Should I be dosing anything for ich wounds?

greetl01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thank you to @Jay Hemdal I followed your advice and everything is going well.
I honestly did not think my gramma would last the night. She went from this
C006CE9B-A2E8-4CA0-9512-537533E72E9D.jpeg

To this

FA06B407-648F-4F54-8009-3AF44BD891AB.png

To this. And I am ecstatic!

And now she is eating and swimming a bit. My wrasse died but I discovered a day late that wrasses did not take well to copper.

This should be my last time bothering everyone. Though she’s improving, her skin is all torn from ich. I’ve already dosed Kanaplex, but I was wondering if I should dose something to make her heal faster. Or does Kanaplex cover that?

Also, I was in a hurry to treat so I couldn’t wait on my Hanna copper checker. I dosed according to the instructions on the bottle. It arrived yesterday and I am at .59. Cupramine. All the fish are eating and doing seemingly well. No heavy breathing, not even from the gramma. They’ve been in there a week. Should I bring the Cupramine down or leave them be since they are all doing well? I really don’t want to risk putting them below therapeutic levels but if being over .5 will become too much for them I will.

Also, my copper power arrived as well. If I need to bring the copper down I was thinking I may as well switch over. Is it okay to switch coppers in the the middle of treating? I know I can’t mix them but I have a 5 gallon plastic container I could move them to for a bit while I prepare new water treated with copper power.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Quarantine and use the copper safe at full level 2.0-2.2 and a copper test kit is a must. Monitor the levels as well as water quality in QT

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
greetl01

greetl01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can switch but lower other level of copper first
Do you have any idea of what’s the best way to do that? I really am concerned with going under therapeutic rage. Are we talking remove a gallon at a time or a couple cups? I guess I want to know approximately how much freshwater to take that .09 down. Those reagents are expensive and I don’t want to use too many of them testing after removing a cup of water.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thank you to @Jay Hemdal I followed your advice and everything is going well.
I honestly did not think my gramma would last the night. She went from this
C006CE9B-A2E8-4CA0-9512-537533E72E9D.jpeg

To this

FA06B407-648F-4F54-8009-3AF44BD891AB.png

To this. And I am ecstatic!

And now she is eating and swimming a bit. My wrasse died but I discovered a day late that wrasses did not take well to copper.

This should be my last time bothering everyone. Though she’s improving, her skin is all torn from ich. I’ve already dosed Kanaplex, but I was wondering if I should dose something to make her heal faster. Or does Kanaplex cover that?

Also, I was in a hurry to treat so I couldn’t wait on my Hanna copper checker. I dosed according to the instructions on the bottle. It arrived yesterday and I am at .59. Cupramine. All the fish are eating and doing seemingly well. No heavy breathing, not even from the gramma. They’ve been in there a week. Should I bring the Cupramine down or leave them be since they are all doing well? I really don’t want to risk putting them below therapeutic levels but if being over .5 will become too much for them I will.

Also, my copper power arrived as well. If I need to bring the copper down I was thinking I may as well switch over. Is it okay to switch coppers in the the middle of treating? I know I can’t mix them but I have a 5 gallon plastic container I could move them to for a bit while I prepare new water treated with copper power.
No, you cannot switch copper products without first changing all of the water. I would just perform a small water change to get to 0.50.
Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do you have any idea of what’s the best way to do that? I really am concerned with going under therapeutic rage. Are we talking remove a gallon at a time or a couple cups? I guess I want to know approximately how much freshwater to take that .09 down. Those reagents are expensive and I don’t want to use too many of them testing after removing a cup of water.
Water change and carbon, test for no copper and restart with copper safe once levels are safe

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back