Should I add more live rock

kyngnemesys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 Gallon Tank with live asking if I should add more live rock to the established tank
85AD5074-2F14-4943-A433-DC2E7ECECBAC.jpeg

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 Gallon Tank with live asking if I should add more live rock to the established tank
Can’t hurt to add more live rock but if you like the scape of your tank should be fine. If you have a sump could always add more in there.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The old school threw in rock until tanks looked like they had a rock wall. Many people are going with a much more minimalist approach today (less rock). I think that you have plenty of rock. If you want to add more for aesthetic reasons, do so by all means. But I don’t think you need any more for conversion of ammonia to nitrates.

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's really your aquascaping preference. Only caveat is you also want to leave some good swimming lane space if you plan to add robust swimming fish (like a wrasse).
If you are concerned about biological filtration, you can also consider just adding bio blocks into sump to reduce the need for rock.

OP
OP
K

kyngnemesys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The old school threw in rock until tanks looked like they had a rock wall. Many people are going with a much more minimalist approach today (less rock). I think that you have plenty of rock. If you want to add more for aesthetic reasons, do so by all means. But I don’t think you need any more for conversion of ammonia to nitrates.
Thank you pat i didnt think about that. Greatly Appreciate the information

OP
OP
K

kyngnemesys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No to more rock, yes to more flow if thats all cyano I spy.

If you want more liverock consider TBS due to how much life you will actually receieve with said liverock.
Im using two gyre icecaps 3k should I get something stronger?

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cryptic zone are good to have as they are low flow low to no light environments sponges etc will grow and improve overall health of tank and coral as theres a direct relationship between sponges and coral and adding more flow will not fix the cyno problem 1 bit thats either a water issue cuc not large enoff for tank or your rock is still leaching phosphates into the water as that tank does not look to be what I would call cycled looks brand new likes its only been setup less then a month and you have nothing beneficial growing to help stabilize the enviroment to rig the tank of that just do water large changes every 3 days untill the nutrients are leached out of everything as the sand and rocks balance themselves with the water so high in water rock absorbs high in rock water absorbs and cyno feeds also blowing the cynic off with a turkey baster or sucking it up will help alot as cyno can break down food on its own bypassing the normal cycle I hate hearing the add mlre flow fixes it as kt will not you need to get stuff that will eat it and prevent it from catching food and breaking it down a good cuc goes a long way

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cryptic zone are good to have as they are low flow low to no light environments sponges etc will grow and improve overall health of tank and coral as theres a direct relationship between sponges and coral and adding more flow will not fix the cyno problem 1 bit thats either a water issue cuc not large enoff for tank or your rock is still leaching phosphates into the water as that tank does not look to be what I would call cycled looks brand new likes its only been setup less then a month and you have nothing beneficial growing to help stabilize the enviroment to rig the tank of that just do water large changes every 3 days untill the nutrients are leached out of everything as the sand and rocks balance themselves with the water so high in water rock absorbs high in rock water absorbs and cyno feeds also blowing the cynic off with a turkey baster or sucking it up will help alot as cyno can break down food on its own bypassing the normal cycle I hate hearing the add mlre flow fixes it as kt will not you need to get stuff that will eat it and prevent it from catching food and breaking it down a good cuc goes a long way
More than I hate trying to read one long run-on sentence?
;)

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probly not but that's all me and honestly what works for one person wont always work for another so just trial and error is the only real way to tell I just get tired of the more flow fixes it I was told the same thing 15 years ago had so much had sand storms and still had cyno growning

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what this hobbie is all about learning as much as you can finding a good starting point based off others experience then refining into what works for you and your setup and it even goes as far as what works for this tank may not work for another tank you take care of becouse of the slight variations good luck to the op and I hope it flourishes into a long lasting gorges reef one day but in my opinion as long as you have enoff surface area for bacteria to grow for the amount of livestock you have or will have it will be fine mkre livestock equals more surface area needed so if your running a light bioload then more then likly you have plenty of rock in there and as others have said you can add more to a fuge/sump down the road if you need it and dont want to add it to your dt

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back