Should I dip euphyllias?

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I got my very first corals just over 1.5 weeks ago. I dipped all of them in Coral RX and are now in a coral QT. I had bought 2 euphyllias. A frogspawn and a hammer. Unfortunately my frogspawn got brown jelly disease and is now gone. I'm afraid that the hammer also has it now. I've read where some people say that euphyllias shouldn't be dipped because they can get damaged by the dip? Is this true? I think I'm going to step back and only get softies since I'm a newb to reefing. However when I decide to get some torches again, I'm wondering what I should do to minimize the chance of them getting brown jelly disease.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have a qt tank you could always just observe and only dip if theres an issue. Ive never had a problem dipping euphyllia with an iodine based dip though.

OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Since you have a qt tank you could always just observe and only dip if theres an issue. Ive never had a problem dipping euphyllia with an iodine based dip though.
I have a few different dips on order now since someone suggested dipping the frogspawn in iodine. Unfortunately it didn't arrive in time. Maybe when I do decide to get another euphyllia, I will dip it in iodine instead of coral rx. I'm also guessing my coral dying is why I have ammonia in my coral QT?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip every coral that goes into my tank in Bayer, although I don't quarantine any corals. I'm also not sure what dips are helpful against BJD. So far I've never killed a coral from dipping it, including euphyllia.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hundred ways to do this, but I dip everything in Bayer for 30 minutes, then Seachem Reef Dip iodine for 30 minutes, then rinse and into quarantine. A week later I repeat. A week or so after that repeat and into the DT. I also inspect with a magnifying glass for vermetids.

OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was reading a thread where some people say the risk of damaging euphyllias by dipping isn't worth the benefit. Only 1.5 weeks into buying my first coral I've lost 1 to bjd and I'm sure the other also has it so I'm bummed. They weren't small frags either. So it seems like everyone thinks that it's okay to dip euphyllias. Maybe going forward I'll dip in iodine since that was one suggestion to get rid of bjd.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few different dips on order now since someone suggested dipping the frogspawn in iodine. Unfortunately it didn't arrive in time. Maybe when I do decide to get another euphyllia, I will dip it in iodine instead of coral rx. I'm also guessing my coral dying is why I have ammonia in my coral QT?
Yes dying coral will cause ammonia, i would recommend to keep the qt tank running and cycled so it can process ammonia if needed.

I would also recommend getting an antibacterial medicine in case you ever get bjd again. Cipro works well for this and can be bought on chewy.com

OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes dying coral will cause ammonia, i would recommend to keep the qt tank running and cycled so it can process ammonia if needed.

I would also recommend getting an antibacterial medicine in case you ever get bjd again. Cipro works well for this and can be bought on chewy.com
Okay thanks. I have bought Lugol's iodine, hydrogen peroxide, and reef primer to combat bjd. I guess I'll have to add Cipro too. :)

prisse67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my very first corals just over 1.5 weeks ago. I dipped all of them in Coral RX and are now in a coral QT. I had bought 2 euphyllias. A frogspawn and a hammer. Unfortunately my frogspawn got brown jelly disease and is now gone. I'm afraid that the hammer also has it now. I've read where some people say that euphyllias shouldn't be dipped because they can get damaged by the dip? Is this true? I think I'm going to step back and only get softies since I'm a newb to reefing. However when I decide to get some torches again, I'm wondering what I should do to minimize the chance of them getting brown jelly disease.
You can use reef primer by poly lab it’s a different type of dip that’s helps against bjd and necrosis

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had a Torch that got BJD. Iodine (Seachem Reef Dip) didn't do anything.

I researched afterwards and it seems like the only thing that might help is Cipro.

I dipped my Torch (in Coral RX and Reef Dip) and put it in my DT where it seemed to be fine. It was only subsequently, when I saw an unknown hitchhiker on the skeleton, that I took it out and put it back in my QT, where it went down with BJD. I'm pretty sure that it was originally unaffected by the Coral RX or Reef Dip.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was reading a thread where some people say the risk of damaging euphyllias by dipping isn't worth the benefit. Only 1.5 weeks into buying my first coral I've lost 1 to bjd and I'm sure the other also has it so I'm bummed. They weren't small frags either. So it seems like everyone thinks that it's okay to dip euphyllias. Maybe going forward I'll dip in iodine since that was one suggestion to get rid of bjd.
Walled euphyllias are easy to damage and lose. If you like hammers and frogs, maybe buy from a local reefer? Branching hammers and frogspawn are very easy to care for.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've since stopped dipping euphyllia and have had a significant improvement in success. I started off dipping everything prior to placing in my euphyllia tank. I repeatedly lost 25-30% of my euphyllia within 48-72 hrs of introduction. Since I stopped dipping, now 4 wks in and 0 loss after introduction.
Of note, I spoke with one of the importers who also noted that he stopped dipping euphyllia due to the stress it causes and the rate of loss due to this. Aussies are particularly sensitive and he said "it's the kiss of death"
Dipping coral is stressful and doing so immediately after receiving them and then introducing them into a "new" environment, only adds to that stress; eventually leading to demise.
I only dip my euphyllia if there is any evidence of pests. Otherwise, I leave them be...

OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've since stopped dipping euphyllia and have had a significant improvement in success. I started off dipping everything prior to placing in my euphyllia tank. I repeatedly lost 25-30% of my euphyllia within 48-72 hrs of introduction. Since I stopped dipping, now 4 wks in and 0 loss after introduction.
Of note, I spoke with one of the importers who also noted that he stopped dipping euphyllia due to the stress it causes and the rate of loss due to this. Aussies are particularly sensitive and he said "it's the kiss of death"
Dipping coral is stressful and doing so immediately after receiving them and then introducing them into a "new" environment, only adds to that stress; eventually leading to demise.
I only dip my euphyllia if there is any evidence of pests. Otherwise, I leave them be...
It's funny that you mention Aussies. The place that I get my corals from have predominantly Aussie corals. The frogspawn that developed bjd only a couple of days after getting it was an Australian frogspawn. Comments like yours is why I'm asking this question about whether I should dip euphyllias. Thank you for your input.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had an issue Bayer dipping euphyllia.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Builders had a video of a flat worm infestation of a euphyllia tank. If you saw that, you'd dip. No problems with Bayer here, either.

OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Maybe what I should do when I decide to get another euphyllia is to not get an Aussie and to use Bayer instead of Coral Rx.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not dipping increases the risk of introducing pests to your DT. Lugol's (usually containing Iodine as opposed to Iodide) is supposed to disinfect corals, but doesn't really do much to kill pests. This is why many people dip in both Lugol's and something like Bayer. BJD is contagious and can spread from one coral to another. As stated above Cipro is supposed to be effective in treatment if caught early enough. I've also had success with Melafix in treating BJD.

It's your tank so do what you want, but I dip/scrub and de-plug every coral before it goes in my tank.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't agree with BJD being contagious. There is no way it can be... as a physician, I will tell you that bacterial infections are NOT contagious. They can only create issues if the host is immunocompromised. I've have a full euphyllia tank (more than 3 dozen coral) and have not experienced anything of the sort, even though I've had, just like others, corals die of BJD.
If the other corals are well maintained and are established, BJD won't effect them. It will destroy the colony, but not other corals. It has to do with coral immune systems and the ability of said coral to fight off any infestation from bacteria. Any slight damage to the tissue will cause demise, not unlike human skin getting infected after a cut.
Yes, you can get pests, but if you observe the coral and watch for pests...
Having lost more than my fair share of euphyllia to BJD, my success with it changed dramatically when I stopped trying "to do what I can"... once I stopped dipping and stressing the coral even more than it was already stressed, my success has improved dramatically.
I know I'm out in left field on this, but from a clinical standpoint, it makes perfect sense. No different than someone being hospitalized for bacterial pneumonia; not everyone in the household gets the bacterial infection.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't agree with BJD being contagious. There is no way it can be... as a physician, I will tell you that bacterial infections are NOT contagious. They can only create issues if the host is immunocompromised. I've have a full euphyllia tank (more than 3 dozen coral) and have not experienced anything of the sort, even though I've had, just like others, corals die of BJD.
If the other corals are well maintained and are established, BJD won't effect them. It will destroy the colony, but not other corals. It has to do with coral immune systems and the ability of said coral to fight off any infestation from bacteria. Any slight damage to the tissue will cause demise, not unlike human skin getting infected after a cut.
Yes, you can get pests, but if you observe the coral and watch for pests...
Having lost more than my fair share of euphyllia to BJD, my success with it changed dramatically when I stopped trying "to do what I can"... once I stopped dipping and stressing the coral even more than it was already stressed, my success has improved dramatically.
I know I'm out in left field on this, but from a clinical standpoint, it makes perfect sense. No different than someone being hospitalized for bacterial pneumonia; not everyone in the household gets the bacterial infection.

Streptococcal bacteria is not contagious? Since when?

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From things I read, it's a ciliate protozoan, not bacteria that causes it. Which can spread, and is why many people will cut off diseased heads to stop any spreading.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back