Should I Cycle if I have Premixed Saltwater, Live Rock, and Sand?

kxnji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought the Red Sea Nano max Perninsula along with Premixed Saltwater from my local store, live rock, live sand, and a heater. Should I be adding anything extra to the water?? Should I be letting it cycle??? Or am I good to go?? I am soooo new to this and have done a good amount of research but am confused on how I should approach this, I would really appreciate some help. Thanks!

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought the Red Sea Nano max Perninsula along with Premixed Saltwater from my local store, live rock, live sand, and a heater. Should I be adding anything extra to the water?? Should I be letting it cycle??? Or am I good to go?? I am soooo new to this and have done a good amount of research but am confused on how I should approach this, I would really appreciate some help. Thanks!
if you don't have it already, some sort of mechanical filter media (filter sock, filter floss).

Tests for at least Ammonia and Nitrates. (NOT API as they tend to be faulty)

Do you have live rock, dry "live" rock, or liferock? (wet live rock with algae and such on it pulled from a farm somewhere is the real "live" rock. The other two aren't bad, they just aren't really "live")

Most people cycle nowadays without fish, using bottled bacteria. You can find some online or in stores (Dr. Tims, Microbactr, Etc.)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all we have to do to name your cycle close date is define live rock

was it wet, from a pet store holding tank, that looked like this:

skip cycle.jpg

that is a vat of 100% skip cycle live rock from a pet store, when anyone buys that and moves it to their home, the new tank is instantly aged and cycled. with no further help

there is no mini cycle

nothing dies off in the transfer

all bacteria ride to the other home just fine, because they're tough not weak

no bottle bac is used

no ammonia testing using non digital gear is used in the assessment, we don't test these types of cycles for a reason, we trust the process. this rock transfer technique runs every reef convention ever made for forty years, where hundreds of ready reefs are all ready by the convention start date, because they skipped the common wait cycled used by dry rock setups.

eight pages of instantly skip cycled reefs:

that's a thread dedicated to tracking tanks that are set up in one day, because the cycle was skipped.

Last edited:

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the tank needs to cycle before you can add fish, unless you used true live rock (was it wet or dry when you bought it?)

you will also need some test kits if you don't already have them (not API test kit)

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't add fish until the tank is fully cycled. There are tons of threads explaining how to cycle a tank properly.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As said, actual live rock that is pulled from water is good to go.

Dry rock that is labeled "live" is not live and will need to be cycled.

Live sand is more hype than anything. So if you used live sand and dry rock, you need to cycle the tank.

Premixed water will do nothing. Will need to cycle of used dry rock and live or dead sand.

So the question all lies in the rock. Which was used?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
"Live sand" is generally sand that's had some bottled bacteria type cultures added. It may or may not get your tank to being cycled, and it's safe to assume it won't. Pre-mixed saltwater will have little to no useful bacteria, so that's out. Now, the rock, depending on what that was, might have given you an instant cycle.

What does the rock look like? What's on it? Green algae, purple algae, any other critters? How did the LFS store it?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we can't move fwd in the thread until the op responds with his rock sourcing. his cycle will be 100% wrapped up when we know the sourcing.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Seven years ago I started my reef with tank matured live rock from Petco. I bought some live rock and 2 clowns at the same time and it did not cycle. No amonia problem. Then a week later bought more rock and a new fish. Did this until I was fully stocked in my 46 gallon bowfront. After 2 years I had coral growing and all fish survived and still had them 7 years later until I sold everything just last week. You can do it. This is my 46 after 2 years 5 years ago.

Attachments

• 20200929_103201[777].jpg
    20200929_103201[777].jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 134

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey nice one Anthony, that's a reef convention skip cycle indeed. nice one, that's updated cycling science in action.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mini cycles don't happen in reefing.

extended ammonia noncontrol events outside of dead fish killed by disease or hardware or acclimation issues don't happen in display tank reefing (ammonia never rises first, to kill the fish)

anything we read to the contrary is simply an owner of a non digital test kit, believing the reading, and reefing peers supporting that misbelief.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the specific mechanism in reefing displays that prevents mini cycles:

surface area + swirling water. all of us have that in a reef display. the rebound time for ammonia test loading added is already charted for thirty straight pages in seneye digital nh3 threads, and at no time did it take longer than 15 minutes.

there is no possible mechanism in a normal-running reef display that allows for .25 or .5 ammonia to be uncontrolled for days on end; that's a common misread from a cheap test kit and our readers have believed this notion was possible for 30 years because we've barely got digital nh3 meters on the market 9 years ago to undo the false learning.

you either have a tank that can control ammonia and follows the 15 mins resolve pathway, or you don't have a cycled tank and the ammonia can't be resolved at all and kills everything added, which I've never seen posted to the internet before. there is no middle ground cycle, we all have too much swirl + rock area to allow for that. no calibrated seneye owner in the history of the device has ever posted an extended mini cycle event, they don't occur.

quarantine setups can get cycles and mini cycles because they don't use live rock. they run low surface area compared to a display.

any small worm that may die on a live rock transfer (1) is merely the same test loading at a fractional rate that the seneye users were adding here (it's instantly resolved, 15 mins delays are for real tangible test loads)

Last edited:

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing is to identify where the rocks come from .
even the wet rocks most lfs sell are not necessarily live ( living bacteria )
Has there been any nitrifying bacteria dosed it was an ammonia source added to the running system ?
is there any algae or diatoms growing ?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey nice one Anthony, that's a reef convention skip cycle indeed. nice one, that's updated cycling science in action.
Thanks Brandon. Unfortunately I had problems with keeping coral alive, algae and dinos growing out of control. I tried everything that was suggested by experienced reefers here and nothing helped, tried for 8 months. I upgraded my 46 to a 75 three years ago and I have arthritis so bad and tired of all the work, just gave up and sold all fish and rock. Fish I have no problems with keeping. I now turned my 75 into an African Malawi Cichlid tank, I have 30 one inch babies now.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that must have been a really virulent strain to overtake real live rock/that's the worst invasion in reefing so far/evil dinos

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that must have been a really virulent strain to overtake real live rock/that's the worst invasion in reefing so far/evil dinos
This pic was 2 years ago, one year after upgrade. Started off going well, free of nuisance algae. Nothing was added or changed and then 2 years after the upgrade my reef started to die off, dinos and algae started to take over covering the rocks and sand smothering my corals. I don't know if I have recent pics, too depressing to look at.

Attachments

• IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 150

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you have good success with what ever you decide. But I do believe using any type of live rock is better than dry rock. Good for you to ask questions here before you do anything, do not rush into anything. good luck. I have enjoyed my reefing for close to seven years but in my condition I cannot keep up with the required maintenance.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its hilarious when the OP in threads takes so long to respond, six pages of completely opposing instructions have built up for them heh. maybe chatgpt can give him the answer :) when he responds.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back