Should I be worried about my regal angel??

Lil' RegalReefster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, about 6 days ago I bought a regal angel from the Maldives, he seems to be doing great although he only eats clams on the half shell (dang these fish are picky:) and hasn't eaten anything else yet. Around three days ago I noticed some white spots on his tail and upper fin. At first I thought it was ich so I did a small dose of kick ich and rally. I later noticed the spots were getting bigger and realized the spots were probably lympho. Just wanted to double check and get some second opinions on what this might be. Here are the best pics I could get:
Thx to anyone who can help or tries to help :)

20201111_173836.jpg 20201111_173808.jpg 20201111_173757.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spots on the tail do look like Lymphocystis. The ones on the dorsal fin could also be, BUT I see some notching of the fin, and lymphocystis adds tissue, doesn’t eat it away, but bacterial infections do, so that bears watching.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you treating with anything else yet? I see some other spots on the soft dorsal, you don’t want to get behind the eight ball when it comes to effective quarantine, those two meds are not normally used n a comprehensive Q protocol.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
At first I thought lympho but lymphocystis generally spreads beyond fins unless the fish arrived with this in bag. The Lymphocystis nodules are clustered groups of greatly enlarged, infected cells known as fibroblasts, which are part of the connective tissues in the fish
My other suspect was that this is a sign of marine parasite known as Cryptocaryon - marine white spot disease which is a ciliated protozoan Cryptocaryon irritans. Although other parasites such as Oodinium and Brooklynella can also cause spots on the fish fins and body at one stage in their life cycle, Cryptocaryon progresses more slowly. Cryptocaryon usually appears at the onset as salt-sized white spots visible on the body and fins.
If detected early and treated promptly upon an outbreak, the chances of recovery are high.
I lean towards Lympho

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lil' RegalReefster

Lil' RegalReefster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am waiting on some prazipro to arrive, is that effective on any bacterial infection or the cryptocaryon. If you have any advice it would be much appreciated.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%

Back