SHOULD I BE WORRIED??

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so for the longest time I've been hesitant to put emerald crabs in my tank because I have seen them eat corals before. About a year ago I put one in My tank and on the first day I WATCHED him devour one of my zoa frags. As time went on I thought "maybe the zoa was dying and that's why he ate it". so I decided to put one in my 14g cube a week ago because I had some bubble algea in there and now I see him lurking on one of my torches. Let me know if you guys think I should take him out or not. I know it's a 50/50 chance that things will be ok but I'll go with whatever the majority here thinks. Thanks in advance for your help!

20211108_193353.jpg

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an emerald that would do that too, just hang out at the base of my frogspawn. He never picked at it though, it almost seemed like that was just his spot to hang.

I'm not saying yours won't pick at your coral though. I know they're capable of it, but I had one do this same thing without actually attacking the coral.

Keep an eye on that coral but I'd give the guy a chance.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take him out. I put some in my tank to eat bubble algae and didn’t do much on that but one big one proceeded to eat a large chunk out of my clam mantle. So out they came. Clam recovered nicely. Never trust them again! Maybe there are some that prefer different meat!

OP
OP
PeterB113

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take him out. I put some in my tank to eat bubble algae and didn’t do much on that but one big one proceeded to eat a large chunk out of my clam mantle. So out they came. Clam recovered nicely. Never trust them again! Maybe there are some that prefer different meat!
He did get rid of all traces of bubble algea which is great! But that's also why I'm worried now that there's barely any algea left maybe he'll start going after coral.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He did get rid of all traces of bubble algea which is great! But that's also why I'm worried now that there's barely any algea left maybe he'll start going after coral.
Mine do the same and seem to just eat some slime off the torch. I’d keep an eye on him. Getting him out could be another adventure as well. They are elusive. I’ve had some luck with long tweezers just to reduce my overall population. Happy hunting.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are wise. Although mine went right to clam you often hear if not enough food they will become opportunistic. Watch closely

Back