Should I be concerned about my blue hippo?

hangurber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, here is a brief video of my blue hippo swimming around. It’s belly seems to be tucked, and seems a bit more lethargic than usual.
A bit of context, had it for a little over 2 weeks now, quarantined for 10 days, only observational. Seemed to be fine, and has been in the display for about a week. Eating normally with no issues as of last night.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He looks to be in serious malnourished shape. So, have you seen him poop at all? How much per day is he eating?

OP
OP
hangurber

hangurber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
come to think of it, I have not seen him poop recently. However I would feed a mixture of dry and frozen each night (spirulina mysis) and sometimes baby brine and he would usually eat a lot.

OP
OP
hangurber

hangurber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry foods are sustainable aquatics dry hatchery and seaweed extreme pellets

OP
OP
hangurber

hangurber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No deworming, any tips on how I could do that?

usually once per day in the evening

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Feed him 5 times per day. Unless you can offer him a nori sheet for him to graze when you are not feeding. Once is not enough for any tang of any age. I am sorry.

OP
OP
hangurber

hangurber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood, I’m planning to start adding masstick and nori to the aquarium soon. I just tried feeding some mysis I had on hand and he ate very readily.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Get him fed more, find out what his poop looks like. If it's white and stringy, you need to medicate him for worms. Plenty of information on how to treat for worms. Best to find out first if qt didn't help remove them.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, here is a brief video of my blue hippo swimming around. It’s belly seems to be tucked, and seems a bit more lethargic than usual.
A bit of context, had it for a little over 2 weeks now, quarantined for 10 days, only observational. Seemed to be fine, and has been in the display for about a week. Eating normally with no issues as of last night.
Small blue tangs can be very delicate. As others said, you need to feed them 4+ times per day, as much as they will eat. That said, there is an issue: when a fish becomes very emaciated, they use their liver as food. When that happens, the liver damage isn't repairable. this fish may or may not be at that tipping point.

Jay

p.s. - always avoid "observational quarantine" if you have a quarantine tank, you should give each new fish a comprehensive quarantine process.

Back