Should I Do a Water Change?

Chef Mateo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I've had my IM 25 Lagoon for about 2 years and have cyano problems for the first year or so before I got things down. Around the 1 yr mark it really changed though and was looking good. But recently (about a 2-3 weeks ago) it came back. I believe the reason it came back is because of lockdown I don't have to RO water I normally have so I had to use tap water and am worried that was the reason. I did 2 water changes with tap water. I've tried chemiclean in the past but it seemed to upset my corals. I am currently dosing RED SEA NO3: PO4-X for the past two days. The cyano looks really bad right now should I do a water change, I have access to RO Water now. Should I maybe do like a 40% or 60% change instead of my normal 20% water changes. Or not do a water change at all and let the chemical do it's thing or should I try something else out?

Thank you just worried...

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get stuck again, distilled water from the shop would be a better option than tap water.

Bkwudz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would follow the directions as far as length of time the chemical should be in the tank. Try to siphon out as much cyano as possible while siphoning water out. Use RO water as much as possible...the tap water can have lots of pollutants in it to feed algae/cyano.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do two water changes a week over one big one. Cyano isn’t a huge problem and will go away if the problem is solved. It is more of an eye sore to us the the tank. If it chokes out coral keep them clean by blowing of.

OP
OP
Chef Mateo

Chef Mateo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would follow the directions as far as length of time the chemical should be in the tank. Try to siphon out as much cyano as possible while siphoning water out. Use RO water as much as possible...the tap water can have lots of pollutants in it to feed algae/cyano.
Ok will do I have full access to RO water now so won't be using any more tap. Will siphon tomorrow morning and try to keep up with it daily or every other day. Thanks for the advice. :)

I would do two water changes a week over one big one. Cyano isn’t a huge problem and will go away if the problem is solved. It is more of an eye sore to us the the tank. If it chokes out coral keep them clean by blowing of.

Ok will do I'll do one tomorrow and start doing them every 3-4 days. It is not allowing for my GSP to fully open right now but my Duncan coral is as happy as ever. Thanks for the advice. :)

Back