Should I avoid Xenia / Kenya tree?

mamareef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called my local coral store to chat about beginner corals they have… they do not carry Xenia’s or Kenya trees because they are so invasive. The employee highly recommended against me seeking out and purchasing these corals for my first reef tank (20 gallons).
what is the opinion on here? I can do without the Kenya tree I guess but I was really looking forward to a pulsing Xenia! It’s hard to think ahead to the future of dealing with it over taking my tank.
thanks for any advice!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called my local coral store to chat about beginner corals they have… they do not carry Xenia’s or Kenya trees because they are so invasive. The employee highly recommended against me seeking out and purchasing these corals for my first reef tank (20 gallons).
what is the opinion on here? I can do without the Kenya tree I guess but I was really looking forward to a pulsing Xenia! It’s hard to think ahead to the future of dealing with it over taking my tank.
thanks for any advice!
Don't agree with your LFS. Did a quick google of your area, since you don't live in timbuktu and there are 9 near you. Suggest try another. If you want them, then you should get them.

Kenya trees are pink and cute - on my wish list

Xenia is my BF's favorite coral, and we've got a large specimen hosting one of our clown fish because the other clown fish will not let it into anemones garden except to sleep at night. (personally, I hate it but thinking I need to slide another rock up next to its rock, let xenia jump over, then grow, then trade it in for LFS credit... let my tank pay us a bit to cover foods, etc)

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for any advice!
I think you should get the corals you like. People tend to overstate how invasive these types of corals are. They’re not going to take your tank over over night. So long as you place them strategically and prune them back before they get out of control, it’s not a big issue. I think in a larger tank with a lot of rock a Kenya tree dropping babies is more of an issue because they can be difficult to find before they take hold, but in a nano it’s basically impossible to not notice when they drop babies. So if you want some Xenia, get some Xenia.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea my tank is nightmare fuel for them .. Xenia , Kenya trees , and pink anthelia all on the same right side rock! It’s your tank pit what you’d like to see, Xenia is usually everyone’s fav coral when lookin at tank (they don’t see my anemones :,( lol

Attachments

• 2FBACE97-8224-4518-9817-3420D7449227.jpeg
    2FBACE97-8224-4518-9817-3420D7449227.jpeg
    298.3 KB · Views: 213

Phistergosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get xenia. It's a great starter coral. People that know nothing about reefing seem to really enjoy the movement.

Here's the deal: they need to be on their own rock that isn't touching any other rocks. Make a little island for it. It's not an issue till it spreads out past it's plug or whatever it came on. If somehow some breaks away, just put some aptasia x on it.

OP
OP
mamareef

mamareef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't agree with your LFS. Did a quick google of your area, since you don't live in timbuktu and there are 9 near you. Suggest try another. If you want them, then you should get them.

Kenya trees are pink and cute - on my wish list

Xenia is my BF's favorite coral, and we've got a large specimen hosting one of our clown fish because the other clown fish will not let it into anemones garden except to sleep at night. (personally, I hate it but thinking I need to slide another rock up next to its rock, let xenia jump over, then grow, then trade it in for LFS credit... let my tank pay us a bit to cover foods, etc)
Haha! Far from Timbuktu here in San Diego! The store I called was where I was hoping to purchase from… but I do have backups, yes
More just concerning how passionate this store employee was…
Thank you for the input! I think I will continue on my hunt for a Xenia ;)

reef4life!!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had experience with those corals but from what i have read and see in forums,youtube etc. it seems that xenia is bigger problem than kenya. Xenia corals can really take over the tank,especially a small 20gallon tank.Kenya corals can grow big but they are really easy to frag them,you just cut pieces and boom you have a frag which you can take to your lfs or some other guy in your area and traded it with some other corals

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
xenias are perfect beginner coral. they can be invasive, but since lot is known about them we know how to content them. I'll rather have you deal with invasive xenia in an isolated island, or even chisel it out from a larger main structure than getting lps and seeing them melt while we learn to tune the tank and more importantly to give you the joy as a novice for prolonged period of time when the tank matures. it may take 1-2 years. Growth of these corals itself will be good indicator of tank health.
Those who are not aware of the intricacies of coral types, (like my family friends) may also find a xenia more appealing (because they wave).
Xenia, GSP, cespitularia are all in this category. I say go for it :)

OP
OP
mamareef

mamareef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
xenias are perfect beginner coral. they can be invasive, but since lot is known about them we know how to content them. I'll rather have you deal with invasive xenia in an isolated island, or even chisel it out from a larger main structure than getting lps and seeing them melt while we learn to tune the tank and more importantly to give you the joy as a novice for prolonged period of time when the tank matures. it may take 1-2 years. Growth of these corals itself will be good indicator of tank health.
Those who are not aware of the intricacies of coral types, (like my family friends) may also find a xenia more appealing (because they wave).
Xenia, GSP, cespitularia are all in this category. I say go for it :)
I love this response. Thank you so much!

OP
OP
mamareef

mamareef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get xenia. It's a great starter coral. People that know nothing about reefing seem to really enjoy the movement.

Here's the deal: they need to be on their own rock that isn't touching any other rocks. Make a little island for it. It's not an issue till it spreads out past it's plug or whatever it came on. If somehow some breaks away, just put some aptasia x on it.
Thank you!

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are different kinds of Xenia. The common pulsing variety is pretty invasive in my experience. Even on it's own rock, it will grow until the rock is covered then it will start dropping floaters that will land/attach wherever the current takes them. Some of the other varieties grow slower and are easier to manage, but don't pulsate. But it's your tank... do what you want.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenias grow; Kenya Trees shed. I spend too much time in my garden these days to want to spend Saturday mornings weeding KT branchlets out of my builds.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fist coral I put in my tank was a kenya tree and I wish I wouldn't have. I keep saying I'm going to cut it out but I haven't yet. I currently have 3 or 4 small Kenya trees that I need to remove, and those are just the ones that I've missed before they attached.

On the other hand I kinda like my xenia. I have it isolated in my tank and for whatever reason it is growing incredibly slowly.

Back