algae in my tank. I didn’t realize what it was until a month or so ago. Once I realized what I was dealing with, I started dosing Red Reef Algae Mgmt and now the Nitrate and Phosphate levels are where they should be. My only question is, is the green hair algae suppose to die and fall off? It’s no longer spreading along the live rock but it’s not showing any signs of dying off. My son and I picked out as much as we could, but it’s near impossible to pull all those little strands out.

no, it won't just go away, there is still probably enough nutrients to maintain it. and i wouldn't get rid of the rock, new rock would be likely to grow hair algae as well. I would add clean up crew that is specific to hair algae, and be patient while maintaining nitrate and phosphate at a healthy level for whatever your livestock goals are.

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
you could try a short spine or tuxedo urchin and turbo snails are popular for hair algae.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crabs, in general, are not effective algae eaters.

I’m referring to urchins or snails when I say herbivores.

willsaf.ws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had luck with tangs
Urchins are great I lost mine to Dino’s
When it’s grown I think only urchins and emerald crap will touch it snail might
But the urchin destroyed it …
Tangs and fox face will keep it in check

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s impossible to starve it, everything else would starve first. Fluconazole is an easy simple and incredibly effective way to get rid of it though!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

It will be reduced but not go away. Pull off as much as you can by hand and sreduce white light intensity and number of hours of white lighting and add some snails such as :
Astrea
cerith
turbo grazer
trochus

A Pencil urchin

8-10 Caribbean blue leg hermits

Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?
What is your phosphate level?
Is tank at or near a window?

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx! I’ll be looking for an urchin this weekend!
I have had luck with tangs
Urchins are great I lost mine to Dino’s
When it’s grown I think only urchins and emerald crap will touch it snail might
But the urchin destroyed it …
Tangs and fox face will keep it in check

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back