SHOULD I CUT THIS HEAD OFF?

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so this hammer I have hasn't been doing well for a while now. Only one head opens regularly and the other is always retraced and is now showing skeleton. Should I just dremel off the bad head? Should I just dip and clean the sponge/algea off of it? This hammer was originally 4 heads and I dremeled it to make two 2headed frags. Let me know what you guys think I should do, I'm not sure if it's too far gone to save or not.

20210830_202104.jpg 20210830_202034.jpg 20210830_202032.jpg 20210830_202025.jpg

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so this hammer I have hasn't been doing well for a while now. Only one head opens regularly and the other is always retraced and is now showing skeleton. Should I just dremel off the bad head? Should I just dip and clean the sponge/algea off of it? This hammer was originally 4 heads and I dremeled it to make two 2headed frags. Let me know what you guys think I should do, I'm not sure if it's too far gone to save or not.

20210830_202104.jpg 20210830_202034.jpg 20210830_202032.jpg 20210830_202025.jpg
Yes. I would cut off the necrotic stalk.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've been trying different approaches with this exact same issue... I've tried dipping and not fragging, leaving it be without doing anything, fragging without dipping, and fragging with dipping...
IME, it really doesn't make a difference. If it's dying, I've had the same results with fragging and not fragging.
I usually let it do it's thing (as long as you have good CUC and stable parameters) and then frag it once it's fully cleaned. Seems that the surviving coral do well with this approach. Since the second head is really a separate coral, there really is nothing urgent about doing anything. I'd just frag it once it's fully decayed... but that's me. In nature, it wouldn't do anything but decay and remain a skeleton.

OP
OP
PeterB113

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've been trying different approaches with this exact same issue... I've tried dipping and not fragging, leaving it be without doing anything, fragging without dipping, and fragging with dipping...
IME, it really doesn't make a difference. If it's dying, I've had the same results with fragging and not fragging.
I usually let it do it's thing (as long as you have good CUC and stable parameters) and then frag it once it's fully cleaned. Seems that the surviving coral do well with this approach. Since the second head is really a separate coral, there really is nothing urgent about doing anything. I'd just frag it once it's fully decayed... but that's me. In nature, it wouldn't do anything but decay and remain a skeleton.
I hear u I just don't want the head that's doing well to die I think I'm going to clean and dip it tonight give it a day or 2 and see how things look. If it doesn't get better I think I'll just cut off the bad head in hopes of saving the good one.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back