Should I be concerned, ORP when I added macro algae?

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very odd to me that when I added macro algae pack from algae barn. And got an alarm from apex that my ORP dropped from 300 to 180 in seconds. Should I be concerned.? I have no idea. Lol

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don’t even pay attention to orp, but do just look at the way it trends. Since you know the drop was after you added the macro, I personally wouldn’t worry. It’ll eventually raise up again.

Randyp79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ORP will drop when there is a death in the tank. ORP dropping can be indication of a fish death in the tank. My guess is, the macro shipped had some die-off that caused your ORP to drop. Absolutely nothing to be concerned about.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ORP drops every time I put seaweed sheets in the tank.

OP
OP
moz71

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks all. Didn’t think any issue but just want to check

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This does not necessarily even have to be connected to small organisms dying in shipment - although I'm sure there was some of that.
Algae can be expected to have a lot of reducing agents (to defend against photo oxidation from the sun), and so it would not surprise me that a bag of it, or dried sheets of it, drops ORP significantly over a short period.

I'm curious if a stable population of macroalgae in the tank permanently lowers ORP by some measurable amount. Update us when the system stabilizes, please.
[Edit: macroalgae not micro.]

Last edited:
OP
OP
moz71

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This does not necessarily even have to be connected to small organisms dying in shipment - although I'm sure there was some of that.
Algae can be expected to have a lot of reducing agents (to defend against photo oxidation from the sun), and so it would not surprise me that a bag of it, or dried sheets of it, drops ORP significantly over a short period.

I'm curious if a stable population of microalgae in the tank permanently lowers ORP by some measurable amount. Update us when the system stabilizes, please.
Thank you, the ORP almost immediately started rising and stabilized at the previous level at the 5 hour mark. Stable since. Interesting!!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back