Should I consider my tank 30 or 40g?

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 30 gallon reef tank with a 10 gallon sump and I’m adding fish. I want to add 5 small fish over time. Two clowns a firefish a sand goby and a royal gramma. My question is can I add these taking into consideration the sump size or do I consider the tank 30g and skip on the basslet? Only add 4 fish.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank size this includes not only gallons but dimensions and rock work for hiding and swimming room

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For fish load, total gallons, including sump.
Use only the display tank though when considering a fish's adult size requirement.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of my scape. What do you guys think, can I add 5 fish? I tried not to use too many rocks in the dt and added a lot of biological filtration in the sump.

CD9040F3-2968-4DC1-B037-76A71A0CECB6.jpeg

Last edited:

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have more verticle structures that can somewhat partition the swimming space,, i can see it work with your stocking. With a sump the bioload shouldn't bee a big issue but territory may be. As yiu have it now. I can see the 2 clowns claiming the entire top and mid layer swimming column, the basslet claim a cave in the bottom and the immediate space around the cave on the bottom layer. And the gobie claiming a piece of the bot layer and sand. This leaves no room for the firefish, that also likes the mid swimming layer.

If you have more vertical structures it may be easier because the clown pair will claim one side of the mid/top swimming space, the basslet/gobie still share the bot, and you leave the other half of the mid/top layer on the other side of the structure for another free swimmer to claim.

See my tank in build thread. I have almost same stocking with clown x2, goby, basslet. My 5th is a yellow belly damsel instead of firefish that takes up residence in the other side of the taller rockwork while the 2 clowns take the majority of the other side.

Edit: most are adult size now ranging from 3 to 4.5 inches

Last edited:
OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have more verticle structures that can somewhat partition the swimming space,, i can see it work with your stocking. With a sump the bioload shouldn't bee a big issue but territory may be. As yiu have it now. I can see the 2 clowns claiming the entire top and mid layer swimming column, the basslet claim a cave in the bottom and the immediate space around the cave on the bottom layer. And the gobie claiming a piece of the bot layer and sand. This leaves no room for the firefish, that also likes the mid swimming layer.

If you have more vertical structures it may be easier because the clown pair will claim one side of the mid/top swimming space, the basslet/gobie still share the bot, and you leave the other half of the mid/top layer on the other side of the structure for another free swimmer to claim.

See my tank in build thread. I have almost same stocking with clown x2, goby, basslet. My 5th is a yellow belly damsel instead of firefish that takes up residence in the other side of the taller rockwork while the 2 clowns take the majority of the other side.

Edit: most are adult size now ranging from 3 to 4.5 inches
I forgot to mention that I already have the two clowns and firefish living in harmony for the past 4 months, and I’m planning one getting a goby. I guess I’ll pass on the basslet.
You don’t see them in this pic because my tank got ich and I’m performing a fallow period.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you mentioned the clowns had the middle front of the tank. The firefish had the left rock part. I don’t think a goby would bother much as it would stay near the bottom. This leaves the right space empty. When I had a basslet in my old tank I remember it kind of staying on one side and around a cave so I’m not sure if that was normal or a special case. If it’s normal wouldn’t it be able to stay on the right side of the tank?

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the basslet and gobie cab share the bottom no problem. Main concern was the lack of natural boundary between the two middle layer free swimmers. But if they are already peacefully coexisting, then you have a better chance of keeping the peace long term as they get bigger

I have a black cap basslet in mine, they are more deeper water fish so know to stay on the bottom layer and in caves. I had an RG before the black cap and remember it was pretty shy and stayed near it cave too but it did occasionally swim up and visit the clowns more.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the basslet and gobie cab share the bottom no problem. Main concern was the lack of natural boundary between the two middle layer free swimmers. But if they are already peacefully coexisting, then you have a better chance of keeping the peace long term as they get bigger

I have a black cap basslet in mine, they are more deeper water fish so know to stay on the bottom layer and in caves. I had an RG before the black cap and remember it was pretty shy and stayed near it cave too but it did occasionally swim up and visit the clowns more.
Great. I added the firefish for a while before the clowns. So it can create its territory, and then added a pair of almost full grown percula clowns. They fought for a week and then stopped. They are even living peacefully right know in a 10g hospital tank with minimal hiding spaces.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back