Should I be worried about my Lyretail Wrasse??

Mightythias

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a Melanarus Wrasse from my local fish store. It came in and a friend picked it up for me and acclimated it in my tank while I was away for work. I came home to find what they got me was not a Melanarus wrasse but in fact a Lyretail (aka Lunare) wrasse instead. I know they do not eat or nip at coral but most sites do no recommend these as reef safe because they get huge. Can be very aggressive and tend to eat crabs and snails.
I have a 75g mixed reef tank.

So far he hasn't been terribly aggressive at all. Getting along with all of my tank mates, some of who are on the more aggressive side themselves. But now I worry about adding new fish to the tank after him. I have added two larger fish with success but I worry about some smaller fish that I might be adding in the future. Like Chromis and Cardinal fish.
I also have not observed him killing or eating any inverts. But I do find the occasional snail flipped over. I flip it back and everything is fine.

I am wondering if I should just leave him in there since everything is happy. Or if I should be worried and take him out. Is the Lyretail a ticking time bomb or a good addition to my tank?

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the lunar years ago and it was a model tank citizen, but I didn't have coral back then. It never bothered my inverts

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thalassoma lunare isn’t a great choice for reef tanks. As it matures it’ll be strong enough to rip frags and corals off rocks in the search of food. They also become quite aggressive.

Last edited:

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Lyretail a ticking time bomb or a good addition to my tank?
I think you'll eventually have problems. Ideally, I would trap it and take it back to the LFS. You did order something else than what you received. A melanurus would be great for your 75, so I would get that.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back